Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 11:33 AM

78 posts, read 437,061 times

Advertisements

We love everything that we have seen about Madison and are making it a priority to learn as much as possible about it. It seems perfect, well, as close as we can get.

I have a few questions. I did a search for these questions and didn't find everything I was looking for, so I hope no one minds that I post these.

1.) Which are the best elem. schools? Best areas for a young family to live? (Affordable)
2.) How much is average for rent? I have searched on Craigslist and I have no idea of what is a good place vs. bad.
3.) Public Transport..is it any good?
4.) Childcare...does anyone have advice on the best places or places to avoid?

Thanks so much. I am so excited about the prospect of visiting/possibly relocating to Madison.

Any advice would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 12:21 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
1.) Which are the best elem. schools? Best areas for a young family to live? (Affordable)

I used to work for MMSD and I feel like John Muir is the best elementary hands down. I didn't work there, but I did my practicum there. Not sure what you consider affordable. It's on the far West side. Housing on the West side tends to cost more than the East.

2.) How much is average for rent? I have searched on Craigslist and I have no idea of what is a good place vs. bad.

It really depends on your standards and what you are looking for - house, townhouse, duplex, two bedroom, three bedroom... Privately owned, complex/management company, etc. MidwesternBookworm is the best one to ask about this and I'm sure she'll respond so I'll leave that to her.

In my humble opinion, no. It used to be great back in the 80's when I was a student, but at this point it takes forever to get any place because there are not only the scheduled stops, but you inevitably have to stop at one or more of the transfer hubs.

I know less about this as I don't have kids, but some names stand out to even the childless, however. Red Caboose on the near Eastside is supposed to be good and Bernie's Place on campus is also highly regarded. There used to be a place off of Monroe Street (near west side) that was well spoken of, but it may have gone out of business. It was not one of the nursery schools on Monroe Street, it was behind the Associated Bank. Anyone know the name and if it is still there? Might have been on West Lawn Ave.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:46 PM

22 posts, read 77,288 times
My son attended Glen Stephens on the west side. Also a very very good school. I used the daycare on the far east side that is associated with American Family Insurance mainly because I worked there at the time. Being a former Daycare director you really have to check these out yourself, check for violations with the state and do surprise visits (lunch and or nap time are usually good to see what is really happening)

Rents- can range from a low of $700 to as high as $1200. It just depends on what you want.

Madison Metro is very good. If you go to their website (you would have to google Madison Metro) you can put in a starting point and and an ending point and it will let you know which route to take and how many options there are.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:49 PM

18 posts, read 129,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
1There used to be a place off of Monroe Street (near west side) that was well spoken of, but it may have gone out of business. It was not one of the nursery schools on Monroe Street, it was behind the Associated Bank. Anyone know the name and if it is still there? Might have been on West Lawn Ave.
Yes, that was Sunrise school. They went out of business about 10 years ago. The building was purchased by the Young Shakespeare Company. They perform and practice there

Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 PM

50 posts, read 197,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusmom View Post
We love everything that we have seen about Madison and are making it a priority to learn as much as possible about it. It seems perfect, well, as close as we can get.

I have a few questions. I did a search for these questions and didn't find everything I was looking for, so I hope no one minds that I post these.

Thanks so much. I am so excited about the prospect of visiting/possibly relocating to Madison.

Any advice would be helpful.

1) Depending on what is closer to your work: BEST: Shorewood, Verona, Middleton. AFFORDABLE: Look at east-side Madison between the downtown and the airport, also check out the south of Midvale Blvd.
As far as I know all elem. schools in Madison are fine.
2) For a 2brm apt. I'd say it starts from $700 (not a very good one, but acceptable), to ~$900 (a good one), to ~1200 (a luxury one).
3) Better than for an average city. If you live on a bus line, you can use it, there are 90+ bus routes (or at least the route numbers run to 90+ ).
4) There are plenty. Some of them are pretty good. There is a Montessori school, our daughter goes to Kids Junction (a very good one, we like it), there are many others. There are probably bad child care providers, but I don't know any really bad one. It's cheaper than in Boston area and MUCH cheaper than in Bay area, I'd say it starts at about $800 for a full day/week care.

ONE REALLY GOOD THING ABOUT MADISON: It is completely (almost) covered by Google StreetView, so it might be useful to see the places you want to visit, rent, go to school etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison