Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 10,396 times

Advertisements

My husband has received a job offer which would relocate us to Madison area. We haven't made the trip up yet to look at housing but have heard that Madison Public Schools are very good as our kids are in elementry school. His offices will be just south of Madison's 151/14/12/18 and west of the 14. So he doesn't want to commute more than 30 minutes.

We are looking for a kid friendly neighborhood somewhat near my husband's offices and looking at either Fitchburg or Middelton. Is there somewhere else we should be looking? How is Monoma? If one of these areas work is there neighborhoods that are friendly?

Also, we are outdoor people and like going for walks on trails, having our kids ride their bikes, go to the parks and enjoy boating. We cannot afford to live on a lake but do own a boat.

thx for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,159 times
Bay Creek (Lakeside/Emerson/Whitter) seems like a good fit for you, 15 minutes from Fitchburg close to the lake yet affordable and close to the zoo/pool/and many big parks, and good access to bike paths and 10 minutes tops to downtown. And to top it off, elementary school (franklin) is right in the neighborhood

Old 04-21-2009, 03:44 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
If I had to choose between Fitchburg and Middleton, I'd pick Middleton. Middleton has more of a community feeling. Fitchburg is more a collection of housing developments that have banded together to make a "town," but they aren't a cohesive community.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:00 PM

53 posts, read 174,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
If I had to choose between Fitchburg and Middleton, I'd pick Middleton.
Ditto.
Fitchburg is sprawl, Middleton is a community.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
If you like Fitchburg, you should like Verona even more.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:49 AM

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but I like what I've seen of Verona. It is definitely not Madison, however. Sort of depends on what you are looking for. Verona is a small town, nice community with some cute local business and a lot of potential due to the prescence of Epic Systems. I wouldn't compare it to Fitchburg at all as they are total polar opposites in my opinion.

Middleton has the advantage of being a small town, but one that seamlessly joins with Madison so is very accessible to everything good Madison has to offer. You literally would not know when you crossed the city boarders if you didn't see the signs, but somehow it still maintains a sense of self.

You have to drive through country side to get to Verona, although Madison's south side sprawl is closing that gap in many places. That sprawling area is not an asset by any means and it's proximity doesn't really put you any closer to the things most people like about Madison.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but I like what I've seen of Verona.

I wouldn't compare it to Fitchburg at all as they are total polar opposites in my opinion.
No, not sarcasm. My comparison had more to do with the direction/distance from the work location and the amenities that the OP was seeking. Given the OP's list, I was surprised she put Fitchburg on a short list of places to consider and figured that must have to do more with location than anything else.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:11 PM

Sorry, Bowie. Sometimes it's hard to interpret posts. One of the drawbacks of the internet. I do agree Verona is a good suggestion.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:09 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Having grown up in the town of Verona for a considerable length of time, as well as Waunakee and Madison, to date Verona would be considered by definition a sprawling suburb.

One of our papers recently ran a story about Epic and got feedback that their technology isn't as great as the hype. With a well known competing high tech company in CA dabbling in Medical records, it would be devastating to see the ghost town Verona could become if in these hard economic times they went under.

Truth be told many people in past decades moved to the suburbs (which around Madison is the small towns that surround it) to get away from crime and diversity.

Verona was very much a one horse town and hasn't changed in that respect much. We used to have undetected parties at the rock quarry in the countryside leading to Verona mentioned here, although I wouldn't describe it as true countryside, especially now. Verona has always been a short trip away from Madison.

Fitchburg in my opinion is over rated by the people who like it and was created for those wanting to get away from city dwellers.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:06 AM

16 posts, read 107,085 times
I am a doctor and have used EPIC as well as many other electronic medical records systems. EPIC crushes the competition in my opinion. Actually, not just my opinion since I recently interviewed for new positions and discovered that both the University of Colorado and the University of Illinois are changing their EMRs to EPIC. I wouldn't worry about EPIC going under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison