Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,942 times

Advertisements

We're on the North side and our favorite park is Sycamore. It's built on a landfill, so they can't plant trees, but they do have some shelters for shade. There are trees on the perimeter, so it's not completely barren. It's just under a mile lap around. They do have a small dog area, but small dogs are welcome in the main area too. The crowd is mixed but typically medium and large dogs. There's almost always someone there, even on the coldest days, and usually a good crowd.

Warner is great- wooded and open paths, natural swimming area, open fields. The only problem with Warner is that escape artists can occasionally find their way out (either along the river in the woods to the left as you come in the gate or right over the ice to the railroad tracks in the winter). They also have a small dog area. Warner is nice because it's in a very large park, Warner Park, which also allows dogs on the paths.

Cherokee Marsh is also very nice, it's pretty big with a floating pier for dogs to play fetch in the lake. It has woods and marshes and open fields. It's never happened to us, but I've heard that Cherokee can also be escaped by the determined dog. Cherokee also only has a single gate system and is on a busy road, which makes me nervous sometimes.

If you like to hike you can check out Governor Nelson state park, on the north side of Lake Mendota, about 2 miles from Cherokee Marsh on M. They have lots of trails, some in the woods and some in the open fields. Mellow, easy hiking with wide trails. You can hike on-leash, although you can get away with off-leash. We're often the only ones there or may meet one or two people on the path. They have a dog swimming area, where off-leash is allowed. Governor Nelson has marked Native American effigy mounds right off the trails, which I always like to check out when we're there.

They're also planning a new north/east side park and have it narrowed down to three locations, off of Aberg or off of East Washington. The west side may be planning more too, I'm not sure.

Notes about Madison parks: You need a permit, if I recall correctly it's about $20 a year with a break on the second dog (Gov. Nelson is a state park, so you need a different permit there). The parks don't supply drinking water, but do have bags. They've tightened up the rules on children and they need to be over 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,304 times
I know this thread is old, but I thought I would throw in some other info.

There is a dog side of the park where the Yahara river meets lake Monona. It is not fenced in but as long as you are curteous and your dog is well behaved people often throw ball for their dogs there. It is the side of the Yahara river along S.Thornton. I throw ball all along the river but leash my dog when people go by. Most people are just crossing the river or walking along the other side. At the corner of S.Thornton and Morrison St. there is a sign labeling it dog friendly.

As far as the rules that no dogs are allowed, I treat this more as a guideline and use my own judgement about whether or not to take my dog. Anywhere there is a life guard they are supposed to tell you take your dog elsewhere so I don't go to those parks. I also don't go if there are officials since technically it is a code violation. I always bring bags and pick up after may dog. I also avoid playgrounds and try not to interfere with anothers use of the park. I was once told to leave by a neighborhood patrol. She seemed like a nosey nitpicker since the park was totally empty and she was just driving by. She threatened to file a complaint. I told her she should. If she did, I never heard a thing about it.

If a park is not occupied I have no problem letting my dog play fetch. I just contain her or at least make her wait until people pass. I always leash her around kids playgrounds, but if a field is far enough away from people I may throw some stick. I try to avoid crowded parks.

Some places I have succesfully played fetch that are not parks or are parks that are posted no dogs allowed:

Near East
On Eastwood Dr, just east of Division, on the bike trail side, there is a strip of grass that is a hundred feet long and 20 feet wide. It is between the bike path and a brick or cement commercial building. It is great for a quick throw to wear out my dog. I just grab her or distract her when bikes go by. The bike path buffers the road and nobody is ever there. Not a park, but I have never had a problem here.

On Winnabego st, just south of milwaukee st, there is a field between winnabego and a bike path. The property is private but I let my dog fetch. It is far away enough from traffic to be safe but close enough so barking is no big deal. Occasionally another dog is there to play with. Not very many people are there but some who sleep in there car hang out there. They mow and may spray herbicides, not sure but I wouldn't let my dog eat any plants there. Not a park but I have had no problems. Even police drive by but have better things to do.

On Fordom Ave, across from a strip mall near the intersection with E. Johnson there is a nice strip of grass along the railroad tracks. It is a little bumpy and not mowed but a dog could get a running there. Don't allow eating of plants, herbicides are ussually sprayed along railroad tracks. Not a park, only tried it once but with no issue.

I have let my dog play in the water at Giddings park at lake Mendota off N. Brearly. Small park and if you hit it right nobody is there. Been there a couple times for a 20 minute swim with 3 dogs. I think it is posted no dogs allowed.

I have even let my dog play fetch right along theside of the bike path between Ohio Ave. and Corry St. I just stop her while a bike goes by. The side are the community garden and a prairie restoration that is tall so my dog stays right along the edge. Not a park, it's the edge of the bike trail where people and animals jog.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:16 PM

45 posts, read 74,774 times
Here is a link to Dane County dog parks (not all of them, but a good place to start):
Dog Parks - Parks Division - Government of Dane County, Wisconsin

I love Indian Lake Park. They have miles of trails and a lake that lots of dogs swim in. It's serene and beautiful year round. I also x-country ski there when the snow is good

I'm an avid dog person, but am in that camp that believes dogs should be kept on leashes unless the area is designated off-leash. It's only fair to others using the park space (and even if you yell "don't worry s/he's friendly" as your dog comes careening toward me, it doesn't mean that I want muddy footprints on my clothes or that my dog is ok with it). It's also important to respect the rule because the area is so fortunate to have dog-friendly parks. Don't make the people & organizations who worked so hard to make these open spaces possible a scapegoat down the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison