Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 AM

37 posts, read 114,527 times

Advertisements

"Which of your rights have been taken away? I don't get it "

um, how about taxes on smoking, liquor, soda, also prohibiting what we eat and not allow certain fats at restaurants, trying to tell us what doctors we can use, shouldn't own a gun, etc, etc.

i don't smoke, drink, or own a gun, but if i wanted to i should be able to without taxing the heck out of me because some politician thinks it's bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 11:43 AM

62 posts, read 182,930 times
I lived in Kansas, one of the reddest of the red states, and it has a partial smoking ban, a law against unattended automobile idling, a dooring ordinance, and you better believe you can raise chickens in your backyard there. In fact, most of those laws have been in the books for a long time.

These guys are just parroting what they hear on Rush Limbaugh and Fox News because they think it makes them sound smart, when in fact their argument fails to consider all the facts (perhaps deliberately so in a selfish attempt to win). For example, to say "Ban smoking" instead of "Ban smoking in public places" to make it look like an over-reaching regulation. Once again, even red states have partial smoking bans but you don't hear them crying about that because it invalidates their point of view.

The drive-thru ban was only brought up in Madison because a new business wanted to build one and in order to do so it would have to appropriate previously developed land and restructure traffic flow in an already heavily congested area (perhaps the worst in town) which also has well known automotive traffic problems and heavy pedestrian nearby.

Guys like Milwaukee City and finance wizard (yeah, right, brainiac) are just frustrated they can't pleasure themselves anymore to the idea of permanently financed war and torture. They only use their time running to the basement during commercial breaks on Fox News to count their guns (why? Because Fox News told them Obama was going to take them away) and spend their nights dreaming about tea bagging each other.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
How the hell did we get from a federal court ruling about GPS devices on cars to "permanently financed war and torture?" Red herring much?

Old 05-16-2009, 04:16 PM

62 posts, read 182,930 times
Umm, Drover, I think you missed out on this part, just for starters:
Quote:
Let's ad this to the list of Madison goofy laws and ordinances, I'm trying to think of all of them:

1. Ban Drive Thru's
2. Letting homeless people live in their cars and park wherever they wanted
3. Pot just a misdemeanor
4. Making it illegal to idle your car in your driveway in winter
5. Ban Smoking
6. to open the door of a parked or standing vehicle into traffic without checking to make sure it’s safe.
7. ban the sale of beer and malt liquor in amounts less than a six-pack of bottles, liquor in the amounts of 200 milliliters or less and the sale of fortified wine for consumption off the premises on which it was sold.
8. Oh you want chickens in your city backyard sure go ahead
9. Inclusionary zoning law- very new housing development contains some affordable housing. Madison became the first city in Wisconsin to pass such an ordinance.

Now that's progressive! now I admit I don't know if all of thee above have been passed or repealed but I know they were all at least proposed.

Is Madison smoking their own wacky tobacky or is it just the politicians or do people in Madison actually want all the laws or ordinances they pass?
Read much?????? Or just miss out on the whole comprehension thing?

Old 05-16-2009, 04:32 PM

Not only did I not miss out on the text you quoted, but I actually responded to it. As in, I directly addressed the actual content of the post instead of pretending to know his or any other poster's thoughts on the war, whether they any have guns and how many, what they think Fox News told them about Obama or anything else, or whether they watch Fox News at all, or any other speculative appeals to character that have shag-all to do with the content of the posts but instead are designed to mock the posters themselves.

There's a whole Politics and Other Controversies forum where lazy, trite logical fallacies like yours are the currency of the day. So go pedal your twaddle over there, because around here it will get smeared like dog crap on the bottom of a tennis shoe.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:18 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Drover
You are a fair and logical guy (girl?). While you clearly point out your own opinions, I get the feeling you will also defend the rights of differing viewpoints to be communicated. IF they are done in a well thought out, logical manner. I like when you call out emotional rants taking away from the topic.

Keep this board running smoothly.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,848 times
Fair and logical, huh? This guy doesn't even live in Madison and yet seems obsessed with it. Why does he even post here? Is it his civic duty to "warn" the world about Madison? If you don't like a place then don't live/visit there. Simple as that. No need for a crusade.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:28 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Fair and logical, huh? This guy doesn't even live in Madison and yet seems obsessed with it. Why does he even post here? Is it his civic duty to "warn" the world about Madison? If you don't like a place then don't live/visit there. Simple as that. No need for a crusade.
LOL good one Megan Although, I think D sometimes makes some interesting posts and points...he also seems to like to browbeat to his own drummer given the particular day. Point being could also be taken as trolling...so no better than others.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:33 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Drover
You are a fair and logical guy (girl?). While you clearly point out your own opinions, I get the feeling you will also defend the rights of differing viewpoints to be communicated. IF they are done in a well thought out, logical manner. I like when you call out emotional rants taking away from the topic.

Keep this board running smoothly.
We have moderators to keep this board running smoothly...
thank you

Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
I post here because 1) this is an open forum and I don't need your permission or anyone else's; 2) I am a former resident; 3) I am still a frequent visitor; 4) as a perhaps future resident, I like to keep an eye on the goings-on; and 5) I still care enough about what goes on there to observe and comment on it.

Who ever said I don't like Madison? Exactly what "crusade" are you referring to? I've explicitly said in these forums, many times, that I do like Madison. Perhaps it escaped your notice that my purpose in participating in this thread was to defend Madison against accusations of nuttiness?

Even so, it's not a perfect place (even if many residents might think so) and there are some things about it that could stand some change or at least could stand a discussion or debate about whether X, Y or Z should or should not be the way things are done there. Just because I don't live there doesn't mean I'm not entitled to participate in that discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison