Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times

Advertisements

Funny you didn't address my main points that there is nothing negative on them when you do a google search and that they are building lots of homes, which means many people have bought them, so where are all the "sky is falling" negative reports? I think calling them cheap is an insult to many, especially when you're living in one yourself. Do some research you will find out many other builders, Kegonsa and Bowers for example are pretty darn similar and you actually get better features in some cases with Veridian.

If you built yours from the ground up did you have your own inspector, and if you bought it as a resale how did it pass inspection? How will you now sell it with disclosure laws? It must not be all that bad.

Needless to say Veridian is not Don Simon or Midland and have a completely different product now, so to be fair you have to critique them on the work they currently do. They offer 5 walk thru's with the buyer and one could always refuse to close. I can find defects in my current older home too.

It's just funny because their homes on the west side will cost you 20 thousand more than same model on the east side and yuppies are buying them. You want to find a builder with some bad publicity do a search on Toll Brothers, a crap ass builder of Mcmansions, so I guess some of the wealthier folks are buying some cheap crap too and didn't do their homework and hire their own inspector.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 09-23-2008 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
You take the two worst builders in the County, merge them, and suddenly you have a good builder? I think not. I live in one of those "slapped together" 1997 homes by Don Simon and I can tell you that my neighbors and I weren't pleased with many of the things that came up over the years, nor the response we received from Don Simon at the time. They had a real - "so long sucka" attitude.

I have actively house hunted on the west side in the last year since moving south as I would really like to do may not be an option. What may look good on paper turns out to have definite negatives in reality.

Nothing you can say will change my opinion (based on personal experience) on either of these issues and I'm betting nothing I say will change yours so we should probably leave it at this. It's just good that the op will be aware that there are two schools of thought out there about the topics.

Charliebear, I still strongly agree with both golddust1 and MWBW that renting first is the best option if it is a possiblity for your family. It might seem like a hassel to have to move twice, but a house is a big purchase and one you are likely to have to live with for awhile in today's market.

One other note. From my recent experience people aren't budging much on their prices. They are opting to just hold on to the property rather than sell it at fire sale prices. This is in your (my) price range - the low 200's. There may be more wiggle room if the people have more equity in their houses and more discretionary income they can fall back on, as you would find in the higher price bracket, but in the starter home range things are pretty much frozen.
There are always a certain percentage of people who have to sell now because of relocation etc. also short sales and foreclosures. I suggest you do your own homework Charliebear, as you and your realtor can find many good deals in the low 200's.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:45 PM

BTW, I wasn't trying to change your mind, but rather would like a fair assessment based on real data that exists, to be found on this forum.

Goodness if one found them to be so substandard why didn't they file a report on Rip off Report, Better Business, and the rate your builder websites?

You actually can't find any negativity of any substance, on Don Simon or Midland Builders, which no longer exist either.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 09-23-2008 at 01:01 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 02:03 PM

151 posts, read 534,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Not necessarily true...several west side schools have problems and are discussed in the media here. Fitchburg of course has its place, but is also very close to the crime ridden area Allied Drive, plus the fact you have to chase serious traffic everyday on Verona Rd, the beltline and don't have immediate interstate access. Fitchburg would also be a little far in staying close to Sun Prairie per posters request. It's Veridian.
I'm not putting down Veridian, it's just that they all look the same. Even our home inspector said it was nice to inspect a home that was not Veridian. They do a decent job for what your paying, there are no veridian homes in my area because it's past their price range. If I was looking for an affordable good home Veridian would have been a good choice. In general the west side schools are better but like all schools they have their issues. Compared to the HS I went to in NYC the schools here are tame I agree about Allied drive but we live past Lacy road, luckily Fish Hatch is not to bad when it comes to traffic, Verona Rd. is a different story.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arangoa79 View Post
I'm not putting down Veridian, it's just that they all look the same. Even our home inspector said it was nice to inspect a home that was not Veridian. They do a decent job for what your paying, there are no veridian homes in my area because it's past their price range. If I was looking for an affordable good home Veridian would have been a good choice. In general the west side schools are better but like all schools they have their issues. Compared to the HS I went to in NYC the schools here are tame I agree about Allied drive but we live past Lacy road, luckily Fish Hatch is not to bad when it comes to traffic, Verona Rd. is a different story.
I wasn't implying you were putting them down, but really you are making conclusions not based entirely on fact about Veridian IMO. First of all Veridian doesn't have a subdivision in Fitchburg. Are you sure you know for a fact someone hasn't had Veridian build a home for them on a lot in Fitchburg? Are you sure you know their price point? Are you aware they have properties on the West side of Madison, Verona, and Middleton? Are you aware that they build estate and Manor homes in their subdivisions which are higher end? Are you aware they have built many many homes and have many subdivisons? Most of all are you aware that many, many homes in Madison and the surrounding area are cookie cutter, even the most expensive ones unless they are really custom or old? Are you aware that many many builders are good at disguising cheap and have been found to use inferior products, subcontractors etc? Kudo's to you for having a custom home. Mind stating who your builder was? Yes I know where Lacy Rd. is and I do believe there is a mix of housing there. Just did a search and there is a house on Lacy Rd. listed for $169,900. Thanks for bursting my bubble I thought we were doing pretty good being able to build a $280,000 home, across from a park with it's own gazebo, bike path, trails and fountain, with a YMCA and a brand new school in the immediate area.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 09-23-2008 at 02:43 PM..

Old 12-07-2008, 09:31 PM

Default Veridian

On a side note, the mayor of Monona just had Veridian build him a 4000 sq. foot home on Winnequah Dr. The husband and I drove by today and it's a nice house, but still on a Monona Postage stamp lot which I guess goes along with Veridians "new" concept. The house got an extra special certified stamp of approval for its energy efficiency, which all their homes are supposed to meet. Guess the mayor found Veridian to be reputable enough for him.

We are soon to be putting an offer in on an existing spec home in Grand View Commons subject to sale of our home. The house was upgraded at time of build and is the only style of that exact model in the subdivision. It was a newer home plan and wider than most of their plans, so they won't be building it more than likely, on any lots they have left. It has actually been sitting on the market for a long time and has been lowered $15,000. Hopefully we will be able to knock it down another 10 grand. Life is good but may get better soon!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 AM

22 posts, read 77,288 times
Default Moving to Madison

If you are looking in the Sun Prairie area there are many options in your price range. Keep in mind that there is quite alot or room for negotiating price these days. You could easily look 10-15 thousand over your asking price and be in great shape. Sun Prairie is a great community, it has the small town feeling with all the conveniences of a large city. I know Beaver Dam well, growing up not that far away in another small town, West Bend.

Renting first is always an option if you are just not sure of neighborhoods I just think you can get so much for your money right now that you want to be careful you dont wait to long and miss out on your buying edge. Best of luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison