U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:08 PM

32,719 posts, read 22,676,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
My question was, would you be able to survive a few days without air conditioning in Texas/ Southern California/ Florida (not in Madison ) - compared to being able to survive equal number of days without heating in the winter in WI.

People in WI dream of warm winters, but totally forget about hot-hot-hot and humid summers That was my point.

Oh, surviving in the cold without heat is far far harder. No comparison, of course.

The natives in Wisconsin had to build fires to survive. The natives in Texas never had air conditioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 01:25 PM

3,805 posts, read 8,510,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh, surviving in the cold without heat is far far harder. No comparison, of course.

The natives in Wisconsin had to build fires to survive. The natives in Texas never had air conditioning.

i'd agree with the above. Growing up in WI, many of the homes in my youth were lucky to have a couple box fans in the windows (AC? that was for those rich folk lol). But those winters spent in old drafty farmhouses were cold even with the old wood-burner stove cranked up. Lets not forget that with no heat, watch how quickly pipes can freeze up here.
Not saying we never used air con in 6 years of living in SC, but we needed ac less there than we need heat up here in WI. I'd even go further and say even more now that we're back; our bodies acclimated quickly to the heat so we've become cold weather wusses.

I think it is all in one's perspective. When we first moved south, we'd laugh at their local weather peeps who would state it was an arctic blast of cold air coming (15-20 degrees.... above zero). And now being back up in WI, i laugh when they talk about the humidity being high already and feeling like summer (sorry but to me dew points in 60's is mild; we'll talk humidity when it's mid 70's and higher lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or