U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,216 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice on where to live. My husband took a job near East Towne Mall (East side of Madison). We are looking to rent for our first year as we don't really know what we want to do or if we will live here for a long period of time. We have very short notice that we are going to move so we need some help! Hoping to move in a month or so.

My wish list: near bike/walking paths, being able to walk into town where there are shops/restaurants, family friendly (we have a toddler), reasonably priced (we want to spend less than $1,500/month on rent). If we are going to make a big move like this we want it to be worthwhile and find a fun place to live.

We currently live in the Suburbs of Cincinnati, Ohio which has been great but we are looking to do something different. I'm worried our budget won't allow for most of my wish list, but I have hope! We are really looking to live in a vibrant area with lots of things going on that is easy to get to by either walking or possibly public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 06:57 PM

3,806 posts, read 8,518,834 times
My first thought would be Sun Prairie, on the side near 151. Just a couple minutes from East Towne area and a lot of development with housing areas connected by paths to shopping and eating spots. I have seen plenty of families out biking and walking those areas and there is plenty of retail to handle most needs nearby. From Costco and Target to Cabelas and a new theater complex with a couple larger grocers as well.
Seems there are apt complexes and townhomes not to mention single family homes.
Being just off hwy 151 it is not only close to the interstate and of course the mall area but that road turns into East Washington ave which runs right to the state cap building. Which if you like walks check out the farmers market downtown Madison on Saturdays. Largest of its kind in the states.
Anyhow that would be my first suggestion over the east side of Madison but that is only one opinion.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:02 PM

1,257 posts, read 637,156 times
The near east side would definitely give you the experience you are looking for, but I'm not sure you will be able to find anything in your price range. It is worth looking though - try the Jennifer Street/ Williamson Street area. East Johnson on the Isthmus might also work for you. This suggestion is a little more out there, but you could try the neighborhood around Olbrich Gardens. If you find something south of the gardens near Cottage Grove Rd it will be cheaper and there is a lot of new development going on there right now, so I'm hopeful that there will be nice places to go there in the near future. They're all great areas for biking and all are accessible to the lakes and city.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:03 PM

3,806 posts, read 8,518,834 times
hi OP, in case you end up considering the Sun Prairie area, thought i'd narrow down the spot I was suggesting (as SP can sprawl quite a bit into areas not real convenient).
What i was thinking of, was the stretch west of hwy 151 and south of hwy 19 if you map it out; Grand Ave runs north and south and that's where most of the newer retail and restaurants are located around with housing nearby. All connected by bike paths, etc.
Basically if you google Costco, Cabela's, Copps, etc and zoom out you'll get an idea on the housing around there.

I agree renting the first year is best when new to a region; and as the housing market here is pretty hot it can be overwhelming to try and find a home to buy short notice and hope it is in a town/neighborhood you'll want to spend time in.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:50 PM

10 posts, read 21,833 times
Default How was the move from Cincinnati to Madison?

Lalabub--I'm wondering how the move has been from Cincinnati to Madison. I'm considering doing the same and would love your thoughts. I'm in interviews now with a company in Madison and it's going well. Thanks!

I'm also pursuing another opportunity in Richmond, VA.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:27 PM

4,478 posts, read 1,427,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanylynn View Post
Lalabub--I'm wondering how the move has been from Cincinnati to Madison. I'm considering doing the same and would love your thoughts. I'm in interviews now with a company in Madison and it's going well. Thanks!

I'm also pursuing another opportunity in Richmond, VA.
Not sure if this counts for much, but I know a girl who moved here from Cincinnati and she really likes it...a lot more than Cincinnati apparently. She has an apartment right in the downtown area (not sure how pricey, but probably around the $1000-1500/month range if I had to guess) and mentioned that she'd like to stay but it depends on what type of job she can get after grad school.

So that's my second-hand story...but she definitely likes it here.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 1,821 times
brittanylynn: I moved here from Cincinnati last August and the city is growing on me. In OH I lived at the Banks, right in downtown and when I first moved here I really missed that lifestyle. The great restaurant scene, bars and outdoor patios. There doesn't seem to be as many people out and about as I am used to in larger cities and meeting people here is a little harder because a lot of people that live here that aren't in school either grew up here or are always traveling for work so finding complimentary schedules has been difficult. That said, I am happy I moved. It's a prettier city, the lakes are amazing, there is so much to do just by waling around downtown any day or night of the week and once you get to actually meet people, it's very easy to befriend them. I'm sure you've already had to make your decision given the date on your post, but if you are still interested, I suggest giving it a try. Cost of living is quite a bit higher here though so keep that in mind when negotiating salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or