U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,257,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Why is it a "cheap shot" if that's what they experienced? Are you denying many in WI haven't lived anywhere else? Atlanta is much more diverse than anywhere in WI
Hotlanta is the ultimate boomtown.

We have nothing like it up here, Gracias por Dios.

But that's zero to do with diversity (on an ethnic basis), where Milwaulee easily beats Ga.'s queen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,031,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Hotlanta is the ultimate boomtown.

I won't argue with that..have no reason to.

We have nothing like it up here, Gracias por Dios.

Totally agree with that, no argument.

But that's zero to do with diversity (on an ethnic basis), where Milwaulee easily beats Ga.'s queen.
It's funny the different ways people interpret posts. I don't really care about diversity...but I would like to see proof of the numbers if you are saying Milwaukee is more diverse than Atlanta. The cheap shot comment I was defending was not about diversity.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
It's funny the different ways people interpret posts. I don't really care about diversity...but I would like to see proof of the numbers if you are saying Milwaukee is more diverse than Atlanta. The cheap shot comment I was defending was not about diversity.
Hotlanta has 4 basic communities:

Blacks. Hispanics. Yankee transplants (in Southern vernacular).

Very few Atlantans (natives).

Milwaukee has:

Serbs.

Poles.

Germans.

Blacks.

Hispanics.

And, fyi, unlike Atlanta the Euro-ethnics here have kept their ethnicity alive in Milltown.

My view based on familiarity with both cities.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:12 AM

55,531 posts, read 49,473,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Hotlanta has 4 basic communities:

Blacks. Hispanics. Yankee transplants (in Southern vernacular).

Very few Atlantans (natives).

Milwaukee has:

Serbs.

Poles.

Germans.

Blacks.

Hispanics.

And, fyi, unlike Atlanta the Euro-ethnics here have kept their ethnicity alive in Milltown.

My view based on familiarity with both cities.
Not only that, Hmong population, Italians, Irish, Greeks
in short, Milwaukee has more diversity than one might think.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:16 AM

38,703 posts, read 92,493,413 times
But 1) this is not a Milwaukee forum, and 2) not sure what the "diversity" topic has to do with the OP's weather concerns.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:15 AM

966 posts, read 2,190,732 times
I agree with Drover. Looks like the thread went way off the topic. What happened?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:19 AM

38,703 posts, read 92,493,413 times
Happens sometimes. Forum conversations are fluid things.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:46 AM

1,165 posts, read 2,507,706 times
Folks this has gotten way off from what I said. I do think there is some diversity in MIlwaukee but not in the state as a whole. Northern WI is not particularly diverse and for you who think you know and haven't lived here in 25 years,south has changed quite a bit. I never knew anyone who ate squirrel until I moved to WI!!!! I met as many redecks,ignorant people up there. MY POINT IS THAT THE SOUTH DOESN'T HAVE ALL THE IGNORANT AND PREJUDICED CITIZENS!!! The difference also is that different groups do not tend to live together as in other areas. Although there are parts of Atlanta that are more Asian, etc. I never experienced different ethnic groups being isolated so to speak until I started traveling when I grew up. Our neighbors were Italian, Irish, etc. ALL ON THE SAME STREET in a little town. Not better or worse, just different.

By the way, I met people in WI who did not have indoor plumbing and weren't particularly educated and also some highly educated and well spoken people. NOT ANY DIFFERENT FROM the South. for too long, the South has been the whipping child and the but of perpetual jokes that just do not hold water any longer. There is such a thing as WISCONSIN STUPID TOO believe me.

I SAID originally that we did love the state of Wisconsin because we looked for the good and found it. It is a beautiful state but because of high taxes, it is killing industry and jobs and older people can't afford to live there. We met many older people who were moving to lower costs states because their retirement incomes weren't tax so high.

Bottom line, there is NO PERFECT place to live and there are pros and cons . I believe the quality of life is good down here as well as up there. It is what you as an individual desire.My personal quality of life in the cold and snow was negative. Now someone else may love that cold and snow. GOOD FOR THEM!!! Can't we be civil and appreciate each other?
My original point was WI was a great state but be forewarned he might encounter some prejudice. That was my true experience.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
Folks this has gotten way off from what I said. I do think there is some diversity in MIlwaukee but not in the state as a whole. Northern WI is not particularly diverse and for you who think you know and haven't lived here in 25 years,south has changed quite a bit. I never knew anyone who ate squirrel until I moved to WI!!!! I met as many redecks,ignorant people up there. MY POINT IS THAT THE SOUTH DOESN'T HAVE ALL THE IGNORANT AND PREJUDICED CITIZENS!!! The difference also is that different groups do not tend to live together as in other areas. Although there are parts of Atlanta that are more Asian, etc. I never experienced different ethnic groups being isolated so to speak until I started traveling when I grew up. Our neighbors were Italian, Irish, etc. ALL ON THE SAME STREET in a little town. Not better or worse, just different.

By the way, I met people in WI who did not have indoor plumbing and weren't particularly educated and also some highly educated and well spoken people. NOT ANY DIFFERENT FROM the South. for too long, the South has been the whipping child and the but of perpetual jokes that just do not hold water any longer. There is such a thing as WISCONSIN STUPID TOO believe me.

I SAID originally that we did love the state of Wisconsin because we looked for the good and found it. It is a beautiful state but because of high taxes, it is killing industry and jobs and older people can't afford to live there. We met many older people who were moving to lower costs states because their retirement incomes weren't tax so high.

Bottom line, there is NO PERFECT place to live and there are pros and cons . I believe the quality of life is good down here as well as up there. It is what you as an individual desire.My personal quality of life in the cold and snow was negative. Now someone else may love that cold and snow. GOOD FOR THEM!!! Can't we be civil and appreciate each other?
My original point was WI was a great state but be forewarned he might encounter some prejudice. That was my true experience.
I buy everything except that the South has changed.

I visit there often (family, ya know) and while I love surfing at Folly, and the North Ga. Mtns, it's still pretty much the same as it was in the 70's; perhaps even gone backwards some from then.

That's my true experience.

And fyi, some olders folks bail South for the climate........ then they endure a summer in Columbia or Augusta.

As for high taxes "killing jobs", not true:

We lose our jobs to China and other slave labor countries, just like the Textile industry in the Carolinas and Ga. does.

Also check the verious unemployment rates between the states.

Don't know Ga's off hand, but Wisconsin is far better than "low tax", low quality of life (parks, etc, cost money) SC.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 AM

That should be "Various" in the post above; too late to edit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison