Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 8,819 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been reading through the many discussions you all have here and am really heartened by the helpfulness of people on this site. It reflects well on Madison, which I guess is why I'm thinking of heading your way...

So here's my specific question: I'm looking for houses in the Spaight-Atwood-Jenifer kind of area and one thing I've noticed is that the houses that are in my price range and that I'm attracted to, frequently lack garages. Now I am a WI native (from a suburb of Milwaukee) and from what I remember of winters there, it seems like a garage is kind of a necessary item unless I want to spend a heck of a lot of time unburying my car during the frigid winter months. Am I missing something? Are people parking somewhere else or is it really just that some people don't mind not having a garage? Is there any chance that I could build one on any of these properties, or do you think it's likely that they don't have one because space prohibits?

As I will be newly divorced and starting my life anew again in a new city at the ripe old age of 37, I feel like I really need to be somewhere where it will be easy for me to walk out my door and walk to places or get on the bike path and take a ride, and this area is one that friends who used to live in Madison think will be one that will fit me well. But it's tough finding one with all the things I'm looking for...which is OK for now, as my soon to be ex-husband and I have to sell our current house first in Iowa and who knows how long that could take, but I'm just trying to focus on my future for now, so thanks for helping me with any thoughts you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 07:30 PM

286 posts, read 1,118,594 times
I think the trick is that the lots in that neighborhood are quite small, so generally there's simply not space for a garage, and in many cases, not space for off-street parking period. This higher population density is part of what makes the area so walkable and therefore desirable, so it's a tricky balance, really. Fortunately as you say, the area is very walkable and has decent bus service, so we only rarely needed to clear off the car when we lived there because we hardly ever used it. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:32 PM

284 posts, read 1,167,585 times
Not sure where you plan to work, but this neighborhood is well-serviced by the bus system. Last winter, I rarely used my car to get around. If we needed to use it, we parked it at the end of the driveway so we didn't have much shoveling to do. Unless you are relying on your car to get to and from work each day, a garage is not necessary, in my opinion. I moved here from Boston (lots of snow, not quite as cold) and we survived without one. For what it's worth, I think don't think it's too difficult to find properties where building a garage is possible. My next door neighbor is building one now!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 8,819 times
Thanks for those replies! I actually do the majority of my work from home, and will only have to travel by car for work a few times each month, so it's true that it will not be a daily need. However, I was thinking for groceries, visiting my mom (who is getting up in years and shouldn't be driving herself), etc. Still, it may not be necessary (or I may be able to find space to build one at some point if I feel like it is!). I appreciate the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison