U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:36 AM

4 posts, read 6,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWCITY View Post
Barb I hate to burst your bubble but murders don't happen every neighborhood, there isn't gangs in every neighborhood, and you say many murders don't even hit the newspaper is false. I don't know if your living experience in Milwaukee had you living in Metcalf Park, but there are very wealthy areas of Milwaukee not suburbs. Plenty areas that are safe I think you do a disservice when you say that murders happen in every neighborhood and gangs are every where and not including all the same and very nice areas in Milwaukee. This post sounds like it comes from someone who goes to Manhattan and see homeless people and thinks there in a "scarey" part of town but doesn't relize in big cities you have extremes of wealth and poverty. The homeless guy could be sitting outside of trumps tower and you would be scared.
You didn't burst my bubble - I don't have one. You're living in one if you don't realize that the gangs truly ARE in every - no, to somewhat agree with you - MOST neighborhoods. I also agree that murders don't happen in every neighborhood, but they DO happen more than you know in the city as a whole.

I DISagree with the theory that wealth equals a safe environment. Not true. Mequon is a wealthy area overall, and they busted a heroin ring there after a couple of overdoses. Granted, the drugs orgininated in Milwaukee, but the point is that money doesn't stop the crime.

My post was not designed to start a debate with anyone....just to reflect my own experience with Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 02:54 PM

295 posts, read 148,102 times
MOST neighborhoods. I also agree that murders don't happen in every neighborhood, but they DO happen more than you know in the city as a whole.In 27 years of living in the "inner city" 5th ward or walkers point the only crime I've been a victim of was a stolen car last year. I'm more well informed that you think when it comes to crime in my city which is no longer on the top 25th most dangerous cities list. Anytime a murder happens in MKE it's reported so to say that many murders go unreported is false this isn't new york city with 600+ murders but Milw with anywhere from 86-120 a year same range as The twin cities. I keep up with crime in my neighborhood i use sites like MPD and Milwaukee compass crime stats

Crime Maps

I've had more crime problems in my four years living in Jefferson,wi with my house broken into once and ramshacked and my car stolen twice!!!!

Just curious what neighborhood did you have a terrible exp???

Old 09-14-2008, 03:13 PM

295 posts, read 148,102 times
I have lived in MKE for 26 years and the only crime I have been a victim of is one stolen car and graffiti on my garbage can and I live in the inner city the 5th ward. Murders are reported every single time there is one, this isn't new york city with 600+ murders it's Milwaukee which isn't even the 25 most dangerous cities. we have 80-120 murders a year with a population of 2,000,000. I keep myself informed with sites like compass or MPD crime stats so I'm aware of everything that goes on in my city having lived on the same side of the city for the last 26years. I'm curious what neighborhood did you live in that was so bad? I'm not debating you on the issue but telling you I have had no problems with crime while living here and I only know one other person who has had their car stolen. When I lived in Jefferson,wi(4 years) I had my car stolen twice and my house broken into and they stole everything!!! is jefferson worse than Milw no!! but one situation doesn't mean it happens to everyone in the city and everywhere all over the city. 90% percent of milwaukee crime happens on the north side of Milw and not all of the northside.

Crime Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison