Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:03 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

Sam Adams is not well looked upon in the craft beer scene, and definitely not held in high regard in the Boston beer scene. This article DID NOT help his image:

Wasted: How the Craft-Beer Movement Abandoned Jim Koch

It is a nice place though, Boston. It's SOOOOO much more expensive that Madison. I always roll my eyes when people say Madison is expensive. I'm in Somerville, which is next to Cambridge, and a starter one bedroom condo goes for 350k+ and there are precious few of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 11:41 AM

141 posts, read 383,121 times
Yeah, Madison's not cheap, but it's not unaffordable, either. NYC, San Fran, Boston, are in a whole other league. I don't like seeing cities that make it impossible for the lower-wage workers needed for the city to function to actually live close to where they work, unless they're piled up 12 to a bedroom. NYC has completely fallen from grace, as far as I'm concerned. It's becoming a time capsule to the Gilded Age and has lost so much of its creative energy and edge. One of the things I dig about Madison is that there's a strong movement against that tendency to focus all energy on the wealthiest people, even as it's being developed with more amenities for people with deeper pockets. What so many Republicans deride as "crazy liberal Madison" I see as a breath of sanity and resistance to the glorification of the wealthiest Americans at everyone else's expense. I think it's part of what makes the city feel the way it does... same with the Twin Cities. So much more down-to-earth than other places that glorify wealth and placing more distinction between "haves" and "have nots."

Interesting article on Sam Adams, thanks for sharing it. I didn't realize the association with Boston was something of a PR ruse. As for the rest of it... like many, I don't think of Sam Adams being in the same league, or making the same type of beer, as my favorite craft breweries. How I do think of Sam Adams is as a decent big-scale brewing company that gets in many places where smaller craft breweries do not. Because of the size of their company, their beers will often be the only beers with any sort of craft sensibility on tap at middle-of-the-road restaurants or bars. Places where my only other options are Bud, Coors, Miller, will often save the day for me by having Boston Lager and/or a Sam Adams seasonal on tap. I'll drink a Coors Banquet, but would rather have a PBR; I'll drink a PBR but I would rather have a Boston Lager than a PBR. Boston Lager remains one of my favorite "burger beers" and both it and Summer Ale are refreshing on a hot day when I don't want a dark beer or a lot of hops. They're simpler, mellower beers, which isn't always a bad thing - as I learned regarding New Glarus (though I certainly prefer New Glarus to Sam Adams).

And it's clear that it's as much a PR move as anything, but some of the specialty beers that Sam Adams is coming out with now are surprisingly good examples of their styles. Had a Belgian dark and a quad from Sam Adams that, yes, weren't as good as something from Unibroue or Chimay, but were better examples of those styles than many I've tried from smaller craft brewers. One thing my boyfriend and I can't freaking stand is when a craft brewer markets something as a "Belgian pale ale" which is a super hoppy beer that's basically an IPA. A Belgian is never defined by taking a drink and tasting mostly, or all, hops. Even a hoppier or more herbal tasting saison strongly features other flavors, including the barnyard funk and creaminess. An IPA isn't a Belgian, don't call it one. You're showing off your lack of understanding of the style.

Anyway...

Old 01-08-2015, 01:21 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadStephanie View Post
I love the intellectual events and activities the University brings - lectures, museum exhibits, adult classes in various subjects - this is what is perhaps most sorely missing from my life where I live now. And the live music scene rocks! Can't say how jealous I've been reading about shows that have come through Madison this past year. Can you tell I'm excited about Madison? Waiting to hear if Chet got the job is killin' me...
I'd have to agree on the music here, for a smaller city (where we lived in SC was also college town and state cap and bigger but very poor for live music). Depending on the genre you enjoy, there will be plenty of shows from rock and metal to country and beyond that come thru here. Also the large "Taste of Madison" around the capital has multiple music stages with live music all day and each day of the event.
Add in concerts put on by local radio stations and plenty of options for some good music.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:27 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Madison is right in between Chicago and Mnpls and benefits greatly on the touring schedule from that. I did see some amazing bands in Madison.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:46 PM

17 posts, read 20,607 times
Just my two cents. Lived in Madison area twice, first for 4 yrs in the 70s, then for 11 yrs 1990-2001. I do t think u shouldnworry much about gettong the rental location exactly right because driving in Madison is no big deal. That said, if i were to move back and rent, i would consider Vilas, Hilldale, or Olbrich area first. However, if an apt had features i really liked, i wouldnt give location a second.thought. its hard to find crummy neigjborhoods in Madison. Wish i was still there--- except with a democrat for governor, lol!

Old 01-12-2015, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback, mnwoman! It's helpful to get reinforcement for my growing impression that any number of locations would be fine. And I agree about the governor

Old 01-12-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Madison is right in between Chicago and Mnpls and benefits greatly on the touring schedule from that. I did see some amazing bands in Madison.
Not even counting the bands that would/still do hit Madison for major tours, i'm from the age where i was able to spend a fair amount of time at local clubs in late 70's/early 80's like Shuffle Inn for regional touring acts and of course Headliners for even larger ones. At Headliners I saw bands (and music styles) ranging from Metallica & Anthrax to Pat Benatar to Michael Stanley Band to Wi faves like Bad Boy and Moxy Roxx. Oh those were the days, just glad there arent any photographs around showing our hair and clothing styles lol

Old 01-24-2015, 10:28 AM

Update: Chet got the job and we got a place! We ended up choosing the Near West, near Hilldale, due to a mix of convenience (access to work, job site, and other locations of interest) and features of the specific rental property we chose. We are very happy with our choice though we both still like the Schenk-Atwood neighborhood and I'm sure will end up over there to shop, eat, and hang out from time to time. I can say from watching Craigslist for months that rentals in Schenk-Atwood are getting snapped up faster than anywhere else right now. We were surprised at how high rents were in the Willy Street area--you pay as much to live in a shoebox there as you'd pay to live in something 2x or 3x the size, and better kept, elsewhere. Even apartments in the heart of downtown tended to have more space for less money than those we saw on Willy Street.

Though the trip to find a place was somewhat hectic, it was not as much so as anticipated, and very pleasant. I know I'm biased toward Madison right now, but even so, I was surprised how enjoyable it was meeting and talking to people who were either renting or subletting properties. Not something I've experienced anywhere else when I've looked for a place to rent. It easily made what could have felt like a "business trip" into a pleasure. Impressions of faces, names, and stories are all still very fresh in my mind.

Even though we only had three full days to look at places, we ended up only needing two and spent half of our last day enjoying the Beer and Cheese Fest. What a mess of people, but we had fun anyway! Also stopped by the Great Dane at Hilldale, where I was pleasantly surprised by their Saison De Mosaique, which was as memorable to me as anything we tried at the Fest. At the Fest, we enjoyed the "Vanilla Coffee Oscar" by Sand Creek Brewing Company, the Apple Ale by Wisconsin Dells brewery, and Wrath Amber Ale by St. Francis Brewery. Didn't make it to the Karben4, Ale Asylum, or Victory Brewing booths, so we'll have to check their beers out after we move up!

Old 01-24-2015, 03:55 PM

620 posts, read 1,746,749 times
You should check out the Bay Creek neighborhood. Very close to downtown, adjacent to the lakes, walkable with great access to both the east and west sides. Here is the link to the neighborhood website:

Bay Creek Neighborhood

Old 01-26-2015, 06:35 AM

OP, congrats on the pending move. Since craft beer has popped up on this thread, not sure if you caught it on the news during the visit but a local college is going to work with Ale Asylum to offer a brewing certification course.

Madison College to offer beer brewing class

And to think back in the day, all one needed was a 1/2 barrel and a tapper.

Anyhow, welcome in advance to Madison!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison