U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 03:08 PM

89 posts, read 55,388 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've lived in Madison for about 2 years and my spouse and I were previously from Seattle. The main reason for moving out is because the jobs given to my wife are all shift work and she is not able to get a 8 - 5pm job. She has an associates degree and she had more opportunities in Seattle. I have a MBA and had less opportunities in Seattle. Madison has too many "uneducated folks" and the market is not absorbing them. Seattle has too many educated folks and the market also does not absorb them. We both have not seen each other for the large part. We also really dislike the weather here. It is not the kind of cold Seattle has. The road is ice and it is almost impossible to walk during winter. The largest employer here appears to be the government and EPIC. There is less job opportunities for me here too because there appears to be less corporations for my kind of work. My wife would like to be an admin assistant and I have usually been into financial reporting. I am not really doing financial reporting at this time, mainly purchasing, which is a step down.

I would like to hear of people who have moved out of Madison. I would also like to hear viewpoints of people who know our situation and have sensible advice for us. Ideally I would like data on all the profiles of people living in a city, education level, major, job experience and number of open positions, number of jobs filled, transport etc. That kind of data does not appear readily available.

One other issue here. Madison's transport is not good. It takes about 15 minutes to travel by car and about 1.5 hours by bus to go anywhere. That wasn't what I saw in Seattle where the bus and car travel time did not fluctuate as widely. We do not own a car and would like to be in a city where public transport is excellent.

We had considered some places to move but ruled them out due to their high rent or high violence. We want somewhere safe. We are also open to migrating to another country and if readers have migrated to another country and understand the paperwork involved, that would be great if they would share the information. We had considered Canada Vancouver but it seems there are a lot of expensive vacant apartments there.

I am Asian and my wife is white. I would preferable like to be in a place that has more Asians and I would not want to discriminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 03:51 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,822,923 times
Unfortunately the Madison market is skewed by the government, healthcare, and (specifically) Epic compared to other areas around the country. It is highly skewed when compared to the rest of Wisconsin. With an MBA and experience in financial reporting you should be marketable in many locations. The question will be more about where you actually want to live. Without delving too deeply, you should probably accept the fact that your wifes employment will be secondary and the associates degree will do little for her in most areas where you find meaningful employment.

Seattle would be on my short list to advise you to consider, along with Denver, Dallas, and Durham-Chapel Hill, NC. I think Minneapolis-St. Paul are potentially good for you but the weather may not be to your liking. A good employment scenario, combined with mass transit options, moderate climate, and reasonable cost of living are pretty much what the majority of people are looking for. Unfortunately, when they find it and start to migrate there, costs go up, urban sprawl begins, and the benefits of moving there quickly begin to evaporate.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:45 PM

448 posts, read 230,808 times
I guess research prior to a move is warranted in all cases.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:15 AM

321 posts, read 516,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedqq1 View Post
Hi,

I've lived in Madison for about 2 years and my spouse and I were previously from Seattle. The main reason for moving out is because the jobs given to my wife are all shift work and she is not able to get a 8 - 5pm job. She has an associates degree and she had more opportunities in Seattle. I have a MBA and had less opportunities in Seattle. Madison has too many "uneducated folks" and the market is not absorbing them. Seattle has too many educated folks and the market also does not absorb them. We both have not seen each other for the large part. We also really dislike the weather here. It is not the kind of cold Seattle has. The road is ice and it is almost impossible to walk during winter. The largest employer here appears to be the government and EPIC. There is less job opportunities for me here too because there appears to be less corporations for my kind of work. My wife would like to be an admin assistant and I have usually been into financial reporting. I am not really doing financial reporting at this time, mainly purchasing, which is a step down.

I would like to hear of people who have moved out of Madison. I would also like to hear viewpoints of people who know our situation and have sensible advice for us. Ideally I would like data on all the profiles of people living in a city, education level, major, job experience and number of open positions, number of jobs filled, transport etc. That kind of data does not appear readily available.

One other issue here. Madison's transport is not good. It takes about 15 minutes to travel by car and about 1.5 hours by bus to go anywhere. That wasn't what I saw in Seattle where the bus and car travel time did not fluctuate as widely. We do not own a car and would like to be in a city where public transport is excellent.

We had considered some places to move but ruled them out due to their high rent or high violence. We want somewhere safe. We are also open to migrating to another country and if readers have migrated to another country and understand the paperwork involved, that would be great if they would share the information. We had considered Canada Vancouver but it seems there are a lot of expensive vacant apartments there.

I am Asian and my wife is white. I would preferable like to be in a place that has more Asians and I would not want to discriminated.
What you experienced about Madison is the real reality of the area. There are people out there that think Madison is amazing because websites say so. That isn't true at all. There aren't that many large corporations in Madison that will pay big dollars and the ones that do are filled with government, education, healthcare and EPIC.

I moved out of Madison many years ago and it was a great move.

If you want to make big dollars and have a career that gets you places, Madison isn't where you should be going.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:40 PM

Thank you Rynldsbr and liveurdream. Seattle was where I had been previously and I only had contract jobs there. However I had good contract jobs with big name corporations. The experience I gained over the 8 years I was there also allows me to be an advanced Excel user. I was in FP&A among other things. However the contract jobs was horrendous for my year over year finances since there was no telling when the next job would come and I found employers to be very picky. I was not willing to believe that all employers were like that and I felt it was likely a Pacific Northwest phenomena, which is why I moved to the Midwest.

That said, the jobs here have pay rates that are very low compared to Seattle. While cost of living here is low, the pay is equally low. Thus I can't call here a "winner." I am not that comfortable with the crime rate here either. It is not as bad as Chicago but I am a lot more wary of the environment here. Seattle was for the most part nice unless one lived in South Seattle or Tacoma. There were some other bad areas too.

I was thinking of Texas Austin but would be concerned of Tornadoes. I was interested in Houston but hear the violent crime rate is high there. I like most people do not want a place that has high violent crimes. I was attracted to Austin because the living cost seems low there while the salary seems comparable to other big cities. I may be wrong. And yes, I understand how a "perfect place" becomes red once people realize it is "hot." Then it becomes a struggling game just to keep afloat. Unless one was in a Profession like Medicine, where the fairy tale goes on forever, in my opinion, with high entries to barrier and a huge demand, the noose around the neck tightens in many fields.

Not sure what I have to do yet but I find that not gaining widely transferable skills that command a high pay rate is going be a huge drawback to staying here.

Last edited by sedqq1; 04-08-2017 at 11:15 PM..

Old 04-08-2017, 10:46 PM

Default Bad place for marriage

Rynldsbr - Madison WI is bad for my marriage when I don't see my wife because she is only able to get shift work. I am not expecting her to make very good pay but I find it incredible that the city would not give her a job that allows her to work 8am - 5pm. It does not seem to be a very big request, even with her having an associate's degree. She has tried. She has gone for other jobs. It is not a lack of trying.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:28 PM

140 posts, read 60,115 times
Quote:

Madison has too many "uneducated folks" and the market is not absorbing them.
I see Madison as having the exact opposite problem. This may be an exaggeration, but it seems that everyone I meet in Madison is either in grad school or has an advanced degree. Therefore, there are too many highly educated folks for the number of positions requiring an advanced degree available, leaving them to take the lower level jobs from the more "uneducated folks".

Quote:
I am not that comfortable with the crime rate here either. It is not as bad as Chicago but I am a lot more wary of the environment here. Seattle was for the most part nice unless one lived in South Seattle or Tacoma. There were some other bad areas too.
I also find this hard to believe. I feel very safe in this city and I come from the Dakotas, where crime is minimal. Madison has a fairly low crime rate for a city of it's size. Just a quick look at the Sterlings Best Places site to compare Madison to Seattle, I found this (looks to be much lower in Madison than Seattle to me):

Crime Rates
Violent Crime: Madison, WI = 30.4 – Seattle, WA = 52.7 – United States = 31.1
Property Crime: Madison, WI = 44.9 – Seattle, WA = 65.4 – United States = 38.1
The crime indices range 1-100. A higher number corresponds with more crime. Our crime rates are based on FBI data.

Now I'm not saying you should stick it out. If you don't really like Madison, then you are free to do what makes you happy. I, myself, will not be here long term either. I just think you have been a little unfair in your judgement on a few of the points you made.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:00 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,822,923 times
Wiscokay is correct in the crime rate and education analysis. More people with advanced degrees is driving your wife to shift work. They are taking the positions that would fall to associate degree education level in a normalized market.

Austin is not for you. Housing cost, absolute dearth of public transportation, and urban sprawl rule this out for you. Tornadoes are even a real worry here. You see, I started life in Madison and ended up here in Central Texas due to a career opportunity. This city is Madison on steroids. Hype about being great drives over 100 people a day to the Austin metro area. The greatness wore off long ago.

I suggest you continue to seek the best employment options in any of the tech areas you mentioned but keep honing your skills. For an analyst, you've missed the mark at least twice in Madison and Austin.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:41 PM

Default Reply feedback

Thank you wiscokay and Rynldsbr for your input. There are many people with College degree here but they would work for minimal pay since they have no idea what they are worth, nor do they have a choice since they have bills to pay.

Corporations and organizations want education with working experience and the fresh graduates will not be taken in easily.

I do not disagree with data sets but I do disagree with my experience in the places I have lived and what those data say. That is not to say the data is incorrect but I do not know what assumptions have been made in those models, what the survey size is, how random it is etc. And yes, there are lots of places in Seattle or WA that are not safe, have high crime but I did not go to those areas since they are known to be crime ridden.

Austin does not appear to be hit by tornadoes frequently and housing cost does look cheap and salaries do look high. I can always get a car if need be. I'm not saying Austin is the best place but it does look like a gem. Then again, statistics and web pages and research only go so far. Living in a place and evaluating it is the only thing that counts. Madison had seemed like a very nice place from all the research. But there are some deal breakers here, like my wife not being able to get a job that is first shift. Seems rather cruel to me. It isn't asking much at all. That and also job opportunities where skills can be gained and where one can use those skills to ask for higher pay within a short time.

Last edited by sedqq1; 04-11-2017 at 08:57 PM..

Old 04-12-2017, 07:41 AM

140 posts, read 60,115 times
Quote:

I do not disagree with data sets but I do disagree with my experience in the places I have lived and what those data say. That is not to say the data is incorrect but I do not know what assumptions have been made in those models, what the survey size is, how random it is etc. And yes, there are lots of places in Seattle or WA that are not safe, have high crime but I did not go to those areas since they are known to be crime ridden.
While I agree on questioning the reliability of survey data, crime stats are based on actual reported crimes. They take the total number of actual crimes and compare it to the total population of the area. There is no survey size or randomness involved. The numbers I listed above are based on crime data from the FBI.

I hope you find the place that was meant for you. Just remember, that no city is perfect. Every city is going to have its downfalls. You just have to decide which city balances the positives and negatives the best. Do your research online, but I suggest to go visit the place for a week or so before actually making the decision to move. Don't treat it like a vacation. Do the things that you would do if you lived there (walk around neighborhoods you may live in, go to the grocery store, drive through rush hour traffic, etc). This will help you get a feel for the day-to-day lifestyle of the potential city and it should help you decide if it's the place for you.

You seem to really like Seattle, is there anything specifically keeping you from moving back? Sounds like it should be near the top of your list. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or