U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 03:42 PM

17 posts, read 6,636 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Iím a single 26 year old mail who works in accounting and Iím considering moving to Madison. I currently live in a small city in Minnesota and would like to get closer to my family. From what I know Madison is a huge college town....how does that impact living there as a young professional? Are there a lot of things to do outside of stuff the university is involved in? Also, what are your thoughts on the Fitchburg area for someone my age? Whatís the dating scene like? Any other opinions or suggestions to help me in my decision to come to Madison or not? If I donít end up moving to Madison Iím likely going to Chicago. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 04:43 PM

4,741 posts, read 7,533,583 times
Waiting to hear what kind of response you get. My daughter's husband just got a degree in Accounting and they are considering a move to Madison, Wisconsin. (My son-in-law is a Wisconsin native and has family there.)

Old 06-04-2018, 01:50 PM

3,805 posts, read 8,506,316 times
Hi OP, i'll defer to others on possible job options for your specialty; assuming the normal employment sites are being looked at for openings as well.

Madison can have a lot to offer, regardless of one's age, especially if you are not moving here from a large metro being used to certain things that may or may not be here. All depends on on what you like to do......
You didn't mention where family was, but depending on where they are you can find nice living options in areas of Madison as well as its burbs. Again depending on what makes the most sense for work, etc.

Now i will say, Fitchburg can be dicey to live in. There are areas that are just not that safe, crime really jumping in the past few years. Of course higher crime can lead to lower rents so keep that in mind, but i would first suggest looking into jobs and general areas and then pick spots for possible living. After all, Madison itself is not a large city and depending on time of day not bad to cross or get around.

Lastly, spend a long weekend here to see what you like and dont like; the internet forums can be great for basic data and opinions to help, but nothing like seeing it in person.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:00 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,909,619 times
I will add that not all of Fitchburg is dicey. There are certainly some nice and newer parts generally the further south you go, but as Ranger17 said, the rent should generally track with this. Lower rent generally means less desirable parts. Fitchburg is weird in that it's not really it's own city. It has no city center like other smaller towns surrounding Madison like Verona, Middleton, Oregon, etc.

Fitchburg shares schools with Madison, Oregon or Verona, depending on location. The parts of Fitchburg that are zoned to Oregon are generally the most desirable, furthest South and most rural-feeling. Zoned to Verona can be hit (most areas off of Mckee Road/PD are fine) or miss (Verona Road corridor south of Hwy 12 and Williamsburg Way areas are not that great). Zoned to Madison is generally less desirable (around Seminole Hwy, Hwy 12 and Fish Hatchery Road south of Hwy 12)

Parts of Fitchburg may share a zip code with parts of Madison, Oregon or Verona, so it can be a bit confusing. If you are looking at particular housing options, feel free to share them here and we can offer opinions of the areas you are considering. Good advice above to come visit and check out various parts of the Madison area.

I will also add that Fitchburg generally isn't the best choice if your employment will be on the north side of Madison or to the far east or west. In those cases, places like Sun Prairie, Middleton or Madison proper may be better options. Hwy 12 may not look like much, but driving it every day during rush hour would truly stink, especially in the winter months.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:04 AM

Yeah i should clarify a bit, as while Fitchburg "can" have some bad areas there are others that are not. We do have friends in the better neighborhoods who have been there for years and have no issues.
Seems the closer one gets to the beltline/hwy 12 (some of which is probably in the Town of Madison) the worse it can be, not to mention areas near Verona Rd/18-151. There are some genuinely tough neighborhoods; just a matter of avoiding them (or being nearby in my opinion).

So if one does their homework, especially if looking into rental options; they should be able to find a spot that is safe and works for them. And to be honest, living in Madison or any other area should mean being diligent when out and about.

And as Ragnar attested to, driving the beltline can be bad. Delays and backups can be a daily occurrence. My wife has dealt with it for years; can't always believe some map program when it says drive time via that roadway is just "x" minutes from point A to B lol.......

Old 06-06-2018, 05:54 PM

Thank you all! Is what do you think of Madison in terms of a city for a young professional?

Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 PM

As it has been a few decades since Iíve been a young anything lol I am sure Madison now is much different than Madison of the 80ís. If it is good for you will depend on your likes and dislikes; from recreation to weather to food/bars. Again the easiest answer is for you to spend a couple/few days here to get a feel for it. Now we could possibly make suggestions on things to check out if we had an idea on what you like to do; but i can say from the lakes to the farmers market to State St and all things between I would assume something here would grab your attn.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:00 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skibumm View Post
Thank you all! Is what do you think of Madison in terms of a city for a young professional?

If you like smaller cities, I think it is hard to beat.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:12 PM

2,767 posts, read 1,494,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skibumm View Post
There will be more accounting jobs in Chicago. OTOH If you can figure out how to get your foot in the door in Madison however, the quality of life is excellent.

Last edited by damba; 06-07-2018 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Sp error

Old 06-07-2018, 08:25 PM

I actually went to UW-Milwaukee so I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Madison. That was in college though, which is why I’m concerned with how much the college is part of what makes they city what it is. As for jobs I’d be working near Nine Springs Golf Course. I have a job lined up, but don’t know how the market is overall if I end up changing jobs in the distant future, etc. As far as apartments I was looking at The Vue, Swan Creek or Capitol’s Edge. I think I’d like to live downtown but rent is about $1-200 more per month so it’s hard to justify. Any suggestions for places to check out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or