U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2008, 01:51 PM

11 posts, read 38,423 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Madison in January, and am currently looking for an apartment, but must do this all over the internet, having never visited madison. So I have posted here before, and since then have gotten an idea for the neighborhoods around UW. Now I have run into a dilemma of wanting to be close to campus for convenience and to not feel too isolated living alone, but also not being in the midst of a frat party.
So my questions is.. just how rowdy does State St. and the surrounding streets get? I am looking at an apartment at 445 W. Gilman, which would put me halfway between State st. and University ave. I'm afraid this may be right in the middle of it all, but it is one of the few that is close to campus, will take my cat, is affordable, and has parking. I also happen to like downtown living, just not continuous noise into the night.
Also, has anyone heard anything good or bad about Faircrest property management. I could'nt find any reviews online.
Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,192,696 times
I think you already know the answer to your question about the location. You will be surrounded by drunken crowds on pretty much a nightly basis in that location. Really, it is worth it to live further out if you can. It's not like neighbors are going to be friendlier on campus than off. You are going to make your friends via school, actvities and work anyhow.

Now, as far as pet friendly apartments... Here is a list from the Dane County Humane Society's web site: Apartments that Accept Pets | Dane County Humane Society: Helping People Help Animals

Old 10-21-2008, 06:39 PM

62 posts, read 122,574 times
I'm looking for an apartment myself, but not in that area. I used to live in Madison and will be moving back soon, so some of this information may be outdated.

From what I saw the streets close to State street with a lot of student housing are very active, but not overly rowdy. There's quite a few professionals, alumni, and non-students living in the areas bordering campus. You might want to ask the real estate agent what the percentage of students are for your building. I had a friend in a building close to Gilman and the student percentage was only about 65%, the others worked downtown, but the higher cost of rent for that particular building may have influenced the numbers a bit.

I haven't heard anything on Faircrest Management, but if you have a car you'll want to ask them about parking. If it isn't provided with rent, expect to pay somewhere around $100-$150 a month for parking or expect to fight it out for spots on the street. And most downtown streets have winter parking restrictions which will definitely complicate things if you're not used to it.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,635,399 times
The 400 block of Gilman is a couple of blocks off State Street, and unless you're going to be on the ground floor or facing the street on the 2nd or 3rd floor, it would not be nearly as bad as, say, 244 West Gilman, which is right off State. It's still going to be a largely student building, and you are unquestionably going to see behavior that you may not particularly appreciate, especially on home game days during football season and around Halloween, but that's going to be the case pretty much anywhere near the campus area.

There are a couple of additional points I'd make. First, if you're moving in January, I'd be astounded if that's anything more than an 8-month lease. All campus area leases in this city start on August 15 and end on August 14, give or take a week or so, and dollars to donuts, your lease for 445 West Gilman would end sometime during the first half of August. That means that you have less than a year in the building if you really hate it, and only about 4 1/2 months of seriously juvenile student behavior to look forward to. From mid-May onward, it's like living in an entirely different city, because there are no longer 40,000 18-22 year olds partying and puking in your hallways.

Also, moving in January puts you here right at prime apartment-hunting time for the 2009-2010 lease term. You'd be out of luck for the high-dollar high-rises that all the rich East-coasters flock to, but it doesn't sound like you'd want to live there anyway. You'd be here right at the perfect time to look in the University Avenue/Walnut Street/Kendall Avenue area, where you'd probably be a lot happier in the long run.

As to Faircrest Management, if you haven't yet contacted Tenant Resource Center to ask what they're like as landlords, do that NOW. The Tenant Resource Center is like a Better Business Bureau for landlords, and they can tell you what, if any, kind of problems to expect there. I've heard that their website is hard to navigate, so you may wish to call them, but however you communicate, check with the TRC before you sign a lease.

There are other good suggestions in the "helpful links about Madison" thread; I'd particularly suggest that you check out the average utility cost calculator at the Madison Gas & Electric website, which you'll find there.

Good luck, and let us know how things go for you.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:54 PM

11 posts, read 38,423 times
Thanks alot everyone. So to clarify, yes I am expecting to find another sublet after the summer, as I am only moving to Madison to do my hospital rotations, and will hopefully be done by Nov-Dec, so I don't really want to be locked in a lease. So I figured I can stick it out until May if it is that bad. The unit is on the top floor of a 4-floor building, so I'm hoping to avoid some noise that way. And a reserved parking spot is included in the rent as well at heat and electric, so after doing the math, this unit will be cheaper than some of the other places I saw a little further east of campus anf further off the busline.

I guess my problem is that I will be in town for than a year, and as soon as I get there I will be immersed in my rotations, so I am not sure how much "friend making" time there will be. So I guess that's why I actually would like to be around other people. I'll just hope they aren't all obnoxious people.

So I will check with the tenant resource center, I had looked at the website but that didn't turn up anything, so I guess I will give them a call. And I will inquire about the building population, good suggestion. Thanks alot for your advice, and keep it coming if anyone has more to add.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,167 times
Faircrest Management run by Art Leutke is HORRIBLE. If you call Tenant Resource Center they will tell you that they have a HUGE file on this slumlord. Everything from not fixing things, promises not kept, horrible management, sneaky-underhanded type behavior, advertises himself as having a "professional" maintenance staff, but they are all temporary, ex-cons, illegal aliens, etc., horrible office staff-real nasty woman that works in the office, answering the phones, etc. Slumlord, beware!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison