U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:16 PM

61 posts, read 170,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_sassy View Post
We are looking at Colorado... still cold, but more mild then Wisconsin. Sunny days are 300+ days a year. My heart aches to leave Wisconsin, but it will be snowing again tomorrow and the temps aren't even showing to improve. The one day we get that warms up a bit, winds ruin the opportunity to enjoy the day outside.
I see you decided to stay.. good for you! I'm relocating from CO to Madison this summer, just thought I'd touch on this post.

Very true, our winters are definitely milder and we get lots of sun! Though really depends on what part of the state you're in (Gunnison, CO for instance will rival WI for cold temps). I'm just outside Boulder, CO. I actually love the weather here - except the wind! Our wind is little advertised and it ruins many an otherwise warm winter day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:04 AM

19,419 posts, read 13,167,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
It's funny; your dislike of the unremitting cold and wind is just about identical to our hatred of the continual hot weather in South Texas, which was a factor in our decision to return to the Midwest. I felt just as cooped up and confined by the perpetual heat there as you describe feeling here from the cold. Nobody in South Texas went outdoors if they could help it; people darted from their air-conditioned homes to their air-conditioned cars, and from their air-conditioned cars to air-conditioned offices or stores, and only the very poorest of the poor were ever seen actually walking or working out of doors. I find it a whole lot easier to cope with cold weather here than I ever did with the Texas heat; I can always put on another layer here, but in Texas, you can take off enough clothes to get yourself arrested and you'll still be too hot.

I guess it's all in what you can and cannot tolerate. Having spent a whole lot more years in the South than I ever wanted to, I'll never leave the Midwest again, but I know that for many people, it goes the other way, and they can't wait to reach a warmer region. I hope you find a spot that feels right to you, both in climate and in fit.
As someone who has lived all over the map, and in all climates, I agree with you. If it is cold, you can always throw on a jacket. but if it is brutally hot, or even worse, hot & humid, you are at the mercy of the heat.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 AM

7,645 posts, read 18,875,108 times
I stay inside unless it's 60 and above, 50 is still very cold for me

Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 AM

51 posts, read 98,340 times
I am from Dallas Texas and loved it and yes gets hot but but not all time like snow and fridget weather and all snow closing and it sucks and winters sucks up here. Hard on cars, traffic, can not do nothing and snow gets dirty and lot of cracked up roads and side walks and cleveland could do more to clean up city and people could do better keeping up there homes in some parts of town. I think it is sad you have to go downtown to have fun. Most people in the suburbs don't like going to the inner city.

When a lot of indrustail left or laid off people is when you seen people leave and all blight and forclosures in the city. Many reason for the problems in cleveland and our the leaders in cleveland all they do talk a good game and nothing never gets done end up only be a pip dream.

Why cleveland can't be like Pittsburg and look what they did to there city and won the super bowl.
Cleveland is a football town and we our a laughing stock in the NFL and a new fired caoch from NY. I guess if your desperate you have to hire somebody.

You our right I take hotter weather of the hard dirty winters in cleveland any day of the week!!!!

The winters can be very rough on cleveland and get cabin fever it sucks and can get depressing. People in cleveland are very toug people to endure all this in cleveland.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:05 AM

I love CO wish I was there and so beatiful and so much to do. One of the cleaning places I ever seen. I want to retire in Some place ne3ar Denever if can afford it. Our economy and goverment is a mess and sending us in a black hole with no return. 9-13 trillion is what iks forcasted the budget and Obama is going downhill fast has no clue what he is doing and stock market has been taking a killing and my 401 retirement is a joke lost 50% owell

Have a good day
Mike from Ohio

Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I stay inside unless it's 60 and above, 50 is still very cold for me
how can people being couped up at home all the time and I hate all the junk on TV and living like like that is no life. I guess to each there own. I like people have life and are fun and happy people.

I see so amy boring and unhappy it is not funny and it sad.

O well

Mike From Painesville Ohio

Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_sassy View Post
Ok, I am just about out of here. My heart aches because I love Madison so much. As I write this I am also locating other areas nationwide that will match up to Madison but with a little milder temps. The weather this winter has done me in. Our 12 year old loves to ski at Tyrol Basin but our 5 year old will not leave the house. It isn't the snow he hates, it is the wind and frigid temps. What makes it worse is that we work from home and never get out of the house on some days.

Just thought I would find out how do you all deal with this weather? I feel so unhealthy right now not getting outside enough.... the wind in Mt. Horeb never ends!!!
I hate the weather up here. The fridgit cold and all the cold, dirty looking snow and how hard it is on streets and side walks and all snow closing.

I moved to Painesville Ohio and I new snowed up but boy does snow up buy the lake.

Is wisconsin any better?? Lost on that one.

Were do live now and why way up there and I been there before and they get lots of snow too.

I moved here closer to my brother and had to mini strokes and trying to get disability and lost my job of 12 years but I am doing better and exercise and few pills I take.

I like to know wht in cleveland that is any good that cannot find any where else.

Jobs suck up here
weather bad
Taxes our bad
Spoorts team not that good
Crime is high in cleveland
and leaders in cleveland don't do anything
just promise pip dreams
Tons of Snow closing days

Look at Pittsburg PA see what they did to there city.

Cleveland has a lot of work to do and I know cleveland hurting in the money Dept.

I am Kind of new to Ohio used to live here when I was 15 yrs old in Garfield hieght and I here all of them our not to very well due to all the indrstry laying off or is gone.

Look at all blight in cleveland and foreclosures and Etc.

O well
Food for thought.
Michael75065@Yahoo.com
Email me if you like.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 AM

61 posts, read 170,020 times
I'm confused. How did this thread turn to thoughts about Cleveland/Ohio? Just wanted to put a little note, as it's sort of confusing to realize the last few posts weren't about Wisconsin.

Although I wrote about CO above - so my apologies if I inadvertently moved the thread off task!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:28 AM

1,290 posts, read 3,484,275 times
Why am I still wearing a big jacket in mid-April?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or