U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Please contact Eagle Heights management and ask them for photos rather than requesting them here. Thanks.
Yeah I tried that at first place. but they provide only the floor plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 AM

742 posts, read 414,955 times
I used to live in a 2 BR in Eagle Heights with my wife and 2 children! Yes, small, too small for us but we managed. The 1 BR for a couple without children should work fine for while. The location is great.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 417 times
My roots in Madison, where I was born, go way back. I lived in a one bedroom in Eagle Heights with my wife at that time in the later-1980s as a married graduate student. I had grown up within blocks of Eagle Heights, attending the local schools in the 1960s-70s. As a small child 25 years earlier, I had lived in nearby University Houses, a nearby housing complex usually for newly hired professors and post-doctoral fellows.

Does this sound like information that is too old? I've kept up-to-date with my hometown, rooted for its sports teams, read its newspapers, contributed to the best candidates, donated to favorite local charities, and cheered the city's relative prosperity ever since I left.

On the outside, Eagle Heights apartments look a lot like the family housing built around bases of the U.S. Army, Navy, and Coast Guard.

The small apartments in Eagle heights have received a cosmetic upgrade since when I was there. They improved the windows and insulation somewhat and replaced kitchen appliances. You have outdoor parking spaces, one per household. When I lived there residents maintained a small co-op grocery and day-care center. You could also get a small but surprising productive gardening plot, upon which you were expected to use organic growing methods. (Of course, Madison has barely a four-month growing season.)

Eagle Heights is an extremely safe neighborhood with tremendous ethnic diversity (future chemical engineers and biologists from every religion and continent on Earth). Eagle Heights is where India meets Pakistan, China meets Korea and Japan, Israel meets Palestine, and plenty of Wisconsin natives live there as graduate students too. It makes the local school (Shorewood Elementary) successful and diverse. All the children really are above average.

Bus transportation is excellent, except that it is centered on getting people to the main parts of the campus, of which this is a backwater. But bicycling and walking are safe and popular. Although the bus to the University is frequent, convenient, and cheap, connecting through a larger hub on the main campus, there are no comparable connections to the handful of large grocery stores. Since my time, more upscale (and expensive) grocery stores such as Whole Foods and Trader Joes have prospered at the expense of moderate priced stores of the past (Kohls, Sentry). if you walk or ride a bike to campus, or to shop at Whole Foods, you'll be on safe streets with little traffic. For about four months each year, you may face Siberian type winter conditions, although Madison does seem to be warming.

I'm happy for you and your wife coming to live in my home town. Madison's exiles often still feel they belong and remember Madison fondly. Before I was 12, I had made friends from all parts of the world.

Last edited by Howard-M; 06-19-2013 at 06:33 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 AM

742 posts, read 414,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard-M View Post
Eagle Heights is an extremely safe neighborhood with tremendous ethnic diversity (future chemical engineers and biologists from every religion and continent on Earth). Eagle Heights is where India meets Pakistan, China meets Korea and Japan, Israel meets Palestine, and plenty of Wisconsin natives live there as graduate students too. It makes the local school (Shorewood Elementary) successful and diverse. All the children really are above average.
This was by far my favorite part of Eagle Heights. Unfortunately, life moves on and success demands you to eventually find a larger place to live with more comfort but my family surely miss the incredibly rich cultural diversity of the area. And like you said, it's not just international people that lives in the community. They are indeed the majority, but we met plenty of Americans enjoying their time in the community too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison