Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:12 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times

Advertisements

i'm not a biker so hope i dont sound "anti", but always thought there were rules about impeding traffic? Growing up in central Wi, there were plenty of times tractors were out in force but they'd have lights and even signage. Nothing more dangerous then cresting a hill at speed to find a lone bike in the middle of the lane (geez down here some ride at night with no lights on and wear darker clothing.... hello!!!).
Just thought there were certain speed limit mins that had to be followed, ie a bike couldnt operate on a 45mph road, etc but of course i could be wrong...

I know there arent enough actual trails to choose from regardless of the location and feel for the dedicated biker, but if i were to pedal, it sure wouldn't be on a stretch of heavily used road where i had to worry about my backside.

just my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 04:51 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Wisconsin's Department of Transportation has this to say about bicycles: Rules for riding bicycles - Wisconsin Department of Transportation

There are some specific statutes that relate to some of the questions raised here.

Bicyclists in general are considered vehicles and as such, have similar rights and responsibilities as motorized vehicles: Wisconsin Legislature: 346.02(4)(a)

Bicyclists shall ride as close as is feasible to the right-hand side of the roadway: Wisconsin Legislature: 346.80(2)(a)

Specific rules relating to bicyclists riding two abreast: Wisconsin Legislature: 346.80(3)(a)

Rules for motorists who want to overtake and pass a bicyclist: Wisconsin Legislature: 346.075

Nowhere do I find any statutory language indicating that motorists must remain behind a bicyclist unless and until there are three motor vehicles in line behind the cyclist. If anyone can provide a link that shows such language (statutory or local ordinance), please post it here.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:10 PM

1,094 posts, read 883,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Wisconsin's Department of Transportation has this to say about bicycles: Rules for riding bicycles - Wisconsin Department of Transportation

There are some specific statutes that relate to some of the questions raised here.

Bicyclists in general are considered vehicles and as such, have similar rights and responsibilities as motorized vehicles: Wisconsin Legislature: 346.02(4)(a)

Bicyclists shall ride as close as is feasible to the right-hand side of the roadway: Wisconsin Legislature: 346.80(2)(a)

Specific rules relating to bicyclists riding two abreast: Wisconsin Legislature: 346.80(3)(a)

Rules for motorists who want to overtake and pass a bicyclist: Wisconsin Legislature: 346.075

Nowhere do I find any statutory language indicating that motorists must remain behind a bicyclist unless and until there are three motor vehicles in line behind the cyclist. If anyone can provide a link that shows such language (statutory or local ordinance), please post it here.
You misunderstood. There is no rule that a driver must remain behind a bike or tractor, but there is one that the oncoming lane must be clear when the pass takes place, just as if the driver is passing another car..

The other rule is that the slow vehicle must move over at the earliest opportunity and leave the traffic lane if going 10 or more mph under the speed limit and three or more vehicles are being held up.

Reasons bicycle riders choose the routes they choose:

1. Shortest path
2. Avoiding hills
3. Avoiding grates and ironwork bridges that can trap wheels
4. Taught by parents the wrong way to ride (usually wrongly using pedestrian rules).

Old 10-06-2013, 05:31 PM

651 posts, read 1,562,757 times
ever thought about bikes have as much right to drive on the road, just as much as a car can?

(with the only exception to this rule, is the interstates).

If your late to work, next time leave home earlier. and slow down.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:48 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
ever thought about bikes have as much right to drive on the road, just as much as a car can?

I certainly realize that bikes have as much right to drive on the road and I leave for work early enough. The issue I have run across is that some bicyclists will never get over to the side of the road when traveling at a slow rate of speed, even if several cars end up behind me. I also cannot and will not pass on a two lane road with a solid yellow line, particularly if a hill is involved.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:53 PM

423 posts, read 414,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
If everybody obeyed all of the laws, it would not be a problem.

1. The bicycle rider has the right to the entire lane.

As long as he keeps up with the flow of traffic. I have rarely seen this to be the case with Bicyclists.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:54 PM

423 posts, read 414,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post

Absolutely.....and as such, they must abide by the same set of laws and rules.

Such as keeping up with other traffic.

Get it?

Old 10-07-2013, 05:55 AM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,190,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
Absolutely.....and as such, they must abide by the same set of laws and rules.

Such as keeping up with other traffic.

Get it?
This is incorrect. You need to re-read the rules, or cite your source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison