Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 PM

13 posts, read 58,578 times

Advertisements

So I'm currently in community college in West Palm. I have about three semesters until I get my associates and then its off to a university for business. I have been looking at two schools, UW-Madison and FAU, UW-Madison being my first choice. I'm garaunteed admission to FAU with an associates degree from a florida community college and its close to me, so I'm not as concerned with getting info. Madison on the other hand I know nothing about. I've checked out the schools website for information on qualifications and the admission process. I've also done alot of research on the city itself. I'm wondering, does anyone have any recomendations or suggestions on how to increase my chances of being accepted. What are certain things they look for? Are there any specific course they may want to see? Any helpful information in general is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 06:06 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
Well, I can't suggest any specific courses, but in general the UW is considered "highly selective," meaning that it's tough to get into. People do transfer into the UW from community colleges in Wisconsin, and from the two-year campuses in the UW system, but they have to have at least a B average, if I recall correctly, to be considered. Transferring in from out of state, from a community college that isn't already set up as a feeder school for the U, you'll probably want to be able to show an even better GPA than that to be considered. Extracurricular activities - volunteer work, participation in clubs and so forth - would help, too.

Another important thing for you to investigate is whether or not the courses you are currently taking will transfer as credits at the UW. Even at the in-state community colleges, there are courses that the UW will not accept as transfer credits, meaning that students have to re-take them (and pay for them) once they're attending UW. Check with your adviser or counselor at your current school as a starting point; he or she should be able to give you some clues about which courses might be iffy as transfer credits.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:13 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,271 times
It's much easier to transfer than to get in as a freshman. If you have a 3.3+ in your undergrad courses so far, I'd say you should be a lock. However, once you get accepted to UW-Madison you will still eventually have to apply to the business school and that is a bit harder to get into.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 PM

13 posts, read 58,578 times
Question Then what

Thanks for the info guys, but one more question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
However, once you get accepted to UW-Madison you will still eventually have to apply to the business school and that is a bit harder to get into.
What happens if you get accepted to UW-Madison and the School of Business doesn't accept you?

Last edited by Eskimo822; 10-14-2008 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Add a thanks

Old 10-14-2008, 05:08 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,271 times
The situation could be pretty bad then, I guess. When I transferred to UW-Madison from UW-Oshkosh after a year, they told me that off my record (3.2 GPA), it was unlikely that I'd get admitted into the School of Business (which I had put down as my intended major). I ended up changing my mind after a semester after getting two C's in Business School prereq's, and ultimately majored in History (big mistake). Anyway, I don't know what type of student you are or exactly how their admissions works, so I'd swing the undergraduate School of Business an e-mail and ask them any questions you have. Back when I transferred they were very helpful.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:33 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,236 times
I think your high school grades and extra curriculars will be relevant to your admissions to the UW. You will probably find that many of the general courses like english comp or chemistry will transfer if the cc has good accredidation, but they will want you to complete the relevant courses here.

All that said, I don't think you should let any of that hold you back from attending the UW. It's a great school and no matter where you go you will not have a guarantee that you'll be accepted into their business school until you complete a semester or two (maybe more I'm not sure). There are prerequisite courses you have to take before you will be considered here and I assume the same will hold true at any major university.

If you're in your early 20's and can afford the tuition, what do you have to loose? Worst case scenerio you might have to consider another major, but there are plenty of great programs here. That's one of the plus's of a big university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison