Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:39 PM

11 posts, read 55,777 times

Advertisements

My husband might take a job with a company located in or near Verona, but we are thinking about living in Sun Prairie. Can anyone tell me what kind of commute he would be looking at, especially in the winter? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 01:33 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,812 times
just curious,why would you not live in Verona?I would guess that commute would be at least 45 miutes,if not more in bad traffic.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:06 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,060 times
You would pron. take 151 to I-90 south to the Beltline west back to 151 South...all in all this would be a commute on freeways until you exit the Beltline. If there is no traffic I am thinking 45 minutes...but if you have an accident or severe weather all bets would be off and well over an hour in those cases. Most people locally don't do cross county commutes like this since most areas are liveable and affordable, but it isn't because it would be shear hell to make the commute regularly.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:44 AM

9 posts, read 84,561 times
That commute would be a total drag. In winter, it could be really rough, but the Beltline can get backed up any time of the year.

Griping about Madison traffic would seem ridiculous to anyone from Southern CA or Chicago, or even Milwaukee for that matter, but this is a very long commute even with no traffic. If want to live outside Madison, there are places that are more convenient for this than SP. Better commutes would be Verona (obv.), Middleton, Cross Plains, Oregon, or McFarland, among others. Just curious--what's the reason for Sun Prairie?

Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 PM

11 posts, read 35,520 times
ya if you would like to keep your sanity i would say try fitchburg, verona, or even oregon, all compairable to sun prairie. sun prairies property taxes are also probably the highest in the area, although they are all high in dane county. you would even be closer if you lived in mt horeb. all better drives.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:57 PM

11 posts, read 55,777 times
My husband is used to a long, backed-up commute, since we live in the D.C. metro area, but of course we want to get away from that. The reason I feel more drawn to Sun Prairie is that is has all the conveniences that we would want close by, but still has a small town atmosphere. Not too big, but not too small, and not too far away from Madison. I like that it has an inexpensive taxi service, that also caters to students who need an unexpected ride to school. Cheap for students. I like all the amenities the town has to offer for a town of its size. I only know this from the short time we were there during the summer, and from doing some online research. I like that Sun Prairie has so many parks nearby, the aquatic center looks nice, and it has its own indoor ice arena, which would be nice for my son to get into hockey. Plus the skatepark (he skateboards). Sun Prairie just seems to offer so much for such a small town. Everything in the same area without having to go to another town for anything for the kids' activities. If anyone knows of other towns that offer as much, still somewhat small, with all the conveniences, and are as affordable, please tell me. I liked some of what I saw about Oregon, which of course is closer.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:27 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,298 times
I'm not sure Sun Prairie is the utopia you've been given the impression it is. It has the reputation for being rather bland and boring. You will end up trekking into Madison for most things, including kids activities, and you will have a long haul to the West side which has a lot to offer. East Madison is fine, I live here, but West Madison has more of the big city amenities you might miss.

I've also heard so-so things about their schools, second hand, but one source was a teacher in the district. He is new the the profession and very excited about the whole thing. He has been disappointed by the attitude of other staff, including the teachers of some of his relatives who live in SP.

Madison is generally recognized for having excellent schools and there are tons of extra curricular activities organized by the school district, the city and the county (obviously county level activities would be available in Sun Prairie as well, but most things happen in Madison, so again, you'd be hauling the kids into and around the city).

This is not a big city by any means and you can get a very small town feel depending on where you live. Some neighborhoods have more of a sense of community than others.

Are you thinking of renting or buying? What price range are you looking at?

Ironically, Verona is closer to the reality of what you were describing in terms of what you like about SP.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:49 PM

9 posts, read 35,385 times
Yes, I agree the trek from Sun Prairie to Verona would be 45 min at best. The beltline is unpredictable in back ups, the normal rush hour, but then odd times of the day for no reason.

The west side including Verona and Middleton are considered "richer" areas of Madison while Sun Prairie is on the "poorer side".

Just be careful, Verona school district does go into Madison and those areas are not good areas to live in. There is a wonderful Town of Verona too that is more rural with some great communities.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcitygirl View Post
Yes, I agree the trek from Sun Prairie to Verona would be 45 min at best. The beltline is unpredictable in back ups, the normal rush hour, but then odd times of the day for no reason.

The west side including Verona and Middleton are considered "richer" areas of Madison while Sun Prairie is on the "poorer side".

Just be careful, Verona school district does go into Madison and those areas are not good areas to live in. There is a wonderful Town of Verona too that is more rural with some great communities.

Calling Sun Prairie a "Poorer" community is a very brash generalization that I believe alot of people would take offense to.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:52 PM
stg

5 posts, read 28,179 times
Look at Fitchburg or Middleton. I would not send my kids to Sun Prairie or Madison schools (I moved out of Madison and my wife went to SP schools as she grew up there). Be care if you look in Fitchburg, some of that city goes to the Madison school district. Verona & Middleton has a very good school district and is closer to what it sounds you are looking for. McFarland also has hocky, is a small town and would require the trips into Madison. McFarland has a fine school district as well.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison