U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 01:09 PM

37 posts, read 46,829 times

Advertisements

This is all great stuff! I have a question about the winters.. obviously, I know it is colder there than here, however, are there certain areas that get less snow than others? For instance, would the Madison area get more or less than towards Milwaukee or Green Bay & vice versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 01:24 PM

32,903 posts, read 22,854,076 times
Of course weather varies, but there is no shortage of online information on weather out there.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:05 PM

2,806 posts, read 1,537,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz1178 View Post
We are planning a small trip in October to check out the areas of Madison (including Middleton and Fitchburg), Milwaukee areas of Brookfield & Whitefish Bay, Mequon, Cedarburg, Green Bay, Appleton, and Shawano.

I would start by throwing Shawano out right now. Too dumpy IMHO compared to the other choices you are looking at.

In some of your earlier threads (in previous years), I was surprised to not see any follow up whether or not you had a chance to visit/give feedback on what you liked in those other areas of the country(?)

Old 09-12-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Of course weather varies, but there is no shortage of online information on weather out there.
I've searched a little, mostly on weather.com, but was hoping locals could paint a better picture. If you know of another site that I can check out, I'd appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I would start by throwing Shawano out right now. Too dumpy IMHO compared to the other choices you are looking at.
Thanks for the info! I was thinking about it due to seeing it mentioned on a "Best Places" list. For the other areas, they're no longer of interest as that was years ago.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:27 PM

2,806 posts, read 1,537,054 times
Quote:
I've searched a little, mostly on weather.com, but was hoping locals could paint a better picture. If you know of another site that I can check out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking about it due to seeing it mentioned on a "Best Places" list. For the other areas, they're no longer of interest as that was years ago.
With the COL being approx. 20% higher around Madison and Milwaukee, I am surprised you would move before securing jobs. The difference in housing costs in some of the areas you’ve listed (esp. property taxes) vs NW Arkansas would concern me.

FWIW, the ‘snowbelt’ is way up north in the proximity of Hurley in northern WI. Milwaukee, Madison and Green Bay rarely compare.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:31 AM
sub

514 posts, read 268,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
My Wisco Top 10:

1.Summer's in Wisconsin are fantastic, nice weather not too hot not too cold and with two huge lakes there's plenty of variance of weather.
2. Fall in Wisconsin is again fantastic, we have a ton of great hiking trails and areas with nice hills and lakes make for a Rockwell type of image.
3. The People, I have traveled all over the country and lived many different places but I feel no matter where you are in the state the people are friendly and welcoming. Louisiana is another place where I found the people to be bend over nice to you as a stranger.

4. Clean, our state is clean. I like how we do roads, sidewalks medians and general up keep of towns and cities. Even Areas of the hood in Milwaukee are nowhere as filthy as say Philly or Memphis.

5. Location, close to the Twin Cities, Chicago and two of the best Great Lakes. We have tons of beaches and shoreline.
6. Parks, we just seem to have a ton of parks and nature areas. Now a lot of other states have us beat when it comes to National Parks but on the local level we do pretty good.

7. Sports, we have great sports teams Packer and Brewers, Badgers, Bucks and Marquette.

8. We have a lot of different options as far as schooling, UW Madison is about as good as it gets in the nation. Milwaukee not generally know as a college town has but with all the different tech colleges and private college's Milwaukee's student population is around 100,000 and is around 6th highest in terms of college students per 100 residents. You don't have to be in any of the big cities to go to college there are states schools all over the state.

9. Feel, I can't describe it other than Wisconsin just has a certain feel to it, maybe because it's home and I left and came back thinking the grass was greener everywhere else but to find out that I actually do really like it here.
10. Unique, Wisconsin is unique, with our history or food and our traditions and customs due to our pat heritage. Not a lot of transplants but enough. There are things found here that you won't find anywhere else, true same can be said for every other state except maybe boring Iowa or Nebraska but we have a nice diversity of things to do and see.

Look I grew up hating this state, then I moved ad traveled and spent some time away and now at 35 I come to really enjoy Wisconsin. We have 2 huge negatives, Weather and no striking natural beauty like you see out west but that doesn't mean we don't have views or nature areas we do but we are more forest land and gentle rolling fields and farm fields.
This pretty well sums it up for me, although the weather never seemed like a big deal and the state is pretty enough.
I grew up in Arkansas, and still can't bring myself to like it. Perhaps it's because I've lived in places like Wisconsin.

Milwaukee area would be my top choice. Lake Michigan is a huge selling point. Whitefish Bay is great, and there are lots of other places around there equally as good to consider as well.
Green Bay, Appleton, and all that surrounds them kinda remind me of how NWA is laid out. Several sizable towns strung together. Big enough to have most everything.
On average, I find Wisconsin cities to be vastly better built than anything in Arkansas. More thoughtfully laid out, and not just in the new or trendy areas.
I wouldn't worry too much about cost of living differences. Property taxes can be absurd, but there are a variety of housing prices and not every city is the same on taxes.
It's not perfect, and does have some quirks, which you might discover simply by driving through. I've lived in a of of different places though, and Wisconsin is among my favorites.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
With the COL being approx. 20% higher around Madison and Milwaukee, I am surprised you would move before securing jobs.

FWIW, the ‘snowbelt’ is way up north in the proximity of Hurley in northern WI. Milwaukee, Madison and Green Bay rarely compare.
We wouldn't move before securing employment. That's a definite. I'm following some Instagram pages around the Milwaukee and Madison areas to help get a feel for the area as well... and for when the winter pics begin popping up!

Thanks for the info

Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I grew up in Arkansas, and still can't bring myself to like it. Perhaps it's because I've lived in places like Wisconsin.

Green Bay, Appleton, and all that surrounds them kinda remind me of how NWA is laid out.
I was born and raised in NWA. Lived here my whole life except a few yrs in FL about 10 yrs ago. How long ago did you move from AR? I feel like it is growing way too fast and has been for the last few years.

Other places we've looked into in the past were due to my husband possibly getting relocated for work. This time, it's us choosing where we'd like to end up, have a small garden, some land for our future grand kids to run around on. And it feels like WI might fit the bill.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:37 PM

83 posts, read 39,682 times
Quote:
This is all great stuff! I have a question about the winters.. obviously, I know it is colder there than here, however, are there certain areas that get less snow than others? For instance, would the Madison area get more or less than towards Milwaukee or Green Bay & vice versa?
Average Annual Snowfall By City:

Madison, WI - 51"
Milwaukee, WI - 47"
Green Bay, WI - 51"
=============
Beloit, WI - 32" (lowest)
Hurley, WI - 165" (highest)

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...l-snowfall.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurley,_Wisconsin#Climate

Old 09-14-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott53051 View Post
Average Annual Snowfall By City:

Madison, WI - 51"
Milwaukee, WI - 47"
Green Bay, WI - 51"
=============
Beloit, WI - 32" (lowest)
Hurley, WI - 165" (highest)

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...l-snowfall.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurley,_Wisconsin#Climate
Thank you, that is helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison