U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 06:38 PM

14 posts, read 11,684 times

Advertisements

I could not find this thread already started. I figured if I posted it in the Washington forum nobody would know of Edgewood, but maybe some in Wisconsin would have some familiarity of UW Seattle.

Ok, here's the situation:

I have an Bachelor's of Music Theory/Composition from an IL liberal arts school. After that, I moved to Seattle for medical school. I quit 2.5 years in because I realized I want to go back to school to get my K-12 Instrumental Music teaching credentials, to direct high school orchestra.

One route would be to pick them up at UW Seattle (I just want to get a secondary Bachelor's in music ed, with teaching credentials, I don't want an MAT/MIT because I'm weary of having a Master's and no teaching experience besides private lessons).

This would be safe because I know exactly what Seattle is like. The school has an established music program. However, while Seattle is fine, I'm really interested in one day living in Madison. So getting WA teacher credentials, only to have to re-establish myself in Madison after school might be silly.

So obviously I looked into UW Madison, and found it would not work for me. They don't have a program for post-bachs, already holding a music degree just seeking teacher certification. So I almost gave up on Madison, but then found out about Edgewood College. Now the college itself did not compare to UW Seattle in any way facility-wise, but they would get me certified in Wisconsin and build up contacts in the Madison area. Also, going to a liberal arts undergrad school, I know the education itself can be quite good.

So now I'm really torn. On one hand it seems like Edgewood might make more sense just for getting me set up in Madison. But if that falls through, I'm not sure if I'd want to be in WI outside of Madison. WA doesn't have my top city, but it has more backup cities I'd be interested in. Also, growing up outside of Chicago, I've been to Madison and think I like it, but there's always the chance it's not what I think. Seattle I know exactly what I'm getting into. And I'm wondering if going back to a liberal-arts place as an older post-bach might be a little lonely.

Anybody happen to have experience with both school's music departments? Or any other thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 06:44 PM
LML

7,109 posts, read 7,918,520 times
Default Edgewood is an excellent school

My grandson is a student at Edgewood and he loves it. The classes are smaller than UW classes and you get a lot of attention from the professors....and they have very good professors. Nice campus close to anything you might find of interest. Very nice dorms. And a real community feel among the students.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:51 PM

14 posts, read 11,684 times
Thank you for replying. Having gone to a similar liberal arts school in IL, I can certainly appreciate the smaller classes, attention, and top professors. I was asking specifically from the perspective of coming back as an older post-grad though. Which I imagine might be a very different experience than the first time through. If I were 18 I totally hear you though. Thanks for replying though. It's at least good to hear somebody likes it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or