Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 01:19 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,737,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
You can google your question and come up with the answer. You can go to the Planning Dept and inquire and get all the public information that is available. You can ask people at the jobsite about what they are building. Not sure why you think you are entitled to have all the details spelled out for you on your terms. I haven't seen that done anywhere else that I have lived either. This isn't just your world, the rest of us live here too.

Neither have I and I've lived in six different states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 12:38 PM

1,289 posts, read 582,333 times
I have lived in 3 other countries besides USA and in each a place a public display was mandatory at the site.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:46 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,200,079 times
Yes, but keep in mind you are in the USA. State to state, and even county to county (local to local) ordinances can vary. This is symptomatic of why we have hard time fixing some major issues in our country. Something which is clearly useful, and for the greater good is often interpreted here as 'what business it of yours what's going up on this parcel'. Absolutely silly(!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
I have lived in 3 other countries besides USA and in each a place a public display was mandatory at the site.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:14 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,024,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
I'm trying to find out what is being constructed at a particular site.
It's a triangular parcel at Fordem Ave and Sherman Ave.

There's some major excavation going on, and an architects and builders have their banners up, but no actual building or permit information on public display.
I guess maybe that's not required here.
Anyway i sent 2 emails to different aldermans and got zero responses.

Why is it difficult to find out?

I've tried looking at the City of Madison, Wisconsin page but i can't find anything.
It actually isn't difficult to find out if you are involved and care enough to go to city planning meetings, sit through hours of legal babble, and watch the permitting process. All applications are publicly heard at the commission meetings for those who take the time to attend. Otherwise, as someone else already found, there is very good media coverage of almost everything that happens in the Madison community if you look a little.

It is not highly likely that the city or other government entity is going to ensure that they put information our where it will be convenient for everyone to find. Interested parties need to invest in the process to stay informed.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:12 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,966,463 times
This may be a slight sidetrack. We've built 2 new homes over the years, one here in WI and one down south. While both were under construction, I would either find someone (new neighbor) wandering around the place checking it out, or would hear from them in conversation what they thought.
Now I am one who believes if it is on private property, then it is private. If/when I want someone not tied to building it coming in I will invite them. Until then, they can cure their curiosity elsewhere.

Again not fully on the same track as the thread, but in general that is just my 2 cents.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 943,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
This may be a slight sidetrack. We've built 2 new homes over the years, one here in WI and one down south. While both were under construction, I would either find someone (new neighbor) wandering around the place checking it out, or would hear from them in conversation what they thought.
Now I am one who believes if it is on private property, then it is private. If/when I want someone not tied to building it coming in I will invite them. Until then, they can cure their curiosity elsewhere.

Again not fully on the same track as the thread, but in general that is just my 2 cents.

I've lived in two different new construction neighborhoods in different parts of Wisconsin, and it's true that this is a favorite pastime of the neighbors. All my neighbors knew our floor plan better than I did when we moved in.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:29 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,488,154 times
All that was needed was to enter the intersection into Google, it came right up...from 2015!

60-unit apartment building proposed for corner of Fordem and Sherman avenues | Local News | host.madison.com

Old 07-13-2016, 10:10 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,200,079 times
Nicely done, Bob!

Old 07-17-2016, 02:24 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,491,917 times
Interesting... they look like the same apartment type buildings I see in Southern California. Must be pretty popular.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:51 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,246,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Interesting... they look like the same apartment type buildings I see in Southern California. Must be pretty popular.
West Coast architecture trends are spreading.. Also, Madison has lots of growth in Tech, I think part of it is marketing from a real estate standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: