U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:59 PM

21 posts, read 62,830 times
No area of Madison is anything like the problems they have in Milwaukee, thankfully.

Fitchburg has very nice areas that are safe (yet rather bland). It also has areas that I would NOT feel safe at ALL walking in at night. Note, this is rather different from a typical "bad neighborhood" in a larger city in that these are not urban areas, they're residential low-income housing neighborhoods.

Race has nothing to do with it, but when you have groups (notice I didn't say gangs) of young men staring you down and looking menacingly just for being "on their turf", that doesn't exactly make someone feel safe.

Call the police department and ask them about where most of the calls for murders, shootings, open-air drug dealing and prostitution, robberies of cab drivers, pizza delivery men, etc come from and they will tell you. I won't say, let them tell you. They aren't getting their answer from the media, they're getting it from the calls that they respond to every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 07:40 PM

1,670 posts, read 3,076,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrichrider View Post
No area of Madison is anything like the problems they have in Milwaukee, thankfully.
Lord... Your going to start a tirade with that one.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:25 PM

11 posts, read 25,267 times
i live off of hwy pd. to the west of verona rd. my address is madison however the fitchburg line is just dow the road. the far westside is a pretty good area, i have lived over here for quite a few years now and don;t have any problems with crime however if you get closer to the betline it get worse. i am pretty close to verona, like 4 minutes. there are lots and lots and lots of condos for sale around here, i wouldn;t be afraid to say as many as 75 just on one street section a couple miles long. however there are many nice apts as well. which is what i live in. close enough to downtown westowne mall etc. but yet slightly less traffic, more quiet, less crime. not to bad.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 24,731 times
There is no mailing address with "Fitchburg". You will have a Madison, Verona or Oregon zip code, they have no post office. Strange huh?

Well speaking of "races" I'm Asian and had moved to the QC in Illinois, it's Davenport and Bettendorf IA and Moline and Rock Island IL. There were nooooo Asians, I stood out like a sore thump in a very white/hispanic/black area. Blending in with the numerous Asians here in the Madison area again is GREAT!

Old 03-19-2008, 05:18 PM

357 posts, read 1,320,060 times
I've lived in Fitchburg since 1999. Avoid Fish Hatchery from the Beltline to PD; that area just keeps getting worse. I live in the Jamestown neighborhood (Anton Drive/King James Way/Williamsburg Way) which has been slowly declining too. (Note: I'm not sheltered - I lived in Chicago ) Other than that, there are plenty of nice homes, condos, apartments. But like L.A. (ha!) there is no here here; driving from Madison to Fitchburg, the two are indistinguishable, and there's no downtown, just a couple of strip malls. And it's an easy 15-minute drive to campus/downtown (not including parking and walking time).

Fitchburg is growing. We keep getting more and more restaurants, we just got a Super Target, etc. Verona, which is just south of here, is growing too, so that is probably contributing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison