U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:15 PM

11 posts, read 16,401 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone-

I am a single professional - have been a homeowner for 16 of the last 17 years - who will be relocating to Madison this summer to start a job at UW. Although I may buy in the next few years, I plan to rent till I know the area better. I've been to Madison but it was years ago (I'm originally from Chicago). Right now I live in Reno and I rent a 2/2.5 townhome with a garage, central air, all appliances and W/D for $1000 a month. Since it appears that I will not be able to park on campus and will be taking a pay decrease with my new job, I'm hoping someone can help me find something under $800/mo near a bus line in a nice part of town. I don't want to share housing and really want covered parking, a/c, and in-unit laundry. I know I'm asking a lot but after being an owner you get used to creature comforts. Also any info on best areas for a quiet single person would be great. I don't need to be downtown, but also don't want to be out in the "boonies" Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:37 PM

62 posts, read 121,399 times
In this town, most of the places with in-unit laundry and covered parking for $800 is going to be in the boonies. In fact, most apartments don't have covered parking until you get to the boonies.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:25 AM

Really? That's so odd! Here in Reno where it neither rains nor snows all that much almost all the places have garages or covered parking. Madison gets 37" of snow! You'd think people would have garages - lol I've seen a few townhomes in my price range in someplace they call Fitchburg (south of the West Town mall). How is that area? I may do a drive + bus if need be.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 PM

3,321 posts, read 2,915,743 times
Some friendly advice: Performing a simple google search with your data included will send you in the right direction. I believe you can find what you're looking for although it may not be perfect.

Also, using the search function in this forum and entering words like "fitchburg" and "southwest side" will garner information.

Madison doesn't seem to do much covered parking but there is underground parking.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:44 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,142,975 times
What streets in Fitchburg are these town houses? Overall Fitchburg is upper-middle to upper class, but there are some areas that I wouldn't want to live in there.

Red Arrow Trail comes to mind as an area I would not want to rent in.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:42 AM

@gold dust---Not sure what you mean? You mean put in my search criteria in Google and it will pop up places for rent? Have you ever used the apt search on Facebook?

The townhome out in Fichburg never replied to my email so I'm letting that one go for now. I am considering a duplex at Williamsburg Way and Verona Road. What is an appropriate rent for that area? And a home in the near east side: Tarragon Drive between Buckeye and Starker

Old 07-11-2009, 10:21 AM

3,321 posts, read 2,915,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagegal View Post
@gold dust---Not sure what you mean? You mean put in my search criteria in Google and it will pop up places for rent? Have you ever used the apt search on Facebook?

The townhome out in Fichburg never replied to my email so I'm letting that one go for now. I am considering a duplex at Williamsburg Way and Verona Road. What is an appropriate rent for that area? And a home in the near east side: Tarragon Drive between Buckeye and Starker
Yeah I mean if you do a google search for something like "rentals in Madison WI with xyz", isn't it giving you results? You can also search rent etc. in this forum as there has previously been good advice given on resources.

Sorry, I'm not a renter. I do know someone who rented in that part of Fitchburg you're referencing by the Dry Bean Saloon and it doesn't have the best rep I guess you could say. Not that you might not be fine but it is close to Allied and you will have a mixture of people. The persons I knew couldn't wait to move after a couple years but...

You should be fine safety wise on Tarragon (lots of single family)...that is not to far from my neighborhood.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:20 AM

36,348 posts, read 57,054,102 times
Quote:
Really? That's so odd! Here in Reno where it neither rains nor snows all that much almost all the places have garages or covered parking. Madison gets 37" of snow! You'd think people would have garages - lol
That's because most of Reno was built within the last half-century. The core areas of Madison (downtown and campus area) were built back when accommodating cars was not so much a necessity as a luxury, and only for those who had money for a car and space to store it. Post-war houses on the outskirts of town typically have garages. Pre-war houses are hit-or-miss, and many that do have a garage will only accommodate one car. Apartment buildings close to campus and downtown are lucky to have off-street parking at all -- and your building does, expect to pay extra if you want to park your car there. Most downtown and campus-area residents have to park on the street, and near campus and downtown that can be a nearly impossible task.

Quote:
I've seen a few townhomes in my price range in someplace they call Fitchburg (south of the West Town mall). How is that area? I may do a drive + bus if need be.
If I were you I'd do some serious in-depth research about the place on Verona and Williamsburg. That is close to some high-crime areas that have seen a lot of shootings. I don't know if the immediate area of Verona and Williamsburg is effected -- it may be perfectly fine -- but it's definitely something to look into further.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:42 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,142,975 times
Williamsburg way is not the best, but I don't think it is dangerous. It is right by the Allied Drive area and I do think there is some spill over. My impression is it is more an area for property damage (car break-ins, vandalism, etc). It is kind of slummy and I wouldn't want to live there. I've chosen to live on the east side because you get more home for your money over here, but a lot of people choose to live with less desirable housing in order to be closer to campus and the west side. You just have to decided what is more important to you.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the input on the Williamsburg Way area....the people who were looking at places for me said the same thing (without even seeing the place). Pricewise it was a great deal, but I think I've settled on Sauk Creek. I'm doing the 1BR + loft (so it's like a 2BR). It's prices and a real come down from what I have here in Reno (I thought Mad was supposed to be cheaper on the COL than Reno???) but my hope is that it's just for the first year. I plan to buy again after I'm settled and have a chance to get to know the area. Thanks for the feedback on everything!!!

Marie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison