Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:15 AM

10 posts, read 26,612 times

Advertisements

Hi and thanks in advance...

Soon my wife & I will be re-locating to the Madison area as soon as our Denver, CO home sells.

We would love input from home-owners or people who know the area well: On a neighborhood level, where are the best places to buy (single family residence) in the $150 to $170k? What neighborhood areas are simply SMART to buy in…as in….desirable areas, good resale value, most likely will appreciate over the next few years, areas where people enjoy living, etc...

We like the look and feel of Monona and Middleton but perhaps those areas may be just a bit pricey...what other hidden or not well known desirable areas are there where "reasonable housing prices" still exist?

Also…what are the areas to “stay away from”?????

We do not have children so schools do not matter and we would prefer to not be so "urbanized" like in Atwood or Willy's St, but still close to areas like that and the Co-op, etc...

Thanks for any and all info!

Patrick & Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 03:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiofurn View Post
Hi and thanks in advance...

Soon my wife & I will be re-locating to the Madison area as soon as our Denver, CO home sells.

We would love input from home-owners or people who know the area well: On a neighborhood level, where are the best places to buy (single family residence) in the $150 to $170k?
Outside of Dane County, unless you want to live in a crumbling money pit or a phone booth. Perhaps you'd consider a townhouse?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:39 AM

40 posts, read 200,262 times
Welcome to Madison. How much square footage would you like? I know you said schools don't matter, but please keep in mind that homes in well thought of school districts generally appreciate faster than those in less sought after districts. Also, what part of Madison will you be working in?

Old 05-10-2008, 03:44 PM

Thanks for your reply...

Good point about good shools and apprecieation...

Presently we live in an 800 sq ft home w an unfinished basement so I know we need something larger...I would think 1000 - to 1200 would be fine.

I have a very sucessful home remodeling sole propritorship here in Denver and plan to do the same in Madison and surrounding areas.

Hope that helps...

Patrick

Old 05-10-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Outside of Dane County, unless you want to live in a crumbling money pit or a phone booth. Perhaps you'd consider a townhouse?
Not against a townhome if it fits and in a decent area...so nowhere in madison or surrounding areas can one find a decent home in a decent area for $150-170k? That is sad news...

Old 05-10-2008, 03:54 PM

$150K is the very bottom end for a 1000sqft house in Madison proper. You can probably find something that works but you will have to hunt rather diligently. IMO the place to get the most house for your money while still being pretty convenient to Madison is Stoughton.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
IMO the place to get the most house for your money while still being pretty convenient to Madison is Stoughton.
Thanks...BTW what is up w/ Stoughton anyway? I see lots of large decent looking homes for reasonable prices...Is there a foul smelling foundry or toxic waste dump nearby? Why are Madisonians not flocking to this veritable real estate bargin basement?

Old 05-10-2008, 04:05 PM

I have only heard through anecdotal tales and haven't really done any research to confirm... but it seems like Stoughton schools are not the best. There are some very very good schools in the Madison area, including in Madison proper, so maybe Stoughton just isn't attracting families the way other nearby places are.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the helpful info...

Old 05-10-2008, 04:22 PM

Here is a great little house that meets your criteria, in the city proper no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison