Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:09 PM

22 posts, read 77,329 times

Advertisements

You should pick the neighborhood you like, and if you have kids the schools you like. The drive is not that bad. You can get use to almost anything. I have always lived on the far west side of Madison, and for eight years I drove to my job on American Parkway on the far east side everyday with a toddler in the car. Typically it took me 20-25 minutes. If there was an accident on the beltline or if the roads were bad add another 10-20 minutes onto your drive.

I have changed jobs a couple of times, but I love where I live and have never regretted the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
It's been awhile since I've been all the way down the beltline to Verona, but where everyone is saying 45 minutes I would guess a solid hour, given you've got to get from the house to the office (not just down the hwy). Even if he's used to it, that's no excuse for taking another crappy commute . And in winter weather, my 25 minute commute from Appleton to Oshkosh can easily double.

I'd also look at Middleton; my guess is that since you've lived in the DC area you're used to expensive housing so even Middleton (being a bit more pricey than other Madison areas as I understand) should be within your means. Also it was picked as the best place to live a year or two ago by cnn money, and it's alot closer to the heart of Madison for when you want to go out and do fun stuff, shop, etc.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:38 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
You know, I was really wondering if I was the slowest driver in Madison , so thanks for bringing that up, Yo Vanilla. I used to pet sit in Verona and I live by East Towne Mall. It took me a solid 45 minutes to get there and longer if traffic was snarky. I always "budgeted" an hour to be safe. I'm probably about 10-15 miles closer to Verona than Sun Prairie is, too.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:23 PM

26 posts, read 79,292 times
My husband currently works at Epic - he's not at the new campus yet (he's still on Tokay Blvd. in Madison) but he is FED up with the commute. It is an absolute drag for him, especially in severe weather or when there is an accident on the Beltline which there often is. He leaves at 5:00 and isn't home until at least 5:45. Like you, we are from the east coast, and well, we came to Madison to LEAVE that commute behind!!

We presently live on the far east side (east of Sprecher Rd.) and we are building a new house in Verona. We move in 3 weeks and not a moment too soon as the gas prices are about to go through the roof.

Verona has a very hometown kind of feel, and being an east coaster, I can tell you without doubt that you will feel far more at home on the west side of town. Even the drivers are closer to what we are missing... LOL

Please PM me if you wish. I urge you to consider the West side and avoid the commute.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:30 AM

41 posts, read 136,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY4eva View Post
My husband currently works at Epic - he's not at the new campus yet (he's still on Tokay Blvd. in Madison) but he is FED up with the commute. It is an absolute drag for him, especially in severe weather or when there is an accident on the Beltline which there often is. He leaves at 5:00 and isn't home until at least 5:45. Like you, we are from the east coast, and well, we came to Madison to LEAVE that commute behind!!

We presently live on the far east side (east of Sprecher Rd.) and we are building a new house in Verona. We move in 3 weeks and not a moment too soon as the gas prices are about to go through the roof.

Verona has a very hometown kind of feel, and being an east coaster, I can tell you without doubt that you will feel far more at home on the west side of town. Even the drivers are closer to what we are missing... LOL

Please PM me if you wish. I urge you to consider the West side and avoid the commute.
I will be moving to Madison from NY in a few weeks and I was just wondering what kinds of things would make me feel more at home on the west side? I'm trying to narrow down an area to search for an apt.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:35 AM

Qazzaq9 - If you are from NYC no place in Madison will remind you of the city. There is no way two communities that vary so greatly in size, location etc could possibly have much in common. That said, I think you would be most comfortable downtown. It's about as urban as Madison gets, but very much has a small town feel. I wouldn't live on campus, maybe just west of the capital closer to the capital or just east of the capital as you *don't* want to live with undergraduate students. You'll have an Animal House experience if you live among students.

What's your price range? If you do live in the city then rents here won't phase you, but they are pricer than you would expect for a city this size in the Midwest.

Check out this thread for some ideas:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/madis...-s-single.html

Old 06-03-2008, 06:26 PM

42 posts, read 189,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stg View Post
Look at Fitchburg or Middleton. I would not send my kids to Sun Prairie or Madison schools (I moved out of Madison and my wife went to SP schools as she grew up there). Be care if you look in Fitchburg, some of that city goes to the Madison school district. Verona & Middleton has a very good school district and is closer to what it sounds you are looking for. McFarland also has hocky, is a small town and would require the trips into Madison. McFarland has a fine school district as well.

Good luck
OK bull poop. Madison and Sun Prarie both have great schools. I have lived here all my life and my kids go there. Second, My suggestions for a place to live: Why not just live in Madison. Its a great city, neighborhoods are very community oriented and every Amenity that you could get in sun prarie or anywere else.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:08 AM

26 posts, read 79,292 times
Looks like Megan said it best, qazzac9. Nothing upon nothing will EVER make you feel like you are still living the NY lifestyle. It simply doesn't compare. I do know a few East Coasters who said they felt most "at-home" living right near the capital so as to be in walking distance of all the "urban" Madison has to offer. It's a good idea. And, the public transportation system here leaves a little to be desired, so no matter where you live, you might consider buying a car if you don't have one already. Be prepared for a little culture shock.

Just curious where you're from in NY? Are you a born & bred NYer?

Old 06-06-2008, 10:18 AM

41 posts, read 136,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY4eva View Post
Looks like Megan said it best, qazzac9. Nothing upon nothing will EVER make you feel like you are still living the NY lifestyle. It simply doesn't compare. I do know a few East Coasters who said they felt most "at-home" living right near the capital so as to be in walking distance of all the "urban" Madison has to offer. It's a good idea. And, the public transportation system here leaves a little to be desired, so no matter where you live, you might consider buying a car if you don't have one already. Be prepared for a little culture shock.

Just curious where you're from in NY? Are you a born & bred NYer?
I'm from upstate NY actually. Right near Binghamton, which pretty much explains why I'm moving, lol.

There are certain traits all New Yorkers share I think though. I was thinking along the lines of the speed of life. As in we tend to work fast, drive fast, walk fast, talk fast, etc. And moving somewhere else where life in the slow lane is the norm might be hard to get used to. From what I have been able to research so far Madison seems up to speed except for driving. I already am prepared to never speed, and with the gas prices its probably a good idea anyway.

The only other thing I am kind of worried about is being comfortable and somewhat fitting in. Not everyone enjoys the no nonsense new yorker. But everyone here seems cool, and I've talked to many people in Madison through myspace and personals sites and most everyone seems down to earth and more importantly proud of who they are and where they're from. I like to be around stand up people like that, and as far as the change of culture, I look foreward to it.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 AM

One thing you might find is that the definition of "polite" is different. I have an acquaintance from MO who is continually frustrated because the people she meets defer to the wants and needs of others "too much."

For example, when planning something to do on a Saturday night, the Wisconsinite (according to her) will try to feel you out to find out what you want to do first, like see a movie, and then will try to figure out which movie you'd want to see.

I guess I do see that in myself, but I figured it was my own little dysfunction, not a region wide phenomenon. I don't think she was trying to give me a hint as we don't do too much together and I have never been in the position of making any decisions. She and her boy friend have simply invited me to their parties. Pretty straightforward stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison