Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 07:53 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times

Advertisements

FYI, it’s not a ‘college’- it’s the University of WI- Madison. A much bigger fish, with global level research happening there. That, combined with the Mad-city being home of the state government explains a big part of why Madison (and Dane county) is how it is. While the economy is very strong in Dane County, the lack of fortune 500 companies and overall supply of entry level college grads keeps salaries a bit lower. Congrats on having something lined up already, that is good news.

Where to live may boil down to your lifestyle and willingness to pay a little more to avoid car trips when you are not working in Fitchburg. Yes, there are twenty-somethings living in that part of Madison in apartments but the action for your demographic is still focused on downtown and near campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 08:26 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I moved to Madison after I finished undergrad (in New England), so I was what, 22? I spent my 20s there and found it to be a great place to live for a person in their 20s. I would pay more to live in the downtown area. My favorite apartment was actually on Blount. Great area to live in. I did go to grad school at the end of my 20s there, but it isn't why I moved there. I moved there because it is a great and very affordable place to live.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:32 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skibumm View Post
I actually went to UW-Milwaukee so I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Madison. That was in college though, which is why I’m concerned with how much the college is part of what makes they city what it is. As for jobs I’d be working near Nine Springs Golf Course. I have a job lined up, but don’t know how the market is overall if I end up changing jobs in the distant future, etc. As far as apartments I was looking at The Vue, Swan Creek or Capitol’s Edge. I think I’d like to live downtown but rent is about $1-200 more per month so it’s hard to justify. Any suggestions for places to check out?

I forgot to mention a couple more things (sorry, was getting bumped on train).

You should be leveraging your social media contacts (especially Linkedin) regarding the job situation in Madison for your industry. Ditto for finding places to live. Without a doubt if you are in the Cities now (or w/ ties to UW-Milwaukee), *someone* in your network of friends/contacts will know someone in Madison, etc.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:51 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
Don't forget that if you decide to rent a place downtown, that there will likely be an additional parking charge on top of your rent, and that may not even be for a covered/garage space.

Downtown can be fun, but is easy to visit too. There are some nice newer apartments near Fish Hatchery and Lacy Road / Cheryl Parkway like Swan Creek on your list. There are also may be some good options near Fish Hatchery and McKee (PD) / Cahill Main (The Landmark), and you could walk or bike to work easily, plus to some restaurants and the grocery store.

Of your options, the Vue on Post Road is probably the least desirable location. A few blocks south down Fish Hatchery can make quite a bit of difference. Swan Creek is probably the nicest option of two Fitchburg options you've listed. Not sure how pricing or amenities compare in all of these as I've been out of the renting game for awhile. I will say that an additional $1,200 to $2,400 per year can certainly help to boost retirement savings or pay off student loan debt.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:14 AM

17 posts, read 16,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Don't forget that if you decide to rent a place downtown, that there will likely be an additional parking charge on top of your rent, and that may not even be for a covered/garage space.

Downtown can be fun, but is easy to visit too. There are some nice newer apartments near Fish Hatchery and Lacy Road / Cheryl Parkway like Swan Creek on your list. There are also may be some good options near Fish Hatchery and McKee (PD) / Cahill Main (The Landmark), and you could walk or bike to work easily, plus to some restaurants and the grocery store.

Of your options, the Vue on Post Road is probably the least desirable location. A few blocks south down Fish Hatchery can make quite a bit of difference. Swan Creek is probably the nicest option of two Fitchburg options you've listed. Not sure how pricing or amenities compare in all of these as I've been out of the renting game for awhile. I will say that an additional $1,200 to $2,400 per year can certainly help to boost retirement savings or pay off student loan debt.
Oh yeah I have that figured in too. Still trying to decide if it makes sense to come back to Madison. I informed my employer I want to move to Madison or Minneapolis so maybe they’ll make the decision for me. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Thoughts on the Avante apartment buildings?

Old 06-21-2018, 08:55 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skibumm View Post
Thoughts on the Avante apartment buildings?
If that's the one on the corner of Lakeside and John Nolan Drive (not sure if this is their HQ or an apartment building), it's a bit of a toss-up. Despite being by the lake and near downtown, not the best neighborhood overall, but not the worst. John Nolan is a major commuting route for folks to/from downtown, so expect quite a bit of noise at most hours. If you like fishing and biking, it's very close to some excellent spots, including the bike trail that takes you to the downtown area. Park Street is in close proximity and has some good local restaurants. Getting down to Fitchburg should be pretty easy from here, although you'll need to potentially turn left against traffic commuting in to Madison, and you'll need to cross Hwy 12 each day, which may provide for some traffic back-ups from time to time, especially if there's a major event at the Alliant Energy Center.

I believe that Avante Riva and Prima apartments are in Southeast Fitchburg, near the roundabout on Lacy Road and Cheryl Parkway, getting closer to Hwy 14 and Oregon. This area should be safe, and is being built up with residential, and is becoming a nicer area. Not a lot of retail or shopping, but that's pretty easy to do find along Fish Hatchery road, or up at the South Town Super Walmart. I hear there are plans to put in more retail along Lacy Road in this area, but not sure when it will materialize. Very close to the Capital Springs State Recreation Areas, for biking trails, fishing and the like.

Last edited by Ragnar; 06-21-2018 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-21-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
If that's the one on the corner of Lakeside and John Nolan Drive (not sure if this is their HQ or an apartment building), it's a bit of a toss-up. Despite being by the lake and near downtown, not the best neighborhood overall, but not the worst. John Nolan is a major commuting route for folks to/from downtown, so expect quite a bit of noise at most hours. If you like fishing and biking, it's very close to some excellent spots, including the bike trail that takes you to the downtown area. Park Street is in close proximity and has some good local restaurants. Getting down to Fitchburg should be pretty easy from here, although you'll need to potentially turn left against traffic commuting in to Madison, and you'll need to cross Hwy 12 each day, which may provide for some traffic back-ups from time to time, especially if there's a major event at the Alliant Energy Center.

I believe that Avante Riva and Prima apartments are in Southeast Fitchburg, near the roundabout on Lacy Road and Cheryl Parkway, getting closer to Hwy 14 and Oregon. This area should be safe, and is being built up with residential, and is becoming a nicer area. Not a lot of retail or shopping, but that's pretty easy to do find along Fish Hatchery road, or up at the South Town Super Walmart. I hear there are plans to put in more retail along Lacy Road in this area, but not sure when it will materialize. Very close to the Capital Springs State Recreation Areas, for biking trails, fishing and the like.
Riva is at 5150 EAST CHERYL PARKWAY, FITCHBURG, WI 53711, US....it’s about 6 minutes from where I work. Just not sure if it’s a safe area.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:01 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
OP, perhaps give the Fitchburg PD office a call, letting them know you are new here and wanted to see if that location was in a lower crime area.

Seems to me the further away from the beltline the better, but keep in mind one should be vigilant regardless of their zip code these days. Do not leave stuff in your car, don't walk alone in the middle of the night, and so on. Thefts from cars and of the cars themselves is on a rise all over the area (usually teens), and I dont mean just in Madison. Some common sense can go a long way, just be aware of your surroundings no matter where you may be.

And as you are looking at a rental, if it appears overall to be good for you its still just a 1 year lease. That year can go by quickly, and will also give you time to learn more of the area to see if it is where you want to be long term or if another spot in the Madison area would be better. But if it does work out, Madison is a small city and (not counting beltline rush hour traffic lol) easy to get around for shopping, eating, entertainment and recreation so all of that can fall into place for you.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:29 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I wouldn't want to live there. Not because of crime, but lack of neighborhood. Why live all the way out there. IMO, saving some time to get to work isn't worth living in a place without a neighborhood/community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison