Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 8,337 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was recently notified that I have been accepted for grad school in a couple of institutes, one of which is UW-M. I am now trying to get some clue of how it's like to live in Madison as a grad student.

I'm 27 years old, and have been living in Tel Aviv since birth. Tel Aviv is the Israeli metropolis, there's always something to do and it's difficult to find yourself getting bored. The night life is very diverse, be it restaurants/bars/pubs/dance bars in every corner, in every genre, for any age. I like that. I never feel "old" there because the places in which I hang out are full of people within my age. In Israel, we only start college at the age of 22 (after three years of military service, and another year of saving up cash/travelling), so most grads are 25-26 years old.

My biggest concern, being 27, is that I'll be older than most undergrads/grads. To be honest I have no idea how the population is distributed (age wise), I guess there's a large number of college kids, but what else? Can an older grad student who enjoys night life find his way there?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,318,987 times
Well, now, I don't know that you'd be all that much older than a lot of them, at least the grad students. It's not all that unusual to find grad students in their late 20s here. For that matter, even undergrads aren't all teenagers. I don't think you'd have too much difficulty in finding kindred souls reasonably close to your age.

Where I do see a potential sticking point for you is that Madison, as much as I love it, is not by any stretch of the imagination a big city, nor does it have big-city-style nightlife. It's pretty lively for a little burg of 240K people, but it can't hold a candle to the kind of activity you'd find in Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis-St. Paul or St. Louis. There's State Street, which runs between the UW campus and the capitol building, where you'll find plenty of bars and restaurants, and there's Langdon Street with all its fraternity houses, where you can drink your way from one frat party to the next pretty much every weekend evening, but once you get a few blocks away from downtown, things get quiet in a hurry. From your description of Tel Aviv, I suspect you might find Madison something of a letdown.

Oh, and just FYI, most folks generally refer to the University of Wisconsin in Madison as just the UW. Usually when people see UW-M, they think of the University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. I'm assuming since you posted in the Madison forum, you are referring to the Madison campus; if I am incorrect and you are asking about Milwaukee's campus, let me know and I can move the thread over to the Milwaukee forum for you.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 PM

4 posts, read 8,337 times
I was indeed talking about University of Wisconsin in Madison, thank you for pointing that out.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:33 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,410,268 times
UW-Madison has something like 10,000 graduate students alone, many from all over the world, so you'll probably blend right in with that community age-wise. The bigger question is if Madison is a happening enough place for you. Madison is A LOT colder than Tel Aviv too, so that may gimp its nightlife a bit compared to what you are used to. It's hard to enjoy a fun night out during a winter blizzard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison