U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2009, 01:49 AM
 
3,320 posts, read 4,701,616 times
Reputation: 11125

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
1) I am not studying arguing as a profession. Another example of you making crap up. What's your obsession with this?

2) You claimed she has recounted an overt act of racism. Since you're fond of saying "you weren't there," perhaps it's too obvious to point out that you weren't either. Therefore, we're left to rely on her recollection of events. And even she doesn't claim it was overt racism, nor does her description of events describe an overt act of racism. At best it describes an overt act of abrasion, which may or may not have been covertly motivated by racism. I don't know if it was, but neither do you and neither does Nala8. She assumes it was. And I consider that an unfortunate assumption.
There was nothing out of context in my sentence so you are wrong and you accused me of not even understanding what the word means..wrong again! Since I wasn't there I was speaking hypothetically. I wasn't even speaking about her porch incident in that sentence.

Don't put it out there where various people have commented on what you're studying and then tell me I'm making crap up. You best get used to the jokes, as if you ever earn the degree and actually go to work you will be the butt of many!!!

GOOD NIGHT

PS I feel sorry for your wife if you really have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2009, 02:03 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Reputation: 29355
Seriously dude, you've got issues. I am not studying arguing as a profession and I have never claimed that I am. So yes, you're making crap up. You even make crap up about not making crap up. It appears to be a pathological problem of yours. Consider seeking professional help.

You claimed she has recounted overt acts of racism. She hasn't, and you can't provide any examples where she has. You're just plain wrong, so be man enough to admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Bay View, Milwaukee
2,071 posts, read 4,001,371 times
Reputation: 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Seriously dude, you've got issues. I am not studying arguing as a profession and I have never claimed that I am. So yes, you're making crap up. You even make crap up about not making crap up. It appears to be a pathological problem of yours. Consider seeking professional help.

You claimed she has recounted overt acts of racism. She hasn't, and you can't provide any examples where she has. You're just plain wrong, so be man enough to admit it.
Good grief. Here's what she said, with some key items in bold:

"To answer your question, mostly I have come across people who seem fearful because of my race, or whatever assumptions they harbor about Black people. Luckily, in most cases, they calm down if I don't become reactive in return or if I just continue being myself. For instance, the first time I decided to sit out on the porch of my new apartment building, a neighbor came flying out of her apartment and onto the porch demanding to know if I lived there. After missing a beat or two, I just simply answered her question and introduced myself to her. She hasn't been much of a problem since then, but she gives me the creeps--staring at me, getting nervous around me, acting as if I am from the Planet Zaytar. lol."

The OP did say "seem"--this isn't "overt." She has also tactfully conceded that other explanations may apply. And I dunno--maybe the porch woman accosts all strangers sitting around on nearby porches, but based on the details provided, it's hard to believe that race couldn't be a factor. But I'll withhold my judgment until you conduct your empirical study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 06:57 AM
 
4,721 posts, read 13,612,077 times
Reputation: 4685
Drover<Dont know how you feel about lawyers so I hope you dont take this as an insult, but you would make an excellent Attorney.
Though,I do realize some will find " excellent Attorney" an oxymoron.
I always find your summations in posts very interesting and diligent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 08:05 AM
 
1,340 posts, read 2,430,672 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Hey again. Thanks for the good wishes.

To answer your question, mostly I have come across people who seem fearful because of my race, or whatever assumptions they harbor about Black people. Luckily, in most cases, they calm down if I don't become reactive in return or if I just continue being myself. For instance, the first time I decided to sit out on the porch of my new apartment building, a neighbor came flying out of her apartment and onto the porch demanding to know if I lived there. After missing a beat or two, I just simply answered her question and introduced myself to her. She hasn't been much of a problem since then, but she gives me the creeps--staring at me, getting nervous around me, acting as if I am from the Planet Zaytar. lol. Thank goodness she is outnumbered by the neighbors who have been friendly and welcoming.

Another thing that some (not all) Madisonians seem to fear about me is that I am very socially outgoing and talkative. So weird. In New York City, I would be considered to be pretty alive and vibrant, but not overbearing or too much for them. This past three weeks or so, going on a month, I have had to find a way to tone it down a bit while not selling out on myself or being someone or something I am not. Most people have told me that they like my positive energy, and many of the students I work with have found that they feel calm, happy, and creative with me. Go figure. I guess I just have to find my own happy medium.

Oh well, there is still something about Madison that I love. It is so beautiful here. There have been some nights I have regretted coming back here, but mostly I have no regrets. I am so busy writing, composing, enjoying myself, working, looking for more work, and hopefully finding a cafe where I can start hosting an open mic series that I don't spend too much time focusing on negative or reactive people. That would be counterproductive, especially since, as I have said before, in any city you will find all kinds of people. Besides, thirteen years of living in New York City have taught me that if you focus too much in return on fearful people, you wind up confirming their fears or their fearful misbeliefs. Unless they are standing in your way, it's best to just "keep it moving," as they say in the Big Apple.
Parts of Madison are going "ghetto", something yupps thought impossible, and a lot of them are freaking.
Good Luck to You !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 AM
 
1,340 posts, read 2,430,672 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I would imagine it's also not healthy to nonetheless leap to that conclusion even when an alternative explanation is staring you right in the face.


Right, just because you can't prove it's racism doesn't mean we shouldn't glibly leap to that conclusion anyway even when a plausible alternative explanation already exists.
You'd have to awfully dumb to think anything else in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Pkwy (da Bronx)
966 posts, read 2,040,209 times
Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Parts of Madison are going "ghetto", something yupps thought impossible, and a lot of them are freaking.
Good Luck to You !
Yes, Wingfoot, I am well aware of this change. I actually work part-time in an area of Madison that has gone "ghetto," and I have found that even in this area of town one must use good common sense and not assume that every Black or Latino person you meet there is going to mug you or worse. Keep your wits about you, but also understand that negativity usually begets negativity. Ironically, living in NYC has prepared me for teaching in Madison's version of "the hood." lol.

This has turned out to be an interesting dialogue. I agree that one shouldn't jump to conclusions--on either end--which stops us from seeing each other clearly. Not all Madisonians are friendly or unfriendly. Not all Blacks or Latinos are out to get you. lol. Negative behavior on the part of White Madisonians is not to be assumed to stem from racism (either overt or covert), but when it does involve racism accept it or whenever possible deal with it compassionately and openly. Arguing gets us no where, imo, and denial gets us no where--i.e. in terms of moving toward racial healing or racial harmony.

I still think that most Madisonians--White, Black, Latino, you name it--are genuinely friendly. But does that mean that we should deny that we, like any other city, do have our share of problems? I just don't get either-or thinking. Just doesn't work on my planet.

Good luck? lol. Thank you. I say good luck to us all. Madison is changing. The whole world is changing.

Last edited by Nala8; 09-29-2009 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 10:27 AM
 
3,320 posts, read 4,701,616 times
Reputation: 11125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Seriously dude, you've got issues. I am not studying arguing as a profession and I have never claimed that I am. So yes, you're making crap up. You even make crap up about not making crap up. It appears to be a pathological problem of yours. Consider seeking professional help.

You claimed she has recounted overt acts of racism. She hasn't, and you can't provide any examples where she has. You're just plain wrong, so be man enough to admit it.
No I didn't claim she had recounted overt acts of racism. What I said, was that I wouldn't be shocked or surprised to hear she may have encountered overt racism in Madison.

You're showing your own character flaws with the rest of your diatribe. I've seen several people refer to your studying for a JD and I believe it was also in your profile at one point. Too bad you don't like or get my joke about "it" being arguing for a profession.

I don't appreciate you claiming it is argument if I want to challenge your comments and that to do so I have pathological issues, am a man or a dude, but seriously get over it, so what!! Your "carving on my forehead comment" speaks volumes about you. I find it funny you think you set the rules and are the final judge as to what is debate, makes sense or is argument. I already made my points over and over. Twist them at will all you want...I'm done.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 09-29-2009 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
No I didn't claim she had recounted overt acts of racism. What I said, was that I wouldn't be shocked or surprised to hear she may have encountered overt racism in Madison.
Allow me to lay it out for you in a nice little tree so it's easy for you to follow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Let's look at the facts though. Black girl comes from NYC to Madison, WI, a predominantly white city. Would it be shocking to find she may encounter some overt racism?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So far she hasn't recounted any examples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
She did provide an example and I choose to take her at her word on her perception of what she experienced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
You're showing your own character flaws with the rest of your diatribe. I've seen several people refer to your studying for a JD and I believe it was also in your profile at one point. Too bad you don't like or get my joke about "it" being arguing for a profession.

I don't appreciate you claiming it is argument if I want to challenge your comments and that to do so I have pathological issues, am a man or a dude, but seriously get over it, so what!! Your "carving on my forehead comment" speaks volumes about you. I find it funny you think you set the rules and are the final judge as to what is debate, makes sense or is argument. I already made my points over and over. Twist them at will all you want...I'm done.
You've been in over your head for a long time now. It's time to move on.

Last edited by Drover; 09-29-2009 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Pkwy (da Bronx)
966 posts, read 2,040,209 times
Reputation: 552
Sometimes it is best to walk away from circular arguments based on gross overgeneralizations, blind assumptions, either-or dogmatic thinking, and mudslinging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top