U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2009, 09:17 PM
 
3,320 posts, read 4,704,710 times
Reputation: 11125

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Drover, one does not preclude the other. No way to prove it, in any case. You are free to draw your own conclusions, of course. I have learned that it is best not to argue about these things.
I agree, just because she was subtly warned there is an oddball older woman resident doesn't mean this woman couldn't be a racist. General statement that someone is "crazy" doesn't mean it has been clinically diagnosed either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,838,061 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Having grown up on Air Force bases, and having spent most of my years in multicultural settings, I have friends, students, and colleagues from all over the world. Admittedly, race is not always the issue, certainly not the only issue, but when it is an issue it is not healthy to deny it.
I would imagine it's also not healthy to nonetheless leap to that conclusion even when an alternative explanation is staring you right in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I agree, just because she was subtly warned there is an oddball older woman resident doesn't mean this woman couldn't be a racist. General statement that someone is "crazy" doesn't mean it has been clinically diagnosed either.
Right, just because you can't prove it's racism doesn't mean we shouldn't glibly leap to that conclusion anyway even when a plausible alternative explanation already exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 09:56 PM
 
3,320 posts, read 4,704,710 times
Reputation: 11125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I would imagine it's also not healthy to nonetheless leap to that conclusion even when an alternative explanation is staring you right in the face.

What is the alternative explanation staring her right in the face?? Do tell if you're going to make an issue of it. You wern't there ... you don't know!


Right, just because you can't prove it's racism doesn't mean we shouldn't glibly leap to that conclusion anyway even when a plausible alternative explanation already exists.
I wasn't there and I have no idea. I don't feel the need to even make a judgement as far as racism is concerned. I simply said that the neighbors actions seemed rude. If Nala thinks it was a racial thing...I can accept and believe her. I am not black...so how would I know about that? You are placing quite a bit of importance on a statement from another neighbor that wasn't explicit.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 09-28-2009 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Pkwy (da Bronx)
966 posts, read 2,041,396 times
Reputation: 552
In any case, folks, this thread was about whether or not Madisonians are friendly. Whatever this woman's motives were, not by any real stretch of imagination could any of us say that her behavior was appropriate.

True, gold*dust, my younger neighbor never came and out and said she was crazy. What is even more curious is that we crossed paths in another context (at work). Turns out she is either a counselor or a case worker. In my life, I have come across people who are comfortable with Black people or other people of color in one context (as clients, entertainers, colleagues at work, etc.) but not in other contexts (the front porch...lol). Who knows, for goodness' sake? All I know is that her reaction to me was off the charts, and I did feel that race was a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 10:10 PM
 
3,320 posts, read 4,704,710 times
Reputation: 11125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
In any case, folks, this thread was about whether or not Madisonians are friendly. Whatever this woman's motives were, not by any real stretch of imagination could any of us say that her behavior was appropriate.

True, gold*dust, my younger neighbor never came and out and said she was crazy. What is even more curious is that we crossed paths in another context (at work). Turns out she is either a counselor or a case worker. In my life, I have come across people who are comfortable with Black people or other people of color in one context (as clients, entertainers, colleagues at work, etc.) but not in other contexts (the front porch...lol). Who knows, for goodness sake? All I know is that her reaction to me was off the charts, and I did feel that race was a factor.
And you are perfectly entitled to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,838,061 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I wasn't there and I have no idea. I don't feel the need to even make a judgement as far as racisim is concerned. I simply said that the neighbors actions seemed rude. If Nala thinks it was a racial thing...I can accept and believe her. I am not black...so how would I know about that? You are placing quite a bit of importance on a statement from another neighbor that wasn't explicit.
Even without the neighbor's less-than-explicit warning, how does she know? Did the lady have "I'm rude to you because I'm racist" scrawled across her forehead? I'm not going to BS anyone and say that incidents like this are never motivated by racial animus. But I also do not accept that it always is either. Or even most of the time. In reality, I don't know, but the thing is, neither do you and neither does she unless there's an explicit expression of racism. This type of thing happens for numerous reasons besides racism, so why leap to that conclusion first without any evidence of it whatsoever? Weird, rude and crappy things happen to white people too. Minorities do not have that market cornered.

So if she wants to cry "racism!" because some crazy lady acted crazy at her, I hope she doesn't don't expect anyone to conflate that with actual, blatant and consequential discrimination. It's not like she was were denied a job or a home loan or even told to sit at a separate counter. Some crazy lady snapped at her. That's it. So she can brush it off as a crazy lady being crazy, or she can assume it was motivated by racism and let every other perceived or imagined incidence of racism get under her skin and color her perceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Pkwy (da Bronx)
966 posts, read 2,041,396 times
Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
And you are perfectly entitled to that.
Oh yeah. (Singing, "You say tomato. I say tomahto...")

I really appreciate your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Pkwy (da Bronx)
966 posts, read 2,041,396 times
Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Even without the neighbor's less-than-explicit warning, how does she know? Did the lady have "I'm rude to you because I'm racist" scrawled across her forehead? I'm not going to BS anyone and say that incidents like this are never motivated by racial animus. But I also do not accept that it always is either. Or even most of the time. In reality, I don't know, but the thing is, neither do you and neither does she unless there's an explicit expression of racism. This type of thing happens for numerous reasons besides racism, so why leap to that conclusion first without any evidence of it whatsoever? Weird, rude and crappy things happen to white people too. Minorities do not have that market cornered.

So if she wants to cry "racism!" because some crazy lady acted crazy at her, I hope she doesn't don't expect anyone to conflate that with actual, blatant and consequential discrimination. It's not like she was were denied a job or a home loan or even told to sit at a separate counter. Some crazy lady snapped at her. That's it. So she can brush it off as a crazy lady being crazy, or she can assume it was motivated by racism and let every other perceived or imagined incidence of racism get under her skin and color her perceptions.
lol... Good night, Drover. As usual, let's just agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 10:26 PM
 
3,320 posts, read 4,704,710 times
Reputation: 11125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Even without the neighbor's less-than-explicit warning, how does she know? Did the lady have "I'm rude to you because I'm racist" scrawled across her forehead? I'm not going to BS anyone and say that incidents like this are never motivated by racial animus. But I also do not accept that it always is either. Or even most of the time. In reality, I don't know, but the thing is, neither do you and neither does she unless there's an explicit expression of racism. This type of thing happens for numerous reasons besides racism, so why leap to that conclusion first without any evidence of it whatsoever? Weird, rude and crappy things happen to white people too. Minorities do not have that market cornered.

So if she wants to cry "racism!" because some crazy lady acted crazy at her, I hope she doesn't don't expect anyone to conflate that with actual, blatant and consequential discrimination. It's not like she was were denied a job or a home loan or even told to sit at a separate counter. Some crazy lady snapped at her. That's it. So she can brush it off as a crazy lady being crazy, or she can assume it was motivated by racism and let every other perceived or imagined incidence of racism get under her skin and color her perceptions.
Well see that's the thing, she may know because SHE was there. You are running with the "crazy lady thing" and Nala has now said the neighbor never used the word crazy. Maybe the neighbor meant to say racist.

At any rate, Nala comes across as being intelligent and so I choose to take her at her word. I do place a lot of importance on intuition and there are a lot of things that aren't explicit but we just know that they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,838,061 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Well see that's the thing, she may know because SHE was there. You are running with the "crazy lady thing" and Nala has now said the neighbor never used the word crazy. Maybe the neighbor meant to say racist.

At any rate, Nala comes across as being intelligent and so I choose to take her at her word. I do place a lot of importance on intuition and there are a lot of things that aren't explicit but we just know that they are.
She was there, but her only evidence is her own biases and perception. You may find that to be compelling evidence, but I don't. And constantly shouting "racism" at every perceived slight doesn't really do much to help the cause of racial harmony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top