U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,621 times

Advertisements

We just purchased a condo in the trillium neighborhood and I feel as though it is a good investment in a quickly developing neighborhood. The people that live near us are all young and professional or appear to be graduate students and/or young families. We have lived between Madison and Chicago for several years, both my husband and I are contract consultants with our major clients living in the Chicago area. The Trillium Condo's provide a great place for us because when we are out of town for work the lawn is still mowed, the snow is still shovelled, and the neighborhood is safe. We maintain condos in both cities, but wanted a stand alone condo in Madison that would feel more like a lake cottage than a high rise -- we are also expecting our first child, so having a porch and a yard was an important aspect as well. The condos are small, but very efficient with all of the amenities (porch, maintained yards, snow removal, central air, gas stove, two bedrooms, washer/dryer in home) that a young professional or young family would want. The condos are moments from the new target, lots of local businesses (Willy St. West is a newly opened organic food co-op), hilldale mall, and a wide variety of other great places (spring harbor park and beach are beautiful, and jogging through shorewood along the golf course is really a great work out).

In 2012 the University Ave. access to Craig Ave. is going to undergo major re-development including new commercial and retail business development. I anticipate the home values in the area to greatly improve with this development. Likewise, when you consider the neighborhoods that surround the Craig Ave. condos it is clear to me that they are only going to appreciate. Spring Harbor and Shorewood are literally across the street and they are two of the more attractive neighborhoods in all of Madison.

Craig Ave. also has great access to the busses for commuting downtown to campus, which makes it attractive to graduate students or young professionals that work there.

I think the condo is a very good investment and a very nice place to stay when in Madison -- it sure beats paying $150 per night at hotels which we had been doing for several months while we located the right condo. As a final note, the condo association fees are surprisingly low which is a fantastic benefit given what we were accustomed to in the Chicago area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,447 times
Does anybody know whether a short-term rental of the Trillium apartments is also possible (I'm talking about 5 to 6 months)? The rental units probably aren't fully furnished, are they? How about the nearby Tree Cove Cottages?

In addition, I need some advice on seeking apartments to rent in Madison. Me and my family (we have a few months old daughter) are planning to move to Madison (from the EU ) in the beginning of spring and leave at the end of summer 2012. We are looking for reasonably priced furnished apartments (1 to 2 bdrms) as close to the UW Hospital as possible (or with a good bus connection). However, I never know whether an apartment I'm looking at is in fact primarily intended for UW students. I really wouldn't like my daughter have trouble sleeping because of a loud party in the hallway. So - are there any notorious campus apartment complexes we should avoid? Any advice on where the chances to find a nice, reasonably priced and safe short-term rental furnished apartment in that part of the city (or perhaps in downtown, too) are biggest?

Just BTW: I saw the advertising for The Overlook at Hilldale apartments (they are fully leased, though). They are income restricted - does that mean only US citizens are eligible to rent?

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 12-30-2011, 12:39 PM

5,683 posts, read 8,878,435 times
Hi, and welcome to Madison! I hope your time here will be both happy and productive, and that you take fond memories with you when you head back home next autumn.

So you're looking for short-term living arrangements relatively near the UW Hospital. Since the hospital is at the western end of the UW campus, if you live close to the hospital, you're also going to be close to campus, hence likely to have at least some student neighbors. However, the ones I know you want to avoid (the undergrads who party hard and noisily) tend to congregate mostly toward the eastern end of campus, and in general you will find more grad students the farther west you go. So being close to campus isn't inherently bad - you just want to be mindful of the neighborhood.

Another advantage to looking for something close to campus is that you are far, far likelier to be able to find a short-term sublease situation there than is the case in a more traditional rental development. Students go abroad for a semester, go home for the summer, or sometimes wind up dropping out mid-year, but the apartment leases they signed don't come to an end just because the person isn't living there any longer. So there are often some very nice sublease deals that can be found, many of them for just about the timeframe that you're describing. Campus-area leases in Madison almost all go from mid-August to mid-August. If a student goes abroad to study in January and plans to spend the summer back home with parents, that doesn't matter to the landlord; their bills go year-round, and they expect to collect rent year-round, too. So it's in the student's best interest to have someone else live in the apartment to help defray that rent expense.

Your best bet for finding sublease possibilities is to check out the Badger Herald here: The Badger Herald — The University of Wisconsin-Madison's premier independent student newspaper or the Isthmus here: Madison, Wisconsin's source for events, news, movies, music, restaurants and more: Isthmus|The Daily Page. You can also check with campus-area landlords directly; I know of at least one that maintains lists of tenants who are seeking sublessees, and you might be able to connect with someone that way.

Specific streets to avoid would include Langdon, State Street, Gorham, Frances Street, Gilman, Mifflin, Broom, Bassett and Lake. Those are all magnets for the undergrads, and any apartment on those streets is likely to feature neighbors who pee in the elevator, puke in the hallways, and have noisy marathon parties three or four nights a week.

Streets I'd suggest you consider would include Old University, Walnut, Kendall, Allen, Forest, Farley, Lynn Terrace, Stevens and Chamberlain. Regent Street can be noisy east of Camp Randall Stadium, but isn't too bad west of there. Monroe and the surrounding neighborhood is a pretty good bet if you're at least two or three blocks away from the stadium, too.

Do you plan to have a vehicle while you are living here? Do be aware that parking is usually not free, nor is it easy to find. Parking on campus is particularly difficult to find, and can be quite costly. If you rent at an apartment complex that offers parking in the campus area, you'll probably wind up paying between $40 and $100 per month parking fees (the higher-priced lots tend to be at the eastern end of campus, though, which is the area you probably want to avoid anyway). The city has a bus system which is good though far from perfect, and if you can manage it, you would likely be better off busing than driving. Info on the bus system is here: Metro Transit - City of Madison, Wisconsin.

Oh, as to your question about income-restricted housing - I am not aware of any citizenship requirements for living in such a development, though I will freely admit that it's been seven or eight years since I worked in the rental field. What income-restricted means is that it is specifically designated for tenants who are lower income, and applicants need to provide proof of their income in order to qualify to live there. I'm not surprised that it's fully leased; rental rates in Madison are very high, and a lot of people really struggle to find affordable housing.

Good luck to you in your travels and your stay here! By all means, if you have any more questions about specific neighborhoods or buildings, please come back and post them here; we'll do our best to help. Hope to see you at the Farmers' Market soon!

Old 07-09-2018, 01:25 AM

2 posts, read 361 times
Do they offer 3 bedrooms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison