Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 11:39 PM

8 posts, read 10,421 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone . My wife and I are considering a potential move from Birmingham, AL to Madison, so we are looking at housing options to help weigh the pros and cons.

Based on my limited research and the below wants, the Eastmoreland neighborhood appears to be a solid fit. We are open to renting or buying and don't have kids.
- Easy drive out of the city east on I94 (potential job)
- $225,000 max
- Near downtown, non chain restaurants, bars, amenities
- Easy access to dedicated paved bike trails
- Minimum of 2 beds and 2 baths
- Fenced in backyard
- Decent elementary (for if we do decide to have kids)
- Diversity

So, here come the questions.
Am I looking in the right neighborhood to meet those wants?
Is it a safe neighborhood?
What is the vibe of the neighborhood? (we currently live in a relatively progressive and eclectic neighborhood)
What is property tax in this area?

Thanks for any and all information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 05:50 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
hi OP, while I will leave the pros and cons to that specific neighborhood to those who may live in or near it I did want to note that sites like Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments & Houses for Rent - realtor.com® will show the prop tax history on homes for sale to give you an idea. Not sure how AL compares to SC for taxing property, but WI is much higher than SC was for property tax on homes (lived there '08-14). Note WI does not attach a prop tax to cars or rec vehicles, for some general comparisons.
Also:
- where about is the potential job being considered? Keep in mind travel time here in winter can up to double over summer due to snow/inclement weather.
- I'd suggest hooking up with a realtor here regardless if you wish to rent or buy, to help sort thru the available options and give you a tour when you visit.
- i usually suggest renting the first year if one is not familiar with a new location; gets you time to see if the spot you chose is good before settling in and not having to make a rush decision. Right now much of the area here is in a hot real estate market which helps sellers. Meaning there can be little time to react if you find "the right home" which for someone out of state can be tough to deal with.
- Madison is a smaller city, though getting thru it can take time as the downtown is basically between 2 lakes so traffic funnels in and out near and around the capital square.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:30 AM

1,261 posts, read 949,869 times
Eastmoreland is a great neighborhood and has all of the things you are looking for. The elementary school in the neighborhood is great, the middle and high school get mixed reviews but I know people with children in the middle and high who are very happy with them. The neighborhood is quite safe and definitely has a hippy/lefty vibe. There are some great restaurants and cafes in the area. It is a great neighborhood for commuting downtown or to anywhere on the east side of the city. It is not very convenient for commuting to the far west side. If public transportation is important to you, it is a great location and the Capital City bike trail goes right through the neighborhood, so you can easily bike anywhere in the city from the neighborhood.

The one thing I'd caution about is the Madison-Kipp Corporation in the neighborhood. There has been an ongoing legal battle between Kipp and the surrounding homes over some pretty serious pollution issues. I'd just do a little research on this before purchasing a home if you end up considering one close to the plant.

I'd also suggest possibly expanding your search south along Atwood Avenue/Monona Drive. The housing gets a little cheaper as you go south from Eastmoreland and the neighborhood is still very nice - just a little farther from the popular/trendy shops and restaurants on Atwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison