U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 09:58 AM

2,802 posts, read 1,531,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
I guess research prior to a move is warranted in all cases.
I will second that thought. He did not fully research the economy/job/demographic situation, although he's dead incorrect about the percentage of 'uneducated' people residing there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 01:31 PM

3,807 posts, read 8,542,268 times
Not sure why one would compare 2 cities with such a large population variance; for the # of jobs available. Seattle is well more than twice the population size over Madison; and as noted except for the UW, the gov't, and a few larger firms like Epic, Am Fam, etc this is not a market with a lot of higher volume employers.

This is [u]not[u] meant to offend anyone, but having a 'degree' in general doesn't always equate to higher paying work. One still needs the proper education and training in the field they are trying to get into to be able to advance. My wife's office gets a fair share of applicants with 4 year degrees in other fields, but they don't all succeed there. When my daughter was out looking for a different/better job she ran into offices that had 'many' applicants and it took multiple interviews at each site to get an offer. But she did get them and they took care of her.

I will say there are jobs out there, that yes some are "day shift" jobs but i can not say if they fall into the OP's wife's area of want or expertise. But they do exist. Some pay poorly, some do not. But having the correct training and education can really help vs just holding a piece of paper.

Again, no offense meant to anyone, as I've known plenty with a degree in one area that are making their living doing something else. Including myself.....

Old 04-12-2017, 10:18 PM

89 posts, read 55,784 times
Default Reply - Thanks everyone

Thank you wiscokay and ranger17. I do like Seattle but only in terms of the transport system, the "potential job opportunities" and the vast amount of things to do there. I left because it offered mainly contract jobs and the people I meet outside work, about more than 50% seem to have contracts.

I dislike the cold bitter weather in Wisconsin. However it does offer more job stability for me though I do see less "opportunities." I feel that I may not be as competitive if I stayed here a long time unless I actually rose up the ranks and that is a big if since promotions and all that are made from many factors, not all of them due to hard work or smarts.

Me not seeing my wife for nearly two years is a huge deal. That is only is able to get shift work is something I find very lacking here, in terms of opportunities for her. It should not be that way.

Research is sometimes difficult because there is a lot of misinformation out there on the web. It is not always clear when data is distorted and I see it over and over again. Plain wrong data from "trusted websites." Who is paying who? Is something that goes inside my mind.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:58 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,834,925 times
You aren't helping yourself when you come on forums and then disregard what others - that have lived in the exact same locations you are in or considering - are telling you.

I lived in the Madison area and worked there. I spent a year unemployed there, followed by a year and a half of gross underemployment. I hired and fired literally hundreds of people across WI and northern IL. You are in an area where your degree will likely keep you modestly employed and your wife's is generally worthless.

Austin is not affordable for those making less than ~$80k a year. Suburbs are better, but not much. There is almost zero public transportation to/from the suburbs, and jobs here are hotly contested. Literally every day over 115 people arrive in the Austin area looking for the utopia promised on the pages of every "10 best places to live" list in the country. You and your se will be competing with all of them for that little slice of heaven while you pay $1,100 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment with UT students next door keeping your cockroaches awake.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:59 PM

I largely get that feel when my wife is not able to get a 8-5 job. It gives me the impression that the market has too much supply and not enough demand. "Uneducated" is a relative term but in this context, anything less than associates degree. My wife has an associates degree which she worked hard for. Employers here aren't looking at that.

She had better jobs before.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:02 PM

I am willing to do anything to get more pay or skills. I don't have to stick to my line of work which is mainly financial analysis or reporting. My pay rate fluctuates quite a bit, so yes, I am aware that I may not be getting the best deal in town.

That said, the lower paying jobs offer stability, the higher paying ones often don't.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:03 PM

Ok. I get your point. Austin is not a good place if I make less than 80K. I am not bent on going to Austin. I am still exploring. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:31 PM

140 posts, read 61,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedqq1 View Post
I largely get that feel when my wife is not able to get a 8-5 job. It gives me the impression that the market has too much supply and not enough demand. "Uneducated" is a relative term but in this context, anything less than associates degree. My wife has an associates degree which she worked hard for. Employers here aren't looking at that.

She had better jobs before.
We've stated this in other posts, but it's not that there are too many in uneducated people in Madison. The problem is there are more people that have Bachelors and Masters degrees than there are high level jobs available. This means that the people with these degrees are working the positions that typically would be filled with associates degree holders. You wife and her associates degree are competing for jobs with candidates with Bachelors degrees.

I've only met a few people here that don't have at least a 4 year degree. This city is far from being uneducated as you stated. Like I said, if anything, it's over educated. I myself am shocked at the number of people I know working on or already with degrees beyond the typical Bachelors.

That being said, it took me a year and a half of living here before I got the 8-5 career job I'm at now. I knew it's be a little difficult as I was newly out of college with my 4 year degree and minimal work experience. Even so, in that year and a half I worked 2 temp jobs to gain experience and both were full time 8-5 jobs. It's not impossible, you just have to treat the job search as a job itself.

Either you don't understand what we're saying or you're set in your ways of thinking. In reading your posts, I'm beginning to think you may run into this problem in most cities. I'd say look at larger cities, which have a larger number and a wider variety of jobs available.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
We've stated this in other posts, but it's not that there are too many in uneducated people in Madison. The problem is there are more people that have Bachelors and Masters degrees than there are high level jobs available. This means that the people with these degrees are working the positions that typically would be filled with associates degree holders. You wife and her associates degree are competing for jobs with candidates with Bachelors degrees.

I've only met a few people here that don't have at least a 4 year degree. This city is far from being uneducated as you stated. Like I said, if anything, it's over educated. I myself am shocked at the number of people I know working on or already with degrees beyond the typical Bachelors.

That being said, it took me a year and a half of living here before I got the 8-5 career job I'm at now. I knew it's be a little difficult as I was newly out of college with my 4 year degree and minimal work experience. Even so, in that year and a half I worked 2 temp jobs to gain experience and both were full time 8-5 jobs. It's not impossible, you just have to treat the job search as a job itself.

Either you don't understand what we're saying or you're set in your ways of thinking. In reading your posts, I'm beginning to think you may run into this problem in most cities. I'd say look at larger cities, which have a larger number and a wider variety of jobs available.
I think how a person views a city has largely to do with one's job. I see many educated people but that is because the jobs I work in have those people. My wife's situation is different.

However it has been 2 years and she has not been able to clinch a 8 - 5 job. Our rental agreement is coming up soon and we do not want to sign another year's lease. It is hard to break a rental agreement.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:20 AM

4,542 posts, read 4,888,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
You aren't helping yourself when you come on forums and then disregard what others - that have lived in the exact same locations you are in or considering - are telling you.
Your opinions are opinions.. not "facts".

There are people living in Austin making less than 80K and still enjoying life.
It's all relative.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 04-14-2017 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or