Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,670 times

Advertisements

Hi
My son accepted a job in Madison and is moving to the Madison area. He is an entry level employee so he is looking for decent rent. We found an apartment. It is on Woodview court. It looked great on website, but after reading about the area, I am concerned. The reviews on multiple sites say that area is sketchy.

Any suggestion on places to rent? He would like a one bedroom. What areas are affordable, but safe and nice?

We are getting close to moving day--please share advice.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 03:46 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
I used to live in that area decades ago and back then it was tough; i could be wrong but i would sort of doubt it has gotten better over the years. Unfortunately in Madison like many other metro areas, cheaper rent can be found but its potentially in rougher neighborhoods.

Where in the Madison area is your son to be working? Does he need the bus line, does he have his own transportation, etc?

And what sort of budget does he have?

Haven't needed an apt for many years, but would say in general if it were me i would avoid the south side whether its off Park st or on the other side of the beltline (12/18) off Fish hatchery or Todd Dr areas. I'd probably skip the north side as well though there could be pockets in those areas that do work out well for tenants.
Seems others have recommended the near west side (ie around Hilldale mall/Midvale blvd) though i cant say for certain what the $$ is over there.
Depending on transportation, perhaps a close suburb to where he will be working may be an option.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:12 PM

He will be working at Covance. His entry level salary will make rent over 800.00 tough unless it includes some of the utilities paid. He does have a car, but he may to use public transportation if it is available. We toured the area during the interview process. He liked Middleton but apparently so do many people because we cant find anything available. He is starting his job mid-may so we are running short on time.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:26 PM

Unless they have multiple sites, I believe that office is over near MATC (Madison College) near the airport. Perhaps an option to try is Sun Prairie which has a lot of new apt development just down 151 past the mall area; a short drive. You would have to look at the Madison Metro site to look at bus routes but im pretty sure it would take transfers to get from Covance to the south side and or Middleton. So if a short drive is required that may open up more doors.
I would also see what assistance and information Covance offers new hires for housing as well

Edit: there may be some apts in Windsor, not many buildings but just north on. 51

Old 04-27-2016, 07:42 PM

Thank you Ranger17. We will look into those areas.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:40 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
The thing is in any metro area anywhere, cheap apartments are not going to be "nice" or in desireable neighborhoods. With that said, I think there are still reasonably affordable apartments in Madison that aren't total dumps. If he is working near MATC on the east side there are cheapish apartments near East Towne Mall. I would think he could live there for a year and as he advances at the company he can move to nicer, newer complexes on the otherside of the interstate.

If he is young and single, it won't matter too much if the adjacent schools aren't the best or if there is more noise than in a more upscale community or if there aren't amenities or nice features. You have to start out somewhere...

Old 04-27-2016, 08:45 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
BTW I am wondering, when you were touring the area near Woodview Court in South Madison, what was your impression? If it didn't strike you as obviously not a great area....you might have a higher tolerance for rougher neighborhoods....so I am pretty sure you all can find something in a nicer area in a similar price range.

FYI, it is beneficial to visit the neighborhoods you consider at night. Head out to get gas on Park St, a snack at McDonalds and pick up something at the Walgreen's. You will get a very good idea of what issues the area has by doing so....

Old 04-27-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
The thing is in any metro area anywhere, cheap apartments are not going to be "nice" or in desireable neighborhoods. With that said, I think there are still reasonably affordable apartments in Madison that aren't total dumps. If he is working near MATC on the east side there are cheapish apartments near East Towne Mall. I would think he could live there for a year and as he advances at the company he can move to nicer, newer complexes on the otherside of the interstate..
Good point, there are complexes up behind the McDs by the mall (lived in them in 80's) that are in a convenient location. I dont recall hearing any major issues over there compared to the south side but as with any place use common sense and keep stuff locked up and dont wander around alone at nite. Just my .02 on that part.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:27 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Which site of Covance? There are multiple locations. But this is nuts. Don't live in Sun Prairie, if he's young, live downtown. Be where things are going on. If be is East Side he should live in near East Side, think of Blount, etc. And don't live on fish hatch area. At $800 he can easily find a place with 1-2 roommates. Don't give me the roommates are undesirable stuff, everyone does it out of college until 30ish, and he'll be where people want to live and play.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:06 AM

i too would have suggested roommates, as often that's the best way (at times only way) to afford to have a place these days. But the OP sounded like they were not from around here and had just a couple weeks to find an apt; that can be tough let alone to also find roommates unless one is ok living with total strangers.
Some may be, just not something i did or would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: