Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 PM

346 posts, read 463,728 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving back to Madison soon, and, in case my subject is not clear, I will be looking for a great fish fry. But not just any fish fry. I seek the best ALL YOU CAN EAT fish fry!

I hear Kavanaugh's Esquire Club is good.

Any other suggestions? Keep 'em rolling in! The species does not matter: cod, haddock, perch, bluegill, walleye.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
All you can eat... That's a great question. You made me think about where I've been. All of the places I listed had an all you can eat option when I last visited.
**= I highly recommended these.
Here's my recommendations:

**Tap Room** at Hawks Landing- On west side off County M on Midtown Rd. The fish and EVERYTHING else is awesome. If you have someone in your party who doesn't want fish have them get the Cuban sandwich, it's very good! They have great Walleye here!

Fitzgerald's of Middleton- On Parmenter St aka the old beltline.

Nau-ti-gal- In Westport (Waunakee) north of Madison out by 113 and county M.

Martin O'Grady's off Mineral Point Rd on Madisons west side.

Hilltop Supper Club-On county Hwy P in Cross Plains. It's between Cross Plains and Pine Bluff. You can take Mineral Point road west of Madison till you get to Hwy P and take a right and you'll go north a few miles and Hilltop will be on your left on top of the hill.

**Old Feed Mill Mazomanie** I have to personally vouch for this place as I love the food here. It's good and the ambiance make it truly a fun dinner and a neat old mill. My wife and I find ourselves riding my motorcycle out here on Friday nights in the summer and fall.

**Dorf Haus - Roxbury (Sauk City area)** This place is THAT GOOD. Do yourself a favor and drive out here and get fish. Plan on sitting at the bar as the place gets busy fast. They have popcorn while you wait... Wait maybe it was a Gardetto's style snack mix. I don't recall now that I think about it. Either way you can't go wrong with the fish and be sure to try the German style potato salad.

**Sarento's Italian Restaurant-Wisconsin Dells** This place also has really good cod. I've enjoyed the fish the few times that my wife and I made the trek back to our old roots. I'd say make a trip and drive up to Wisconsin Dells and give it a try.

Hookers Resort in Dekorra (Poynette) on the Wisconsin River- They have good Bluegill here. It's been a few years but my friends and family say it's still good.

Buck & Honey's-Sun Prairie- They have very tasty cod here. It was very reasonably priced and the batter was just right. I enjoyed the tartar sauce here too. I don't do tartar too often with my fish.

Crawfish Junction-Lake Mills/Johnson Creek- They had pretty good fish here. It gets surprisingly busy for being in podunk. If you go here get the Perch and put the cod/haddock on 2nd thought.

Mulligans Bar & Grill-Oregon- They actually have really good fish here, it's cod and the place itself is nothing special. It does get busy. The beer battered fries were delicious here.

Grumy Troll-Mount Horeb- Fish here is pretty good. I like the beers the best. If your in this neck of the woods I'd say stop and get some AYCE cod. If you're not feeling fish get the pulled pork sandwich.

Hooterville Inn- Blue Mounds- Do not go hear if you hate train whistles. My wife was pretty tired of the train horn by the end of our meal. The fish was very inexpensive and the quality was that of upper scale supper clubs. The place is nothing to look at but it gets the job done.

Wisconsin Riverside Resort-Spring Green- It's been a few years since I had been here for fish. I really enjoyed the view of the river and the aquariums with the freshwater fish. The fish here from what I remember was cod or haddock and was actually pretty good.

Gate's and Brovi- Madison- A family member of my wife co-owns this place and I will say that the fish is actually really good here. I enjoy the cod sandwich or the cod dinner itself.

Blue Moon-Madison- This place has decent fish, the Lake Perch is what I had and it was surprisingly good for bar served fish. I'd go back. Parking can be a PITA so be prepared to walk should the lot be full.

**The Coopers Tavern-Madison** This place is absolutely fantastic. PLEASE be sure to get the Beer Cheese Pretzals they are to die for. The fish here is Haddock and it's actually very good. If you have someone in your party who doesn't want the fish be sure to recommend the Pretzel Chicken as it tastes VERY good.

I hope you enjoy the list. I've been to all these places personally.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:18 PM

346 posts, read 463,728 times
Lots of good ideas, thanks!

I had heard about Dorf Haus, and it's on my bucket list!

Old 04-01-2015, 07:00 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
nice info Josh! The wife has told me one of the things she missed during our time in SC was a good ol' Friday fish fry. Seafood is readily available there of course, but it's just not the same lol

Old 04-01-2015, 07:27 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I'll have to check out the Coopers Tavern next time. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:43 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Glad you guys liked the list! I have plenty of places to try yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison