Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,244 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the title. The forum script was making me change the name and my fat thumbs accidentally submitted in the midst of reworking it...

But now that we’re past that, here’s the meat and potatoes:

I’m casually familiar with Madison on a visitors level. I’ve been up many a time for shows and recreation, but haven’t familiarized myself with the nuances of the neighborhoods outside of downtown. Im currently doing as much internet research as I can, but I have some situation specific questions that would be very helpful to me if answered.

But first, a little bit about me:

I’ll be moving to Madison in late Spring next year. I’ll be working at UW Health and would like to bike to work if possible. I have a handful of bikes that would facilitate this year round.

I’m likely looking to purchase a home in West Madison or one of the surrounding communities. I spent my formative years splitting time between the city of Chicago and the northern burbs. I’m at home in a more urban environment, appreciating the access to amenities that provides (we’re big into live music and food), enjoying the socializing it allows between individuals, and have no concerns about heterogeneity in the population regarding social, economic, or cultural spheres. If I’m not going to be directly in a city, I’ve always preferred a community that has a nice little downtown or Main Street area to coalesce around.

On the other hand, I’m a pretty outdoorsy guy and like having quick access to those activities. Meaning biking, kayaking, hiking, etc. Although I imagine a drive to Devil’s Lake or Kettle Moraine isn’t going for to be impacted regardless of the community I’m living in or around Madison.

My wife and I are a relatively young mid-30s couple that likes to get out when we can and enjoy our community. We’re active and outgoing, and would love to find a neighborhood that supports that. Our kids would want a place where friends are accessible and bike trails abound.

The areas from Regent to Hill Farms and up to Middleton have received most of our attention due to proximity and character, but I’m open to living out of town for the right trade offs.

I see Waunakee as having a lot of newer homes, well maintained, with relatively large lots and lower taxes than Madison proper. Is that too far out for a reasonable bike-able commute? Also, having a little space from our neighbors after a decade and a half of living on top of others is appealing.

I have two middle schoolers one of which requires assistance with dyslexia. Both are extremely intelligent and are receiving gifted education as offered by our current district. I’d like that to continue. Is that something easily accessible to MSDD students or easier to find in suburban schools? We understand that test scores are not truly reflective of a school’s academic policies but more often a result of family finances, study priorities, parental availability and to some extent cultural norms that are reflected in standardized testing. So we’re sure they’ll be fine wherever they go, but having better functioning administrators is always appreciated.

Fiber internet. I’ve been lucky enough to have Verizon FIOS gigabit Internet the past two years, and I’m not sure I can go back. I’m not into TV so cable/dish isn’t really a concern, but Internet speeds are a must.

Pricing is flexible. I’m able to go to the upper $400Ks low $500Ks for a home but I’d be more comfortable in the mid to upper $300Ks.

What do I need to know about Madison that most new transplants don’t know coming in, and what are some things that would be good to know based on what superficial background information I shared? What do you absolutely love about Madison? What could you do without?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 09:25 PM

14 posts, read 21,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melba-Toast View Post
Sorry for the title. The forum script was making me change the name and my fat thumbs accidentally submitted in the midst of reworking it...

But now that we’re past that, here’s the meat and potatoes:

I’m casually familiar with Madison on a visitors level. I’ve been up many a time for shows and recreation, but haven’t familiarized myself with the nuances of the neighborhoods outside of downtown. Im currently doing as much internet research as I can, but I have some situation specific questions that would be very helpful to me if answered.

But first, a little bit about me:

I’ll be moving to Madison in late Spring next year. I’ll be working at UW Health and would like to bike to work if possible. I have a handful of bikes that would facilitate this year round.

I’m likely looking to purchase a home in West Madison or one of the surrounding communities. I spent my formative years splitting time between the city of Chicago and the northern burbs. I’m at home in a more urban environment, appreciating the access to amenities that provides (we’re big into live music and food), enjoying the socializing it allows between individuals, and have no concerns about heterogeneity in the population regarding social, economic, or cultural spheres. If I’m not going to be directly in a city, I’ve always preferred a community that has a nice little downtown or Main Street area to coalesce around.

On the other hand, I’m a pretty outdoorsy guy and like having quick access to those activities. Meaning biking, kayaking, hiking, etc. Although I imagine a drive to Devil’s Lake or Kettle Moraine isn’t going for to be impacted regardless of the community I’m living in or around Madison.

My wife and I are a relatively young mid-30s couple that likes to get out when we can and enjoy our community. We’re active and outgoing, and would love to find a neighborhood that supports that. Our kids would want a place where friends are accessible and bike trails abound.

The areas from Regent to Hill Farms and up to Middleton have received most of our attention due to proximity and character, but I’m open to living out of town for the right trade offs.

I see Waunakee as having a lot of newer homes, well maintained, with relatively large lots and lower taxes than Madison proper. Is that too far out for a reasonable bike-able commute? Also, having a little space from our neighbors after a decade and a half of living on top of others is appealing.

I have two middle schoolers one of which requires assistance with dyslexia. Both are extremely intelligent and are receiving gifted education as offered by our current district. I’d like that to continue. Is that something easily accessible to MSDD students or easier to find in suburban schools? We understand that test scores are not truly reflective of a school’s academic policies but more often a result of family finances, study priorities, parental availability and to some extent cultural norms that are reflected in standardized testing. So we’re sure they’ll be fine wherever they go, but having better functioning administrators is always appreciated.

Fiber internet. I’ve been lucky enough to have Verizon FIOS gigabit Internet the past two years, and I’m not sure I can go back. I’m not into TV so cable/dish isn’t really a concern, but Internet speeds are a must.

Pricing is flexible. I’m able to go to the upper $400Ks low $500Ks for a home but I’d be more comfortable in the mid to upper $300Ks.

What do I need to know about Madison that most new transplants don’t know coming in, and what are some things that would be good to know based on what superficial background information I shared? What do you absolutely love about Madison? What could you do without?

Thanks in advance!!
Thanks for all the details. Though, by UW-Health do you mean UW Hospital and Clinics? If that is the case, I would have said that Monroe Street Area would fit your bill in terms of price, bikable to work, price range and nice commercial area to walk to. It even has Lake Wingra in the neighborhood where you can do kayaking. But the lot sizes are relatively small and the housing stock, although much character, is older than you seem to want.

Given your requirements, I think Middleton would be a pretty good bet if you can find housing (because it is a desirable location and houses sell fast). It has a nice downtown with small stores and excellent restaurants, fairly bikable to work, and the school district is top notch with a great special needs program. Taxes are lower because the City has an industrial park on the fringe that contributes to the tax base and lowers the contribution for residences. Though of course, you always pay higher taxes if you are in a house that has higher values and much of Middleton is more expensive but there are neighborhoods around the high school and middle school that are less expensive. Much of Middleton also has Fibernet (TDS). You are also closer in terms of access to Devil's Lake than other parts of Madison.

Waunakee would be a challenging commute as far as distance goes and I'm not sure about bike trails that lead into Madison. Maybe someone else could comment on that.

I would check out the Village of Shorewood Hills which is very close to UW Hospital and the University although the houses are pretty expensive there (professors and physicians) but sometimes you can find a house at the top of your range.

As far as heterogeneity, you might be disappointed compared to Chicago. Yes, there are different ethnicities in Madison but overall, it's pretty caucasian especially in the burbs and even downtown.

Best of luck and enjoy the Madison area. It's a great place to raise a family and to live. I've lived most of my life there and will always have fond memories.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,244 times
I appreciate your reply and just for clarification, I’ll be working mostly at the main hospital. Middleton does seem to straddle the preferences we have and had been a consistent focus. Thanks for underscoring some benefits of the locale.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:21 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
It’s a really nice bike ride from Middleton to UW Hospitals. When I lived there I would regularly ride the 5+ miles to campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison