Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:33 PM

10 posts, read 26,622 times

Advertisements

Nice one...I saw this one a while back...it's been on the market for nearly a year...but didn't know about the area...if I could try your patience just a little more...Any other areas where the houses aren't so on top of one another? I do like the price and sq footage of this for sure...only if something comes to mind off the top of your head--Doesn't even have to be within city limits, cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 05:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
If it doesn't have to be within city limits and you want more elbow room... I guess I'll have to go with Stoughton again.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:55 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
A lot of the houses in that price range are in the same neighborhood as the house Drover sent you the listing for. It isn't a great neighborhood, but you could certainly do worst. Lots of rental property.

Go to wisconsinhomes.com and plug in the listing numbers below.

This is on a very busy street, but looks cute:
MLS 1517058

Also a busy street, but cute:

I'm actually amazed to find houses in the price range you are looking for at all. I started to write you a response much like the one another poster did suggesting it wasn't possible in Dane County, but then deleted it because it sounded so negative. That said, I wouldn't buy in the neighborhoods that most of these houses are located in. Kind of scummy areas or as in the case of the two houses above on very busy streets so there would be lots of traffic noise.

I think Stoughton is probably your best bet.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 PM

10 posts, read 26,622 times
Good to hear your input about the neighborhoods...that's the kind of helpful info I was hoping for. I've been checking out Stoughton and am quite impressed with what I can see price-wise and spaciousness-wise. Any known downside to Stoughton you know of besides the schools may not be up to Madison par and thus values would also consequentially be lower....

nice.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:54 PM

The only other downside I can see to Stoughton is it's kind of boring. But that's nothing a 15-minute car trip to Madison can't fix.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:25 AM

361 posts, read 1,947,308 times
Problems with Stoughton: I have been to Stoughton a bunch of times and found it consistently dreary and depressing - but that could just be me (since I can't quite put my finger on it). Also, I didn't like the idea of having to drive into Madison on a winding 2-lane road in some of the nasty weather we get.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:00 PM

Well, I wouldn't call a highway with one broad sweeper around a lakeshore and a couple of 5-degree bends to be a "winding road," especially considering the OP lives in an area with mountain switchbacks that define the term "winding road" and make 51 look like something that could be navigated blindfolded. Not to mention the weather there is severe enough to close some roads for weeks, whereas in Wisconsin when there's a snowstorm the major roads are cleared off within a day. I think someone coming from the Rocky Mountains can handle a Wisconsin highway and a Wisconsin snowstorm.

And I'm not sure how you got the perception that Stoughton is "dreary and depressing." I actually find it to be kind of a cheerful place, especially in the summer. Boring, yes, especially when its downtown area has so much potential. But depressing... no. It's not like the place is crumbling into the ground or anything. Different eyes see different things I guess.

Last edited by Drover; 05-11-2008 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 07:29 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,308 times
Ah, good point - I forgot to take note of the OP's location. My mistake.

Yes, I can't quite put my finger on it - it LOOKS like a cute town, and does have a lot of potential. Just an impression I get, I guess.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:00 PM

I guess I know what you mean. I kind of get the same impression from Monroe. It's not like it's a bad place or it's bleeding population or anything... but just an odd sense that its best days are behind it.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:21 PM

18 posts, read 129,477 times
Hi -

I live in Madison and was a Realtor for a number of years so have some idea of what you're up against. Recently the prices of homes in the Madison area have been coming down. If you don't have anything to sell, you could command a better deal so don't limit yourself to looking at the homes in the range you're looking to pay.

Generally speaking, Madisonians have preference for West vs East. West and neighborhoods/suburbs west are preferred.

I think Stoughton has been growing lately, since the tornado in that area a few years ago. McFarland over Stoughton - then some of the areas between McFarland and Stoughton - then Stoughton.

I like your thought on Monona. There are good schools there - Monona Grove High School is highly regarded. It also has a pool, library, etc. Great community as a whole.

Another location you might consider Verona or Mount Horeb. Verona has always been great - the schools are super - including the choice for Charter schools at tax payer expense. The area is growing too because of EPIC (of course). Lots of opportunity out that way.

Mount Horeb will be less expensive than Verona - more on par with Stoughton prices.

Another town to consider Oregon. Good schools in Oregon. Growing town.

If you want Madison proper, there are smaller homes in great areas for the kind of money you're looking to pay. Also condos in the downtown area would be very nice.

Feel free to ask me other questions. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison