U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:33 PM

82 posts, read 71,450 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Madison in the next year for work. Where do traffic volumes tend to be high? I don't like traffic. My job will be in the western suburbs. I like running and cross country skiing and I prefer to shop at Walmart.

Also, are there different income or sales tax rates depending on which city (Madison, Middleton, Fitchburg, etc.) you live or shop in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 05:32 AM

3,806 posts, read 8,518,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
I will be moving to Madison in the next year for work. Where do traffic volumes tend to be high? I don't like traffic. My job will be in the western suburbs. I like running and cross country skiing and I prefer to shop at Walmart.

Also, are there different income or sales tax rates depending on which city (Madison, Middleton, Fitchburg, etc.) you live or shop in?

OP, the highest volume for traffic would be the "Beltline" (hwy 12) that runs on the south to west side of Madison. As the city is built around the lakes, any traffic heading downtown basically runs thru a funnel so with the "U" and the capital building (along with the batch of one way streets) downtown can be a learning process as well. Guess depending on the actual location of your job and where you'd like to live, you may or may not have some travel to deal with.
That said, this isnt big-city traffic. The beltline can get nasty at times, from it's current construction backups to poor weather and accidents (frequent issues in winter). My wife drove it for years before, and is doing so now. On a day with no traffic, she can get to her job in maybe 25 mins. Worst case that doubles but that's coming from a northern 'burb.
If you can give a better idea on work location, it may be easier to suggest potential sites to live at.

As for taxes, it's a 5.5% sales tax rate in Dane County which covers Madison and its surrounding burbs. I put in a link to the state site for add'l tax info.

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/faqs/pcs/taxrates.html

Old 05-27-2015, 07:29 PM

2,903 posts, read 8,592,602 times
FYI the Wal Mart on Madison's west side is not a super center...it's an older store with limited products. The Supercenter is off the beltline, in Monona. If you are willing to shop at other stores, there are 2 Targets on the west side and a Super Target in Fitchburg. Going to Monona or Fitchburg would probably require you being caught up in traffic that you dread...so make decisions accordingly.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:50 PM

Income taxes in WI are steep but the job is a good financial move. I will most likely be working in Verona. Starting to look at some housing options in Fitchburg. How early would you suggest trying to sign a lease?

I'm going to miss having WinCo and Fred Meyer (Kroger) as grocery options, that's for sure. Maybe I'll stock up at the bigger Walmart once a month or so and fill in the gaps at whatever store is closest. Thanks for replying.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
I'm going to miss having WinCo and Fred Meyer (Kroger) as grocery options, that's for sure. Maybe I'll stock up at the bigger Walmart once a month or so and fill in the gaps at whatever store is closest. Thanks for replying.
We moved back here last fall after 6 yrs in SC and miss Publix and some of their Kroger locations so understand finding a mix between a super WM or Target and a good grocery location. I'd say on that side of town one of the nicer grocery stores is Metcalfes by west towne mall. The cheapest tends to be Woodmans (somewhat a warehouse feel but low prices).
I think between Middleton, Fitchburg, & the west side of Madison you can find enough options for shopping without much travel.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:31 AM

32,778 posts, read 22,716,611 times
I miss having a Woodman's badly.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I miss having a Woodman's badly.
we like being by one again (we go to the newer SP location) for the low cost and in most instances the wider offerings. Flip side is we miss having a better deli/produce selection and having good customer service (meaning help in aisles, etc).

But for those like the OP coming here from another area, Woodmans is always worth a visit to see what they think compared to any chains they are used to.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:13 PM

2,903 posts, read 8,592,602 times
Woodman's is similar to Winco. Employee owned, wharehouse type store. Low prices. Bad produce and they don't take credit cards though. I believe Fred Meyer is owned by the same company as Ralph's or Von's so a Metclafe's would be similar if not nicer. Hy-Vee is probably the most similar to Fred Meyer, and there is one on the west side and one in Fitchburg. There is also a Costco in Middleton if you are interested. Madison certainly has many great grocery options...which is probably why Wal Mart isn't a major competitor.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 PM

I will have to check out Woodman's. Maybe try Aldi as well.

Fred Meyer is a Kroger company now (like Ralph's but not Von's). However the store format is more like Walmart or Target with everything for sale.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:00 AM

OP, if you end up hitting WM for regular shopping needs, the one super center (south side of Madison off the 'beltline') has one benefit especially come winter--underground parking. If stuck in a cold snap or having to do shopping in snow; as you may well know pushing a cart full of goods thru the snow can be somewhat of a pain in the .......

but as stated if you prefer not to deal with WM crowds and at times lack of variety, there are plenty of options to try out to see what you do end up preferring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison