Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 08:54 AM

607 posts, read 978,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookoutbehindyou1992 View Post
Oh...I see. It's a shame because Wisconsin is such a beautiful state and Madison looks just so perfect but I don't think I would be happy having to deal with frankly, such intolerance. I don't want to make myself out to be persecuted or something and I am not even that political but I'm not fond of hypocrisy (ie. People that will preach tolerance, unless you disagree with them). I was raised to be polite and show respect for everyone's opinions regardless of how I feel about it and I don't mind have a spirited, yet civil and respectful debate at the appropriate time and place but honestly right now I'm living in a place where speaking honestly about my opinions makes it socially acceptable to ridicule me, ostracize me and be on the receiving end of ad hominem attacks. I'm sick of that plus having no legitimate voice in communuty affairs....I really really don't want to cross Madison off my list because I have a thing for the upper Midwest and its the only city up that I would even consider in that region, that has an office I could transfer too (offices in MKE and the twin cities as well but I have been to MKE and although the burbs are nice I didn't like the city, and the twin cities doesn't have the vibe I want either.)

Thanks to you for replying and giving me some honest into. Have a great night!
The political misfits will be found anywhere in Madison since so many people have state jobs, work in education and the like. There were people dumb enough to spray paint their windows during the recall garbage to demand the recall of Walker. You were able to find those windows spray painted in any area community.

There is a mix of the misfits and conservative people since people from other areas of the state moved to Madison to find work and college graduates tend not to leave. A lot of managers in the city graduated from Madison and mostly want to hire UW Madison graduates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 05:51 PM

281 posts, read 928,419 times
There is no place in Wisconsin where you would be uncomfortable being conservative. This state is solid red now. Don't worry.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:05 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
There is no place in Wisconsin where you would be uncomfortable being conservative. This state is solid red now. Don't worry.
That would not be correct, there are certainly areas of Wisconsin that are more liberal than conservative. The political leadership of the state has allowed the brain drain to accelerate, and job growth remains below average.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:50 PM

512 posts, read 474,244 times
While Madison-proper is more liberal than elsewhere in Dane County, even the suburbs and exurbs swing democratic. I'd driven through Middleton many times during the 2012 presidential election season, and it was common to see yard signs endorsing Obama/Biden. Even most of the wards in Verona went at least 60% for Hillary during the last election. (The ward with the biggest percentage of Hillary voters was 66%, I think). Dane County is an oddball.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
While Madison-proper is more liberal than elsewhere in Dane County, even the suburbs and exurbs swing democratic. I'd driven through Middleton many times during the 2012 presidential election season, and it was common to see yard signs endorsing Obama/Biden. Even most of the wards in Verona went at least 60% for Hillary during the last election. (The ward with the biggest percentage of Hillary voters was 66%, I think). Dane County is an oddball.
Dane County has generally always been a progressive liberal area, and it is one of the main reasons the state of Wisconsin has continued to gain jobs and population relative to states like Michigan or Ohio that have growth rates half as much this decade. IT, Healthcare, Engineering, Education, etc continue to be strong drivers for Madison region growth in addition to the public sector.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:01 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Dane County has generally always been a progressive liberal area, and it is one of the main reasons the state of Wisconsin has continued to gain jobs and population relative to states like Michigan or Ohio that have growth rates half as much this decade. IT, Healthcare, Engineering, Education, etc continue to be strong drivers for Madison region growth in addition to the public sector.

If it wasn't for Madison, WI would be like Alabama. Madison supports the entire state.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If it wasn't for Madison, WI would be like Alabama. Madison supports the entire state.
Most of Madison is government and UW. So the tax payers of the rest of the state support Madison. Money makers -vs- money takers.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Most of Madison is government and UW. So the tax payers of the rest of the state support Madison. Money makers -vs- money takers.
That is not quite the case. Dane County continues to have faster job growth and population growth than anywhere else in the state, and has been the case for many years. People continue to move there due to economic opportunities.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:09 AM

7,256 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is not quite the case. Dane County continues to have faster job growth and population growth than anywhere else in the state, and has been the case for many years. People continue to move there due to economic opportunities.
The whole state is crying for workers. Jobs are getting filled in Dane/Madison because that's where the population is to fill them. The rest of the state doesn't seem to have job growth in the statistics because the empty positions aren't being filled.

Also note that job growth in WI is limited by (a) low population growth compared to other states and [2] having lost fewer jobs during the Great Recession than other states, fewer coming back. In that light, WI is way ahead of other states in employment now.

Furthermore, most job growth in the country of late has been in the service industries. Most of WI is rural. Farmers don't need others to mow their lawns, serve their fast food or do their cooking.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:17 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The whole state is crying for workers. Jobs are getting filled in Dane/Madison because that's where the population is to fill them. The rest of the state doesn't seem to have job growth in the statistics because the empty positions aren't being filled. Please enlighten me where these wonderful jobs are. I search Indeed for professional positions, Director of Operations for example, and find little to nothing at a salary that supports a family. The jobs available in WI are service sector or entry level labor that doesn't pay enough to entice people to move there. Trust me, I left after 45 years to find a career path that could include retirement someday.

Also note that job growth in WI is limited by (a) low population growth compared to other states and [2] having lost fewer jobs during the Great Recession than other states, fewer coming back. In that light, WI is way ahead of other states in employment now. Population growth is happening where there are jobs. We dont move away because we want to leave our families and friends, we move away because we want to eat and buy homes. Wherever you imagined WI lost fewer jobs than other states, go hit that pipe again. It may have been slower paced losses and smaller companies, but WI lost plenty and they aren't rushing back. FoxCon is a scam to get free stuff from Walker and friends, and those will be some really expensive jobs in the end.

Furthermore, most job growth in the country of late has been in the service industries. Not in Texas, Portland/Seattle, or SoCal.Most of WI is rural. Farmers don't need others to mow their lawns, serve their fast food or do their cooking.
The state is crying for entry level workers, nurses, and a handful of welders. Read the ads and look at what is actually hiring and what the wage rates are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison