Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,392 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating from the Milwaukee area to Baraboo within the next year. Looking for honest opinions; the good, the bad and the ugly. What's the job situation like (office/admin/clerical)? What about housing? I'm looking to rent, it's just me but I would like to eventually get a small dog. I've never actually spent much time in Baraboo, just happened to drive through recently and thought it looked like a nice place. I'm sick of the big city, Milwaukee it just too dirty and the crime is getting out of hand. I'm looking for a small, quaint place to call home and read that Baraboo is just that. I would consider a commute to a larger nearby city for work if I had to but it would be nice to work closer to home if possible.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 08:41 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,862,590 times
Job wise I'd look to live a little closer to Madison to have it as a backup to find work. I've always liked Prairie du Sac/Sauk City. I've found that there's surprisingly good availability for housing in smaller towns if you know where to look (local Facebook groups.)

Definitely spend more time in the area before moving. Sometimes a place can look extra rosy when it's a contrast from where you live.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
Yes there can be benefits to living in a smaller community, and Baraboo's location is perfect for those who enjoy the outdoors (multiple state parks, etc). But small markets may mean fewer opportunities.
One can always go on the various job sites to see what is available in Baraboo (and close by Lake Delton/Dells, and even Reedsburg.
The previously mentioned Sauk City/PdS is a very good option, close enough to Middleton/west side of Madison for work options yet a smaller community and close to Baraboo/Dells for short drives.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,814 times
Having grown up in Baraboo, I'd say pick a surrounding city. Reedsburg, Lake Delton, Sauk City/Prairie du Sac (as another poster mentioned), etc. Baraboo is just too small and too many people find trouble around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison