Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,665 times

Advertisements

Me and my boyfriend are moving to park village apartments in madison on south park street. we are [mod]snip[/mod] 20 and 21. Should we not be moving there. we [mod]snip[/mod] just dont wanna be gettin jumped. could anyone give advice on the area and what we should be concerned about. We will be taking the bus so we would be waiting at bus stops. please help we are suppose to move in less than a month and really like the place just wanna be sure we will be safe.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 07-21-2013 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Removed unnecessary remarks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 07:09 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
That's not the best neighborhood, to be honest. You can be safe there, but you need to be sensible about things. Don't walk alone after dark, don't walk around intoxicated, don't walk around distracted by being on your cell phone, don't carry or flash a lot of money or valuables, and remember to keep your apartment door locked at all times, including when you are at home and awake.

The sad truth is that pretty much any one-bedroom apartment in Madison that is renting for under $750 is going to be in a sketchy neighborhood. Rentals are really, really expensive here. If you need a low-priced apartment, it's either going to be way the heck out in the remote parts of Dane County or else it's going to be in an iffy part of town.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:28 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
The sad truth is that pretty much any one-bedroom apartment in Madison that is renting for under $750 is going to be in a sketchy neighborhood. Rentals are really, really expensive here. If you need a low-priced apartment, it's either going to be way the heck out in the remote parts of Dane County or else it's going to be in an iffy part of town.

Well said, I agree. Spend a little more on rent and you'll avoid the rif raf. You may have to cut some things in your budget to afford a nicer place, however its worth it.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
I don't understand why you say you are moving to a neighborhood (you must have already seen the place and surroundings) that you felt was fine at the time and now, you are suddenly worried about it. Why didn't you post before you got yourself into this? Clearly you saw what the area was about when you saw the complex.

All I can say is, good luck and you aparently have a good idea what to look out for.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:17 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
Oh, for pities sake. It isn't the the best neighborhood in the world, but follow MWBW advice and you will be fine. Just because there are lots of minorities in the neighborhood doesn't mean you are going to be "jumped." They live there because they are not well off and it is one of the cheapest parts of town. I cat sat for a couple who lived in those apartments (young, white in their early 20's), and I never felt threatened. That said, I would also take Josh's advice and save up your money or rework your budget so that when your lease is up, you can move somewhere nicer. If you have signed a lease you are going to have to suck it up and live there for a year - or lose a ton of money on the deal.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
It depends on what you're used to, I'm sure. I live in Milwaukee and there isn't a single area of Madison that would intimidate me at any time of the day. When I moved to Madison many years back after college, I hadn't lived in a city bigger than 30,000 and there were areas that seemed "scary" as hell. If you're new to town and haven't been in a "city" living situation before, maybe spend a little extra per month and cut out; if you like the apartment and can handle yourself, don't worry about it, it isn't an extremely unsafe area compared to what many other cities offer.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:29 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
we lived for a year off Park/Badger in the 80's and it wasnt great back then; BUT common sense especially at night would go a long way on your side. The complex we were in at the time didnt allow children and actually itself had little trouble compared to some places behind the old 7-11 (i cant say if that's around or not).
As noted earlier, if one comes in from tougher neighborhoods or cities, then areas off Park, Badger, etc can seem pretty tame. We have good friends that lived in the 2000's in the Badger rd/Fish hatch area. I was not always comfortable going there at night to visit, but they had zero issues and considering where they came from in Mil and Chi it was a nice place for them to live.
I'll add this: one can get 'jumped' while walking around campus area/downtown, and homes/cars in normally quiet 'burb's can be broken into just as easily as those in an apt complex. Be smart no matter where you live and you'll be a step ahead of any trouble.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Somebody could look this up, (I'm too lazy), but I seem to remember that the last few times I heard of a crime like this, somebody being jumped, having someone shake them down for money, or their cell phone or whatever, was around the campus to State Street area, U Ave, Johnson, etc.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:01 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
People get mugged on campus all the time because criminals go down there to "roll the drunks." People, especially students, get blasted and then walk down dark alleys in the middle of the night. If you are stupid you can be the victim of crime anywhere.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
And again last night. Wisconsin and Dayton. Not saying he was stupid OR drunk, but the Badgers' new quarterback got beaten and robbed of his wallet and iphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison