Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 07:06 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
Yet, Madison is still the most prosperous city in Wisconsin and the only city in the state that actually attracts global talent thanks to its higher than average job creation in fields like IT, biotech, healthcare, etc. Minneapolis also has a good economy despite its currently high crime rate. The leadership in these cities must be doing something right because they certainly have produced robust economies.
They were just lucky enough to have a major university in the city. POLs had nothing to do with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 08:12 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
LOL, Madison is very safe, especially compared to cities like Milwaukee and Detroit where I have lived. I couldn't imagine living in fear so much that I feel the need to bring a gun everywhere for protection.

Snowflakes need to "protect" themselves from the boogeyman. Haha.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:34 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
My older brother lived in the city of Madison (close to the East Towne Mall) for several years, prior to moving to a northern Madison suburb, Waunakee (whose motto is: "the ONLY Waunakee in the world").

He said he moved when he took his young son to the East Towne Mall, a few years ago, and while they were dining in the food court, a physical fight broke out at the table right next to them.

I remember he said the area towards the western outskirts by West Towne Mall, also declined. He indicated it had to do with drug sales and gangs, apparently. (on a side note, West Towne Mall has one of my favorite Barnes and Noble bookstores!).

Fast forward and he says there are reports of break-ins, even in his suburb community.

As far as the OP inquiring on carrying a gun, I reside in Milwaukee, but I spend almost equal time in Chicago! And i never have problems nor worry.

Don't let fear control you, man! That's no way for anyone to live!

Old 07-12-2021, 11:15 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
They were just lucky enough to have a major university in the city. POLs had nothing to do with that.
Thank you.

The University is a golden goose.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:36 PM

512 posts, read 473,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Thank you.

The University is a golden goose.
Who cares if the UW has had a lot to do with Madison's success? It still has a good economy regardless. Also, population growth often comes with a price, which is increased crime. Increased crime is unfortunately a symptom of the growing pains Madison is experiencing, not because of its "liberal" leadership. However, this doesn't make the city any less livable. I'd live in Madison if WI weren't such a backwards state, but I currently own a house in both Hudson and Minneapolis and am planning to sell both of my homes in a couple years to move to Georgia. The leadership in this state is beyond toxic. Good thing I'll still be a resident in 2022 to help vote Russian Ron out.

Last edited by InnovativeAmerican; 07-12-2021 at 03:44 PM..

Old 07-12-2021, 04:59 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Quote:
The claim was about the role of Madison's "leadership" in helping to develop the area's economy. That isn't just politicians, but also business leaders, local entrepreneurs, city boosters, civic organizations, publicists, lobbyists, university researchers, and more. They most certainly did have a role in developing the area's economy.

Of course, you're right to suggest that the very existence of a major university in Madison is itself a major (and core) asset, but that isn't sufficient. If it were, then other cities with major universities (Ann Arbor, East Lansing, South Bend, Iowa City, Lawrence, etc.) might have experienced parallel economic and population growth, but they didn't. This is because a variety of people in and outside of Madison did the work--starting years ago--to position the city as a dynamic place for new technologies and industries, and as a worthwhile place for people to live.

This has resulted in some big changes for Madison, however. It is no longer the city it was back in the 1970s and 1980s. Perhaps it used to be more akin to quieter college towns such as Missoula or Boulder, but now it is perhaps more comparable to Austin. Madison is becoming more of a full city beyond its college-town identity. It wasn't inevitable, but that's how it's shaped up.

(BTW, there were riots in Madison during the 1960s and 1970s, so it isn't like it was Mayberry back then. Less crime, for sure, but not perfect.)

An interesting thing about Madison during its economic and population boom: It has remained very politically progressive. That has been one of the selling points in attracting workers to the city. There aren't very many politically progressive and highly educated cities in the Midwest that are also experiencing an economic boom. Madison fills this role nicely, and people are responding.

All of this has resulted in more crime in Madison. It would have been surprising if it hadn't. Madison has been transforming from "chill college town" to a New Economy city. It happens; places change.

If you don't like the new Madison, or if you fear for your safety for some reason, feel free to visit some of Wisconsin's less liberal and "safer" cities. Eau Claire, for example, may be more appealing to your tastes.

Old 07-12-2021, 05:21 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Austin, also an oasis of the state, has grown so much as well. Madison now is maybe what Austin was 30 years ago, and indeed, I know two couples that are looking at that move to Madison as Austin has grown so huge.

Old 07-12-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
The claim was about the role of Madison's "leadership" in helping to develop the area's economy. That isn't just politicians, but also business leaders, local entrepreneurs, city boosters, civic organizations, publicists, lobbyists, university researchers, and more. They most certainly did have a role in developing the area's economy.

Of course, you're right to suggest that the very existence of a major university in Madison is itself a major (and core) asset, but that isn't sufficient. If it were, then other cities with major universities (Ann Arbor, East Lansing, South Bend, Iowa City, Lawrence, etc.) might have experienced parallel economic and population growth, but they didn't. This is because a variety of people in and outside of Madison did the work--starting years ago--to position the city as a dynamic place for new technologies and industries, and as a worthwhile place for people to live.

This has resulted in some big changes for Madison, however. It is no longer the city it was back in the 1970s and 1980s. Perhaps it used to be more akin to quieter college towns such as Missoula or Boulder, but now it is perhaps more comparable to Austin. Madison is becoming more of a full city beyond its college-town identity. It wasn't inevitable, but that's how it's shaped up.

(BTW, there were riots in Madison during the 1960s and 1970s, so it isn't like it was Mayberry back then. Less crime, for sure, but not perfect.)

An interesting thing about Madison during its economic and population boom: It has remained very politically progressive. That has been one of the selling points in attracting workers to the city. There aren't very many politically progressive and highly educated cities in the Midwest that are also experiencing an economic boom. Madison fills this role nicely, and people are responding.

All of this has resulted in more crime in Madison. It would have been surprising if it hadn't. Madison has been transforming from "chill college town" to a New Economy city. It happens; places change.

If you don't like the new Madison, or if you fear for your safety for some reason, feel free to visit some of Wisconsin's less liberal and "safer" cities. Eau Claire, for example, may be more appealing to your tastes.
Those "riots" served a real cultural purpose. I was there for most of them. Totally different thing.

Old 07-12-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Snowflakes need to "protect" themselves from the boogeyman. Haha.
Others agree exactly Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

"We chose Madison for a voluntary, lifestyle improvement move 5 years ago. Initially, we loved it. Clean, so much to do, everyone on bikes with endless paths throughout the city, lakes, and tons of cool community activities. Madison has big city resources with a smaller city feel. Unfortunately, the city has changed for the worst over the last two years. Crime has sky rocketed with visible drug issues, car theft, burglary, and shootings/gun fire (shots fired into bystander houses and moving vehicles) almost daily, often in broad daylight. Taxes are huge and increasingly for odd, pet project services. Traffic is insane and a new mid rise building seems to spring up daily. Over the top liberalism permeates everything with zero criminal accountability from judges, frivolous services for special interest groups, an incompetent and ineffective mayor. Downtown, formerly fun and inviting, is a no go zone due to violence, unchecked protesting and COVID or looting shuttered businesses. I live intown in a walkable community, but now have to think about safety when I go for a run, dog walk, or bike ride. Super sad, I would strongly discourage moving here.
Bella | Madison, WI"

Last edited by Yac; 07-13-2021 at 10:58 PM..

Old 07-12-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Those "riots" served a real cultural purpose. I was there for most of them. Totally different thing.
I doubt the criminals are part of the "new economy" unless you count drug dealing and thefts/assaults. Most of the new jobs choose to locate out in the suburbs. Way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison