U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:13 PM

30 posts, read 76,086 times
Default What area around Madison for off-grid home, small ag?

Hi, we're looking for some land (2 or 3 acres) outside of downtown Madison to build a geodesic dome home and do some small-scale farming to feed our family. We will need a safe water source off of the grid, and we will be organic, so we need to know that the area has no possibility of having been polluted in the past, and there's no reason to expect it will be polluted in the future (spills, accidents/nearby chemical plants, landfills, etc.). What areas/neighborhoods would people on this forum recommend?

Also, just checking: is the Madison area very walkable (and bikeable)? To give you context, we live in Asheville, where they didn't add sidewalks to many areas outside of downtown

Thank you so much for your help! Anyone moving to Asheville, we'll be glad to tell you all about it, the good and the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 12:58 PM

42 posts, read 130,358 times
Springfield, Dunn, South Fitchburg all good choices where are you comming from

Old 04-14-2007, 03:27 PM

30 posts, read 76,086 times
Thanks for the reply. We will check them out. Also, are the mosquitoes bad up there? I heard just today that they are intolerable. !!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 9,106 times
Hi,

I am interested in purchasing a small plot of land as close to Madison as possible as well. I want to build my own home and potentially have a small amount of pastured livestock.

Did you find what you were looking for? Whereabouts? Was it affordable? Are you still looking? I'd love to hear more about your experience with this.

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,905,713 times
My impression, from growing up here, is that Wisconsin has been so heavily, commercially farmed, for so many years, that I think you would have to go way up north for "pure" land such as the original poster is describing.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:10 AM

4,386 posts, read 9,570,545 times
Try all around New Glarus.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:14 AM

863 posts, read 162,725 times
Better bring LOTS of cash with you if you want to do that around Madison.
Area south of EauClaire would be better if you dont have a trust fund-better
act quick in any event if its in US dollars!

Old 09-20-2008, 02:03 PM

4,386 posts, read 9,570,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Try all around New Glarus.
I might add New Glarus is not in Dane county (As Madison is) you get ALOT more for the money in that area. My daughter/son in law have five lovely view acres and a huge organic garden. They are in an area called Blanchardville just a few miles from New Glarus and easy commute to Madison where he is employed.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:13 PM

863 posts, read 162,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
My impression, from growing up here, is that Wisconsin has been so heavily, commercially farmed, for so many years, that I think you would have to go way up north for "pure" land such as the original poster is describing.

I agree.There is no place where corn/soybean monoculture is practiced
(entire midwest) where water supply can be trusted.Areas where it isn't
aren't much for ag.I Upon reflection the area right on Lake Superior
from say Superior to Bayfield could support survival type homesteading
if not commerical ag.Plus da fishing is good.
Superior is getting better and Duluth is as good as Madison in most
ways and WAY ahead in senic beauty.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,250 times
Default Living "Off the grid in wisconsin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by organica View Post
Hi, we're looking for some land (2 or 3 acres) outside of downtown Madison to build a geodesic dome home and do some small-scale farming to feed our family. We will need a safe water source off of the grid, and we will be organic, so we need to know that the area has no possibility of having been polluted in the past, and there's no reason to expect it will be polluted in the future (spills, accidents/nearby chemical plants, landfills, etc.). What areas/neighborhoods would people on this forum recommend?

Also, just checking: is the Madison area very walkable (and bikeable)? To give you context, we live in Asheville, where they didn't add sidewalks to many areas outside of downtown

Thank you so much for your help! Anyone moving to Asheville, we'll be glad to tell you all about it, the good and the bad.
Well Wisconsin is one of the best states to live off the grid.
1st.
Reason being theres alot of creeks, brooks, rivers in wisconsin. Thus provideing an alternative energy source "Hydro electric Water Wheels".
Even in the harshest of winters many of these brooks and creeks water flows so fast that they never freeze over.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J5njCbTNb8"]Stainless Steel Waterwheel Hydro Power - YouTube[/URL]

2nd alternative "Wind powered turbines". Another valueable energy resource.
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaP3paR32-Y"]Home Made Wind Turbine - YouTube[/URL]

3rd "solar panel energy".

4th The need of good land for agraculture. The more a man looks the fussier he gets !

5th Freegan Your home if possable. there are many small constuction companys around the state that just toss out perfectly fine building materials. Recycle them if possable. One good option is 40 ft steel frieght containers ! you can purchase them here in appleton for around $1200 each. In fact i have recently read a article about the enormous amount of these frieight containers becomeing a eco hazzard because theres just to many !
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY03at1L7yA"]Container homes - YouTube[/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k--_QJlbJ0U"]container homes - YouTube[/URL]

6th Water testing and septic testing !

7th It couild take you years of planing to live off the grid ! This will be a very time consuming plan trust me ive been planing for almost 5 years now.

If you really want to "live Off the grid" the whole point is to get out of the city were the corporate monopoly Weenergys cant get involved.

What is "liveing off the grid" ?
No reliance on Corporate Systems or government !
Self sustaninablity !
To live and be one with nature and to leave as little of a carbon foot print as possable.

So were do you look for land ? Were to start ? I wouild sugest township of vernon theres a nice little fast flowing pebble brook a class 3 trout fishing brook. you can have a hydro electric water wheel there aslong as you do no interupt the flow of water and or wildlife. As a precaution there is alot of marsh land there but theres still a good amount of buildable land aswell.
[URL="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rlz=1G1TSNA_ENUS406&q=vernon+wisconsin& bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1366&bih=615&wrapid=tli f131225716077910&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8805a3db8d2a0493:0x9d072ba5a72ea1b2, Vernon,+WI&gl=us&ei=jnQ3Ts2pIOb10gGO-qWzAw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved =0CCcQ8gEwAQ"]vernon wisconsin - Google Maps[/URL]

Here is also a concept frieght container home i have been working on !

Well i hope some of this will help other relise that there is independance and freedom out there without all the corporate monopolys.

Eventualy we will have to break free.
Worlds population is 600 billion+ and growing !

Its my dream to live in a comunitys were there are no power lines sewer and water mains and grocery stores. were we can co-exist with our neibors through trade !

heres a small documentary about off the grid living ! its in the mesa but its as real as it can get ! enjoy: [URL="http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-1339207-Off-the-Grid-Life-on-the-Mesa"]Watch Off the Grid Life on the Mesa online - Watch Movies Online, Full Movies[/URL] for best quality sockshare or putlocker

another docu about a 50 yo man named dick proneeke who scratches out a exestiance in the wilds of alaska
[url=http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-19645-Alone-in-the-Wilderness]Watch Alone in the Wilderness online - Watch Movies Online, Full Movies[/url]
for best quality sockshare or putlocker

Much love Michael.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison