Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2007, 07:57 AM

9 posts, read 41,239 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am delighted to have discovered this forum and have already learned so much! I am hoping for some help deciding where to move.

A little background: I am single woman in my mid-thirties, no children. I work in the arts (for not much money!)

I have been living overseas for many years, but will be moving back to the US soon. My life has sort of suddenly come apart at the seams and I need a place to rebuild my world, almost from scratch. This is a really scary proposition, and I would love your help trying to find a good place to make my new home.

A little about what I am looking for: I once lived in Portland, Oregon and loved it there. I liked the fact that it is progressive, filled with parks, and has bike lanes! I liked the fact that it was walkable, with an interesting variety of neighborhoods, and very little deep urban blight. Most importantly, I loved its artsy "coffee house" vibe. I am definitely a bookstore, cafe, foreign-movie type gal. However, the rain really got to me. I much prefer a snowy winter.

After reading these forums a lot, I have narrowed down my choices to Minneapolis and Madison. They both seem to be progressive and vibrant, with similar weather. They both seem to have safe, walkable, fairly affordable urban neighborhoods. They both seem to have the artsy feel I am looking for, and plenty of natural beauty.

What makes them different? Has anyone spent time both of these cities? Can anyone give me a sense of why one might suit me more than another? I am interested in everything from safety and cost of living, to the intangible spirit of the place.

I would be grateful for any thoughts! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 04:58 PM

102 posts, read 585,474 times
Default MSP vs MAD

I've lived in both cities, althought I've been away awhile from etiher. I'd say it's a little like comparing apples and oranges. Do you like big cities? MSP is about 5 to 6 times the size of Madison and it is truly a "regional citiy". Madison isn't really, maybe someday it will be. They are both bike friendly, and have ample bookstores, coffee houses, art etc. Actually for a smaller environment Madison has a lot to offer, but Minneapolis has everything Madison has plus more and more choices. Minneapolis also has some pretty horrendous traffic to offer! Both cities are home to the major universities of their respective states, and the universities are comparable in size and reputation, but the impact of the U is much greater in Madison. I think Madison is a great place, but when in your 30's you may enjoy Minneapolis more. I liked both cities, but I'm just a weather wimp, winters are too cold and too long.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:59 PM

99 posts, read 485,312 times
I grew up in Madison but went to the U of MN and lived there for 10 years. Now we are back in Madison/Sun Prairie but are moving to Austin, TX for jobs/change of scenery. I actually find Austin, TX a perfect mix of Madison and Mpls but that is for another post or pm if you want to go to a warmer climate!

Madison does have an art scene and biking for sure, but I find Mpls to be quite a bit larger and a hipper scene with the new Guthrie and lots of other little theaters. Also has amazing lakes (Lake of the Isles, Calhoun, Harriet) that all have bike and walking lanes all around them--they all link up to make it about a 10 mile bike ride. So many neighborhoods with lots of little fun stores and cafes. Because it is so much larger and you have St. Paul right next door, there is a lot to offer in Mpls. My gut says you would find more to do and more single women like yourself in Mpls than Madison.

Neighborhoods I'd recommend for you in Mpls would be Nokomis, Uptown, Kenwood area, or really any neighborhood where you could access the lakes or Uptown easily. Some areas can be sketchy so you would want to be able to check them out first hand before committing. Downtown by the river has some great condos and lots of shops/coffee houses that would be fun. Northeast downtown is also supposed to be revitalized.

We used to live in Loring Park area (both rented and owned a condo) a few years ago and loved it. So close to the lakes, uptown restaurants, downtown bars/restaurants too. It is a neighborhood inbetween uptown and downtown.

Madison is beautiful, easy to get around, and pretty liberal. The UW Union Terrace is amazing on a warm summer night. Maybe check out the Vilas/Monroe street area? Has great coffee shops, restaurants, and even a Trader Joes!

I'd say cost of living would be similar--rent seemed the same in both places. Property taxes are higher in WI and you do not pay tax on clothing in MN but I'm sure it all evens out in the end.

Good luck with your choice! Weather is not too different from each other. Both get nice and warm in summer, and cold/snowy in the winter.

Tanya

Old 04-01-2007, 08:15 PM

9 posts, read 41,239 times
Thanks for the very informative replies. Tanya, I especially appreciate your leads on neighborhoods. I love this forum!

It sounds like Minneapolis might offer more possibilities at this point in my life, though there is certainly something appealing about a smaller town atmosphere, too.

I am actually also considering Austin, and just posted in that forum, too. I can't quite decide whether I prefer a long, cold winter or a long, hot and humid summer! Overall, I feel like all three of these cities are real possibilities. I think I am on the right track.

Thanks so much, everyone, for your input!

Old 04-02-2007, 07:25 PM

42 posts, read 188,847 times
I would definently choose Madison they just built the Overture Center for the arts and they also have sevral great art museums and music scene is terrific. So much safer then msp and no where near as much traffic living in New York City I would know I also spent a good 10 years in the twin city area
verdict Twin City's < Madison

Old 04-03-2007, 05:13 PM

653 posts, read 3,404,096 times
My suggestion for you would be Madison. Really a great Midwestern medium sized city, with a lot to offer. The "Cities" are nice too, faster paced I'd say. Madison centrally located between Chicago/milwaukee/The Cities, which is a plus.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho View Post
Hey GregB.

If you don't have anything nice to say about Appleton, then shut up. I have read your negative rants on just about every question about Wisconsin on this forum. Since you live in Vegas, then talk about that to other people who live in Vegas. No one is interested in anything you have to say. Also, you should get a hobby because your nasty sh*t-stained comments/rants are smeared all over the place at all hours of the day and night.

Drop dead already.
As a newbie here, your on a course to get banned real quick. I have plenty positive to say about Wisconsin--just about everything except the weather. If you don't like my posts--DON"T read em. As far as hobbies, between my work and hobbies, if you will, I sleep about 5-6 hours per day. JFYI-I OFTEN reccomend Madison, La Crosse, Milwaukee and yes> even Appleton. WhatI do say about Wisconsin in general is that the weather is often less than desireable (which is true), and that APPLETON is a very conservative community (which is true). Other than that, I most always praise the wonderful state of Wisconsin-my home for many, many years. I don't lie on my posts and you are the first one too ever suggest I drop dead. Being the kind of person that I AM, I ask you too accept my apology, if I have offended you. As for "Dropping Dead''-that's in my Higher power's hands!!

Last edited by GreggB; 04-08-2007 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 04-08-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista View Post
Sounds like you can't take criticism. Sho hit the nail on the head, GreggB. You are rather whiny and unpleasant. Please stay in Vegas. You belong there. Leave beautiful, friendly Appleton, Wisconsin to the rest of us. We would like to enjoy our town!
Enjoy it all you want. I have no desire to taint your desires. I lived there for 30 years. Read between the lines on my posts and you will see that I hold Wisconsin in high regards. Sounds like you and Sho are letting the cold and "Cabin Fever" get to ya!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison