Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 03:10 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,756,265 times

Advertisements

Of course Madison is known for its liberalism. Mostly because of the Univ. influence I assume. Is there a conservative Madison that we never hear about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 03:22 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,402,968 times
Without looking up specific examples, I'm remembering that around a third of Dane County typically votes for the Republican candidate in most elections, so I'd say there is a significant conservative minority in the area. Not sure how that breaks down between city and county though. As a regional education and employment center, Madison continually draws many different kinds of people from all around Wisconsin, the Midwest region and even nationally and internationally.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:29 PM

512 posts, read 467,906 times
In general, Madison is very liberal (Obama and Hillary won almost 80 percent of the city's vote), with the isthmus being the most liberal part of the city and the outer edges of the city being the most conservative parts of the city (but the most Republican precinct is on the UW-Madison campus). However, Trump only won two precincts countywide, meaning even the more conservative parts of the Dane County lean Democrat. Verona went 65 percent for Hillary, Fitchburg at 70 percent, and Middleton at 73 percent, etc., but you wouldn't even guess, and most Madison suburbanites and rural people (liberals, conservatives, moderates, etc.) tend to be moderates from my experience. However, from my experience, when you go to the suburbs and exurbs you wouldn't even guess the political leanings of people living there, so you'll be fine being a conservative in the Madison area (I know of plenty), but Madison-proper can be somewhat politically stressful for conservatives. Here's a precinct map below from the 2016 presidential election:

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2amt7bt][/IMG]

Last edited by InnovativeAmerican; 08-22-2018 at 07:41 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 08:50 PM

346 posts, read 459,040 times
The Argus, maybe?

Old 08-24-2018, 05:11 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,192,808 times
Nope. Not really since the mid-90s.

When I left in ‘94 Scott Klug, a moderate repub congressman, represented Dane County. The board was led by a republican and Tommy Thompson (moderate repub) got a lot of votes in Dane to help be re-elected as governor.

These are not ‘deep south’ repubs, which is why they could easily get elected in the Madison area at that time.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:54 PM

23,060 posts, read 28,770,326 times
Ever Google Most Conservative Cities in the U.S.? Lots of surprises to be found!

I recall the day when they even had a Hippy mayor in the 1970's. I believe every city has a conservative section somewhere.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:59 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,750,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Of course Madison is known for its liberalism. Mostly because of the Univ. influence I assume. Is there a conservative Madison that we never hear about?
The Wisconsin State Journal actually looked into this a few years ago. Supposedly the most "conservative" neighborhood in the city of Madison is Hawks Landing. But even there Democrats still have a majority. I'd say the answer is basically nowhere - Dane County is only getting bluer.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ever Google Most Conservative Cities in the U.S.? Lots of surprises to be found!

I recall the day when they even had a Hippy mayor in the 1970's. I believe every city has a conservative section somewhere.
You missed the party. That ‘hippy’ has been mayor more recently- and still is(!)

Old 08-25-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The Wisconsin State Journal actually looked into this a few years ago. Supposedly the most "conservative" neighborhood in the city of Madison is Hawks Landing. But even there Democrats still have a majority. I'd say the answer is basically nowhere - Dane County is only getting bluer.
Of course Hawk’s Landing will vote GOP. It’s a new housing development surrounding a golf course/country club. Those folks won’t be living above State St.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:51 AM

4,541 posts, read 2,750,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Of course Hawk’s Landing will vote GOP. It’s a new housing development surrounding a golf course/country club. Those folks won’t be living above State St.
True, but Dems still got more than 50% there a few years ago. Wouldn't be suprised it's even more now considering Hillary outperformed Obama in these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison