Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:53 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times

Advertisements

was home to visit last year. State street is now a ghetto! Heard all the young people that used to fill the east side Johnson street area have all moved to the Atwood area out past the main part of willy st? Is that right?

mid 2000,s was parties everywhere in that first few blocks of Johnson st area off the square...now it seemed like a retirement community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 11:54 AM

was home to visit last year. State street is now a ghetto! Heard all the young people that used to fill the east side Johnson/gorham street area have all moved to the Atwood area out past the main part of willy st? Is hat right?

mid 2000,s was parties everywhere in that first few blocks of Johnson st area off the square...now it seemed like a retirement community?

Old 10-06-2015, 12:09 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
^ White flight hysteria right here

Old 10-06-2015, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,215 times
We're strongly considering moving to the Portage area from Virginia. One of the reasons that we chose Portage is that it's a lovely community and highly regarded by a trusted friend who grew up there. We don't know much else about it. Another thing we considered was the proximity to Madison, which was described to us as highly progressive and accepting of everyone. While we prefer country living over urban living, we like to have progressive amenities close at hand, which is something we do not have here in Virginia today.

I understand that there are always two sides to every story, and the media paints things different ways than they actually happen, but I have to admit that, as a black womyn considering relocation to that area, this story got my attention. I might feel slightly uncomfortable in a city where black people were policed in a more heavy handed way than white people. Is this common in Wisconsin? What are some individual impressions of whether the story is true, or perhaps blown slightly out of proportion? Growing up in Baltimore, I saw my share of racist policing, but it was a long time ago and in our area we don't feel out of place at all. I would hate to leave our current home to find out that Madison was really not the progressive city we were told it is.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:56 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
I agree that the media slants all sorts of things. I assume that somewhere in the middle, the answer lies. The "girl picnicking in the park" thing was a bit much. They might as well have said she was carrying a wicker basket and was dressed like little bo peep

The thing about Madison is that some people talk it up like it's more liberal than Berkeley, but it's really not. I'm not saying it's not progressive or accepting, but as you said, there are two sides to every story, and often Madison is billed as some sort of social utopia.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
was home to visit last year. State street is now a ghetto! Heard all the young people that used to fill the east side Johnson/gorham street area have all moved to the Atwood area out past the main part of willy st? Is hat right?

I don't think this is accurate at all. State Street has changed a lot in the past 10 years, but to call it "ghetto" is... I'm not even sure what to say other than that it is inaccurate. The mix of people who live downtown and near campus has definitely changed. There has been a ton of condo development downtown, which has brought tons of (relatively wealthy) baby boomers to the area. I think that may be where your retirement community comment came from? There has also been a lot of luxury private dorm/student apartment development along the streets that bisect State Street. The students are still there, but I'm guessing that when you're paying the types of rents they are paying for apartments with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances, you aren't as inclined to throw a kegger at your place. There were problems some time back with homeless folks and drug users hanging out in Lisa Link park. The city redeveloped the park, and it is nice now. The problem has moved on to Philosopher's Grove, and that area is under redevelopment now.

The young folks you're referring to over in the Atwood and Willy Street area (and really, it is more Willy Street and East Wash) are, as I understand it, mostly young Epic employees who prefer to live in the city rather than out in Verona. I don't doubt that students have to look further from campus for affordable housing now than they used to, because much of the cheap housing downtown and near campus has been razed and it isn't unusual to hear of people paying over $1000 for a studio, but I haven't noticed a huge influx of students in the Atwood area at all.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:01 PM

253 posts, read 394,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers2240 View Post
We're strongly considering moving to the Portage area from Virginia. One of the reasons that we chose Portage is that it's a lovely community and highly regarded by a trusted friend who grew up there. We don't know much else about it. Another thing we considered was the proximity to Madison, which was described to us as highly progressive and accepting of everyone. While we prefer country living over urban living, we like to have progressive amenities close at hand, which is something we do not have here in Virginia today.

I understand that there are always two sides to every story, and the media paints things different ways than they actually happen, but I have to admit that, as a black womyn considering relocation to that area, this story got my attention. I might feel slightly uncomfortable in a city where black people were policed in a more heavy handed way than white people. Is this common in Wisconsin? What are some individual impressions of whether the story is true, or perhaps blown slightly out of proportion? Growing up in Baltimore, I saw my share of racist policing, but it was a long time ago and in our area we don't feel out of place at all. I would hate to leave our current home to find out that Madison was really not the progressive city we were told it is.
Flowers...just make you research Wisconsin and visit a couple of times before you commit. Wisconsin is not a bad state. It's going through a lot of changes and experiencing a lot of growing pains. It's not the same as it was when I was child, teen or young adult.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I don't think this is accurate at all. State Street has changed a lot in the past 10 years, but to call it "ghetto" is... I'm not even sure what to say other than that it is inaccurate. The mix of people who live downtown and near campus has definitely changed. There has been a ton of condo development downtown, which has brought tons of (relatively wealthy) baby boomers to the area. I think that may be where your retirement community comment came from? There has also been a lot of luxury private dorm/student apartment development along the streets that bisect State Street. The students are still there, but I'm guessing that when you're paying the types of rents they are paying for apartments with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances, you aren't as inclined to throw a kegger at your place. There were problems some time back with homeless folks and drug users hanging out in Lisa Link park. The city redeveloped the park, and it is nice now. The problem has moved on to Philosopher's Grove, and that area is under redevelopment now.

The young folks you're referring to over in the Atwood and Willy Street area (and really, it is more Willy Street and East Wash) are, as I understand it, mostly young Epic employees who prefer to live in the city rather than out in Verona. I don't doubt that students have to look further from campus for affordable housing now than they used to, because much of the cheap housing downtown and near campus has been razed and it isn't unusual to hear of people paying over $1000 for a studio, but I haven't noticed a huge influx of students in the Atwood area at all.
I'm talking just from my experience, which is the last 20 years. If you could have seen it then...20 years ago...15 years ago...10 years ago...it is now a ghetto compared to those times. just my opinion, but everyone I know in my age group (30's to early 40's) agrees...it's now a ghetto compared to it's former self. Not trying to be argumentative, wonder what others say about the last 20 years of S/S area?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:49 PM

256 posts, read 452,526 times
Wait.....there's black people in Wisconsin that live outside of Milwaukee? Shocking

Old 10-06-2015, 08:50 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I'm talking just from my experience, which is the last 20 years. If you could have seen it then...20 years ago...15 years ago...10 years ago...it is now a ghetto compared to those times. just my opinion, but everyone I know in my age group (30's to early 40's) agrees...it's now a ghetto compared to it's former self. Not trying to be argumentative, wonder what others say about the last 20 years of S/S area?
I've lived here for 18 years. You can do the math on how old about that makes me. Is that close enough to 20 years for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison