Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:01 PM

395 posts, read 1,860,436 times

Advertisements

What is diversity? It's a word that gets thrown around a lot, but I don't think anyone really knows what it means. Does it mean a wide variety of different people living in the same city? If that's how you define it, then America has a lot of truly diverse cities: Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. These places are truly international, with just about every nationality represented in numbers large enough to constitute a "community."

By this definition of diversity, the most "diverse" place I've personally ever been is Queens, New York, where every subway or El stop is like a different country. I spent an entire day walking the streets of Queens, traversing South American neighborhoods and Indian bazaars, hanging out in parks hearing dozens of languages.

By that same definition Milwaukee is somewhat diverse, though not nearly as much as as place like Chicago or Los Angeles. This city has strong ethnic enclaves like Cesar Chavez Drive, Sicilians on the Lower East Side (yes, this still is Little Italy..) Serbs, Hmong, Jews in Sherman Park, African Americans, etc. But Milwaukee has no Chinatown, no identifiable Indian or Pakistani community, a pretty small and scattered Middle Eastern community (enough to support only one major mosque and community center), pockets of Russians scattered on the East Side/North Shore, relatively few Puerto Ricans.

But if we define diversity as a "melting pot," where people live and hang out side by side, with no boundaries between them, then even Queens is not "diverse," for people there inhabit distinct cultural spaces seperated by numerous invisible lines. I remember crossing the street from a Cuban neighborhood into an Indian neighborhood in Queens, and receiving numerous stares from those who wondered why I crossed that line from the "other" neighborhood.

Chicago, Milwaukee, New York, San Franscisco, and really all cities are made up of countless "invisible lines" where people are seperated by ethnicity and class. Indeed, the whole country is made up invisible lines, and we all tend to stay on "our" side of the line.

You might not think there are those "invisible lines" in Madison, but that's only because only 15% of the population is minority. This means that of the 200,000 people who live in Madison, about 30,000 are not white. By comparison, 300,000 people live in Milwaukee who are not white. Is it any wonder that Milwaukee is going to have numerous non-white enclaves with numerous "invisible lines" dividing them? When a Latino first arrives in Milwaukee, for instance, he or she is going to locate in a "village" where most people speak his or her language and share his or her culture. When a Latino first arrives in Madison, however, he does not find this "village," so locates where ever he can find a decent place to live.

Either way you define "diversity," I will never be able to call a town that is 85% white, and mostly middle class, "diverse."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 01:54 PM

5 posts, read 28,787 times
Thank you all for your input and opinions. In response to the 21st century comment while i appreciate that this is your view. Our reality whether it has been in a middle upperclass "white" town or the projects of Newark has been. The first thing I am asked is "What is she?" my response instinctivly has been "my daughter". I cant even tell you how many times people have then gone on recite a laundry list of nationalities she might be and then have the nerve to show disappointment when I tell them. I like the idea of a small close knit community I fully realize the she will eventually have to find her own way as far as identity (an issue only a multi / bi-racial person can truly understand) but I really want to give her the best start i possibly can.

That being said I am openly optimistic about madison and look forward to the opportunity to explore. Thank you all

Old 05-01-2008, 03:35 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theegusta View Post
I fully realize the she will eventually have to find her own way as far as identity (an issue only a multi / bi-racial person can truly understand) but I really want to give her the best start i possibly can.

That being said I am openly optimistic about madison and look forward to the opportunity to explore. Thank you all
My oldest grandson, who is bi-racial, was raised in a military family where being bi-racial is quite common. I remember, when he was in middle school, that he and several of his friends came up with their own designation to put in the blanks of forms where they ask you to put your race. I don't remember what it was now but, as I remember, it was something they picked up from a video game they all played. In any event, they used this designation through high school and college and got a good laugh from the confusion it caused. But I think your daughter will do just fine if she is raised with love and respect from and for both sides of her family. My grandson moves easily through both and is a very loved young man by both.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:55 AM

5 posts, read 28,787 times
LML,

I got such a laugh from your story. It reminded me of my friends who did the same thing. Although it was more on the lines of anime and martial arts, they even had one for me creating a minority of one LOL. I understand what you are saying about love and respect from both sides of the family. Unfortunately, long story short all she has is me. I am glad to hear you grandson is able to move seamlessly between and I strive to enable my daughter to do the same.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Well... as someone who lives in a place that is much more like Newark than like Madison... I'll add my opinion that Madison's so-called diversity is more of a contrivance than a reality. It's the kind of place that jumps up and down and says, "hey look! We have some minorities, and we're even nice to them! We have ethnic restaurants too! Look how diverse we are!" and then pats itself on the back. But hey, at least they're trying. It's not like they can force more minorities to move there to achieve some sort of racially balanced utopia or anything.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:37 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Integration and diversity are two different things is my two cents to this thread. There are a handful of places that seem to do best with integration in my well traveled experience domestically. Wish I could say there have been more than that.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:54 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post

You might not think there are those "invisible lines" in Madison, but that's only because only 15% of the population is minority. This means that of the 200,000 people who live in Madison, about 30,000 are not white. By comparison, 300,000 people live in Milwaukee who are not white. Is it any wonder that Milwaukee is going to have numerous non-white enclaves with numerous "invisible lines" dividing them? When a Latino first arrives in Milwaukee, for instance, he or she is going to locate in a "village" where most people speak his or her language and share his or her culture. When a Latino first arrives in Madison, however, he does not find this "village," so locates where ever he can find a decent place to live.

Either way you define "diversity," I will never be able to call a town that is 85% white, and mostly middle class, "diverse."
This is one of the many reasons why I am looking forward to hopefully move to Madison next year (if accepted into grad program).

As a native-born midwestern suburban white person, I have no use for "native villages and ethnic enclaves."

I'm only interested in having some neighbors of different backgrounds, a welcoming and accepting environment for everyone, and a selection of good ethnic restaurants.

In the Chicago area, you have to almost study and figure out with a map and peoples suggestions where the places are where you will find that you have in common with.

In Madison, I won't have to do that. I understand if you are minority and you need your "village" I understand that, but I personally have little use for Chicago's Chinatown, Devon Ave., etc, Pilsen, etc.

Please understand I not offending one, I am very happy for any immigrants who come here looking for immigrants looking for opportunity. Welcome. I just personally have no use for these places. I only need a couple Indian, Thai, Mexican, etc. restaurants and a few people from those countries and I'm good.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:36 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Please understand I not offending one, I am very happy for any immigrants who come here looking for immigrants looking for opportunity. Welcome. I just personally have no use for these places. I only need a couple Indian, Thai, Mexican, etc. restaurants and a few people from those countries and I'm good.
From a utilitarian perspective, it's not a bad idea to have a few ethnic enclaves around, just so that the staff at your favorite ethnic restaurants don't get too bored and lose their ethnic heritage. The presence of ethnic enclaves also helps provide customers to your favorite places, so some level of authenticity can be maintained. But if you're not too picky, it probably isn't that important--hence "Mexican" restaurants that serve "deep-fried ice cream" and "Greek" restaurants that serve "souvlaki burgers with fries."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison