U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2008, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,009 times
Default Any help appreciated...

I've been going through the forums and have found several threads to be helpful. However, I felt I should ask for some other input.

My situation: I'm a recent college grad (just turned 23) and will start working at the end of Sept. for a company in the northeastern part of Madison (located by the regional airport). I had never been to WI before this summer when I interviewed and know nothing about the town. It seems really nice. I'm looking for appts right now, something fairly close to where I work so I don't have to drive across town. Does anybody have any advice for nice appts (between $550-$800/mo.)? I'm a single, young professional (no kids either) so it would be nice to be in an area where I might be able to meet other young professionals and some social places to go. However, I'm past the whole college party scene and want something a little more quiet than down by the UW campus.

Thanks for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 04:40 PM

1,666 posts, read 3,048,419 times
You might have to go a little further away from you work place as it is in an area primarily dominated by low income housing.

I really like Barrington Place Fiduciary Real Estate Development (http://fiduciarydevelopment.com/eprofile.asp?AID=14479 - broken link) which is just off American Parkway, but it is sort of in the middle of nowhere so if you are looking for a social scene I kind of doubt you'll find it there. They do have a club house, pool and workout area. The free continental breakfast is kind of a cool feature. The target audience is young professionals. The web site used to be better, but you get the main points with the current one.

While it is almost closer to Sun Prairie than Madison, it is an easy drive to anywhere east of the Capital.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,009 times
Would I be better off sacrificing the driving distance and look at places in the Middleton area? I've heard that is a nice area too.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:03 PM

Middleton is a nice area, but it would mean a long commute. You don't have to go that far to find a nice place to live.

These look nice and are in a great neighborhood, though I'd find out if the train through there is very active.

Start Renting - Second Street Apartments

Old 08-31-2008, 07:57 PM

456 posts, read 880,252 times
I was just browsing through the apartments listed in craigslist. There were plenty within your range on the east side, near Madison Area Technical College, the airport, Warner Park, etc. You might want to have a look and then add another post about some specific possibilities found there. I will be doing this, too, and soon; as I am in the process of moving to Madison from New York City. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
I was just browsing through the apartments listed in craigslist. There were plenty within your range on the east side, near Madison Area Technical College, the airport, Warner Park, etc. You might want to have a look and then add another post about some specific possibilities found there. I will be doing this, too, and soon; as I am in the process of moving to Madison from New York City. Good luck.
These are low income, semi-rough areas, I would not recommend any of them.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:01 PM

357 posts, read 1,312,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
These are low income, semi-rough areas, I would not recommend any of them.
Excellent point.

Also, ddb8185, beware of spending $550/month (assuming you are looking for a one-bedroom). That will definitely land you in a bad neighborhood. Be prepared to spend at least $700/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison