Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 10,136 times

Advertisements

I am looking at moving to Madison from California. Before I get responses about the winters I lived in NW Michigan for ten years, so I'm familiar with the winters-there is probably more snow there than Wisconsin!

My questions/feedback are in regards to job seeking and rents. I'm hitting the job area pretty hard from the west coast (and getting some interest). I need some solid thoughts on rents for a two bedroom for about $700 a month; and any input to good job boards would be great. I work in administration/non profit work primarily. I don't want to have to drive far from home to work in winters, within (15 miles). So ideas on where to look for an apartment/house/duplex would be great.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 02:38 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessasmiles View Post
I don't want to have to drive far from home to work in winters, within (15 miles). So ideas on where to look for an apartment/house/duplex would be great.
What side of town is your job located?

Also, $700 per month for a two bedroom is *very* low for the area. Where is it located? I have a feeling it is not in a good area.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:35 PM

The job will be at the UW; however I've not found a place yet. I need at least two bedrooms. I don't want to have to go too far outside Madison to get to & from work; so am hoping some have suggestions where to look. Also, maybe if folks could let me know if there are area that are less safe (especially) for school age kids.

Thanks.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,117 times
Around downtown, a decent 2-bedroom would run you well over $1,000 a month. I've heard Middleton has good apartment prices, though, and its not a bad place to live in its own right.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:04 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,689 times
The rule is pretty universal whether it's California or Wisconsin, "cheap" apartments are usually in bad areas. If you want a cheap rental, you would have to look for something in a rural area outside of Madison, but then you are trading cheap rent for city conveniences, more options, etc. Most likely renting an older apartment, trailer, country carriage house, etc.

Check out craigslist to get an idea of what apartments go for in Madison and its suburbs...but I would suggest you get the name and location of some places that appeal to you and then ask specifically about that complex because although Madison is very nice and tame overall, there are some really raunchy apartment complexes scattered all throughout the city. I don'y want to say avoid X area because just as there is bad everywhere there is good everywhere as well. Another general rule is that the farther out the apartments, the newer and nicer they will be.

Bottom line is, you get what you pay for.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:08 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,605 times
I'll take the plunge and list off a few areas to avoid.

Allied Drive including Red Arrow Trail and adjacent streets.
Raymond Road
Williamsburg Way
Northport Drive/Packers Ave and anything remotely close to Warner Park.
School Road and surrounding area.
I would also avoid Broadway/Lakepoint in Monona
Badger Road
Fish Hatchery from Park Street until about Cahill Main
South Park Street

I *think* that is about it. Most areas of Madison are fine otherwise.

Middleton is a good suggestion. Super schools there, too.

Check out Monona. They are a little out of the way in terms of getting to just about anything, but it is a nice little town and about 20-25 minutes to campus. I haven't heard anything either way about their school district which probably means they are fine.

You might also find Sun Prairie a quick commute and I know they have low rents. If anyone knows want areas to avoid in Sun Prairie - and I know there are a few (Bird Street maybe?) - that would probably be helpful to the original poster. I have heard bad things about their school district, however.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:57 PM

129 posts, read 556,881 times
You can get relatively inexpensive apartments in nice parts of town, just not close to downtown. My BF is renting a very decent, good-sized 2-br apartment on the west side for $750.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:35 PM

I appreciate all the help. My primary concern is to have a good/safe spot for children. My younger two children are actually with me only during summer and school breaks; so places with parks/outdoor activities would be my primary concern I don't mind driving too far (not beyond 20 miles); I just hate driving long distances during winter. For a couple of months in Michigan I drove almost 100 miles each way in January and February. Never again.

I know that if you get outside Madison proper the rents drop. I was thinking of Middleton as a possibility.

Thanks again.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:44 PM

17 posts, read 46,830 times
I've been renting in Fitchburg for the past 4 years, here are the places I highly recommend:
Seminole Woods: Apartment Showcase of Wisconsin | Seminole Woods, you'll pay about $800-$850 for a 2 br/1bath. Nice area, nice neighbors, heater underground parking (not included).
Viroqua at Pine Ridge: The Viroqua at Pine Ridge
2 car attached garages, 2br, 2bath will cost you about $925.

Anything in the $700/month range is a gamble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison