U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:26 AM

2 posts, read 57,731 times

Advertisements

Oh and PS...

Learn to drive in Australia before coming here and plan on buying a car here if you are staying for any long period of time. American cities (particularly in the midwest) are VERY car-centric. The cities here are structured quite differently than European/Australian cities (commercial districts are mostly built around the major highways in long 'belts', rather than being in 1 centralised location that you can walk to from your house...no concept of local shops like in Australia). They are built for the car and walking is not really an option for most travel. Madison isn't too bad cause of the student population in the downtown area but other Wisconsin cities (e.g. Green Bay) are terrible in this regard. American suburban sprawl is far worse than in Australia ... everything is incredibly spread out and inaccessible on foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 02:36 PM

13 posts, read 20,395 times
Well its nice to know that us Australians are considered a rare. Just wanted to touch base and say hello. Im a 32 year old Australian who has just moved to Milwaukee from Perth Western Australia. I have been here since November and im just getting used to this sub zero degree winters. I have moved here with my partner and currently chasing employment - visa sponsorship in the finance area. I am finding it difficult because its not a common thing here and it just getting frustrating. Im having to go back to Australia soon to then reapply for an F1 student visa. Im having to go to university just to stay in this country. I have been in the finance industry for 12 years so if you know anyone that wants to hire an experienced Aussie. Other than that, nice to know that there is a fellow Aussie here. Im living in the southside of downtown Milwaukee so its great not being far from the city. I do miss the warm weather and restaurants of Perth but other than that im fitting in well. Oh yeah and dont ask for a white coffee with two as they have no idea what the "white" refers to. lol.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:13 AM

36,599 posts, read 57,896,760 times
I'm curious... if you're looking for a job in finance, why did you move to Milwaukee? It's not exactly a renowned financial hub of the U.S. If you want to stay in the relative area, you're probably going to have much better luck looking in Chicago, which is one of the nation's major financial hubs. If you get work there, you can still be close to Milwaukee as there's a train that runs from Kenosha and will take you straight to Chicago's financial district.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:08 PM

15 posts, read 47,074 times
I'm fifteen, was born in madison and love it. i know i may not have credibility due to my age but this is my opinion. Ive spent long periods of time in other cities chicago, milwakee, etc. and spending time there just makes me appreciate madison even more. i would recommend anyone to live there.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,780 times
peoples!
the cycling and activities are what i miss the most.
I have never used my hockey skates since leaving lake mendota.
and the last ride i had that i enjoyed every meter of was around paoli.
i will return there soon!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,932 times
thanks for all your posts guys I'm from california and my husband just got a job at epic so we are about to move there soon, from what ive been reading the weather is the only con for me, I can bear that for a few years

Old 07-24-2011, 10:32 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,367,168 times
I love the diversity here in Madison. I've lived serveral places since I moved from Indiana... 27 years ago... and I find you can experience just about anything and everything... nature is close at hand, politics if you want to get involved, the arts, exercise (great bike paths!) and in winter many cross country trails. Union terrace is a great place to have a cold beer and people watch and have great conversations with good friends.

Many great concerts in all venues.... price of housing (property taxes for one) is very high but not as high as total basic rent in Juneau, Alaska (place I fell in love with). A place one could certainly fall in love with if you must have all the creature comforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison